Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Interactive PXE Boot Menu
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Interactive PXE Boot Menu Post 302591808 by ceb on Friday 20th of January 2012 04:14:31 PM
Old 01-20-2012
Ok I see what you mean, but I still do not understand how I can prompt the user for a kickstart file path, store their input in a variable, and then reference said variable when I pass the ks= kernel commandline option. I understand how the PXE menu works, but the problem is that our menu file is growing rapidly as we add distros, and I have been asked specifically to get it down to one default entry. If there is a way to reference the user's input (other than by using a label) then this can be easily accomplished. I do not think this is possible to do at this point, however.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PXE boot port issue

Hi,all: I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed ! It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....- PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received. Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found I use the nettl command to trace the UDP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluepluto
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive menu

Hi ,some time ago i did an interactive menu based on eval function for navigation , one of the post remind me it. I think it could be handy for others. #!/usr/bin/ksh keyRead () { tput smso echo "Enter option." tput rmso oldstty=$(stty -g) stty -icanon -echo min 1 time 1 Answer=$(dd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting up a PXE Boot Server

I've set up a PXE boot server and I'm having a slight snag in the booting process. On the client machine, DHCP renders fine and TFTP seems to begin but then the system hangs. On the server, the error message "Client does not accept options" occurs -- which from reading online is a common message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colton
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive Array Menu

This should be simple, but i haven't done it before... KSH I am reading a file into an array and currently displaying the values to the screen. What I need to do is to display a subset of those values, likely numbered, and prompt the user to select one. When they enter the number, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gecko2424
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

7. Solaris

custom jumpstart on x86 with DHCP/PXE goes into interactive mode

client boots fine, it gets the ip 192.168.0.10 and the bootfile. Then there is : SunOS 5.10 Version Generic_141445-09 32-bit" ... Configuring devices. Custom JumpStart Reading ZFS config: done Setting up Java. Please wait ... NOTE: Not enough memory for graphical installation. Graphical... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
4 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

9. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

pxe boot server

Hi Hoping someone can help ove setup a pxe/dhcp boot server for auto installs on centos My server seems to be providing dhcp fine but the installation fails to progress when it reaches the pxe boot menu. I make my selection and nothing happens. I am serving the media via http from the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
3 Replies
ckitem(1)							   User Commands							 ckitem(1)

NAME
ckitem, erritem, helpitem - build a menu; prompt for and return a menu item SYNOPSIS
ckitem [-Q] [-W width] [-uno] [-f filename] [-l label] [ [-i invis] [,...]] [-m max] [-d default] [-h help] [-e error] [-p prompt] [ -k pid [-s signal]] [ choice [...]] /usr/sadm/bin/erritem [-W width] [-e error] [ choice [..]] /usr/sadm/bin/helpitem [-W width] [-h help] [ choice [..]] DESCRIPTION
The ckitem utility builds a menu and prompts the user to choose one item from a menu of items. It then verifies the response. Options for this command define, among other things, a prompt message whose response will be a menu item, text for help and error messages, and a default value (which will be returned if the user responds with a carriage return). By default, the menu is formatted so that each item is prepended by a number and is printed in columns across the terminal. Column length is determined by the longest choice. Items are alphabetized. All messages are limited in length to 70 characters and are formatted automatically. Any white space used in the definition (including new- line) is stripped. The -W option cancels the automatic formatting. When a tilde is placed at the beginning or end of a message definition, the default text will be inserted at that point, allowing both custom text and the default text to be displayed. If the prompt, help or error message is not defined, the default message (as defined under NOTES) will be displayed. Two visual tool modules are linked to the ckitem command. They are erritem (which formats and displays an error message) and helpitem (which formats and displays a help message). These modules should be used in conjunction with FML objects. In this instance, the FML object defines the prompt. When choice is defined in these modules, the messages will describe the available menu choice (or choices). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d default Define the default value as default. The default is not validated and so does not have to meet any criteria. -e error Define the error message as error. -f filename Define a file, filename, which contains a list of menu items to be displayed. (The format of this file is: token<tab>description. Lines beginning with a pound sign (#) are designated as comments and ignored.) -h help Define the help messages as help. -i invis Define invisible menu choices (those which will not be printed in the menu). (For example, ``all'' used as an invisible choice would mean it is a legal option but does not appear in the menu. Any number of invisible choices may be defined.) Invisible choices should be made known to a user either in the prompt or in a help message. -k pid Specify that the process ID pid is to be sent a signal if the user chooses to abort. -l label Define a label, label, to print above the menu. -m max Define the maximum number of menu choices that the user can choose. The default is 1. -n Specify that menu items should not be displayed in alphabetical order. -o Specify that only one menu token will be returned. -p prompt Define the prompt message as prompt. -Q Specify that quit will not be allowed as a valid response. -s signal Specify that process ID pid defined with the -k option is to be sent signal signal when quit is chosen. If no signal is specified, SIGTERM is used. -u Specify that menu items should be displayed as an unnumbered list. -W width Specify that prompt, help and error messages will be formatted to a line length of width. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: choice Define menu items. Items should be separated by white space or newline. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful execution. 1 EOF on input, or negative width on -W option, or inability to open file on -f option, or usage error. 3 User termination (quit). 4 No choices from which to choose. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
The user may input the number of the menu item if choices are numbered or as much of the string required for a unique identification of the item. Long menus are paged with 10 items per page. When menu entries are defined both in a file (by using the -f option) and also on the command line, they are usually combined alphabeti- cally. However, if the -n option is used to suppress alphabetical ordering, then the entries defined in the file are shown first, followed by the options defined on the command line. The default prompt for ckitem is: Enter selection [?,??,q]: One question mark will give a help message and then redisplay the prompt. Two question marks will give a help message and then redisplay the menu label, the menu and the prompt. The default error message if you typed a number is: ERROR: Bad numeric choice specification The default error message if you typed a string is: ERROR: Entry does not match available menu selection. Enter the number of the menu item you wish to select, the token which is associated with the menu item, or a partial string which uniquely identifies the token for the menu item. Enter ?? to reprint the menu. The default help message is: Enter the number of the menu item you wish to select, the token which is associated with the menu item, or a partial string which uniquely identifies the token for the menu item. Enter ? to reprint the menu. When the quit option is chosen (and allowed), q is returned along with the return code 3. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ckitem(1)