Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Empty directory, large size and performance Post 302591749 by verdepollo on Friday 20th of January 2012 12:21:00 PM
Old 01-20-2012
Quote:
Does the filesystem check somethings beforehand related to that number on the directory that could impact performance in the long run?
No. No performance hits are directly related to inode information - not since 2.6 kernel branch.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix File System performance with large directories

Hi, how does the Unix File System perform with large directories (containing ~30.000 files)? What kind of structure is used for the organization of a directory's content, linear lists, (binary) trees? I hope the description 'Unix File System' is exact enough, I don't know more about the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dive
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Empty directories having different size

$ls -lrt mydir total 12 drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nobody 512 Aug 8 11:51 tmp drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nobody 4608 Jan 19 12:20 web.cache $ ls -lrt mydir/web.cache/ total 0 $ ls -lrt mydir/tmp/ total 0 Can anyone explain me the above results? I know the o/p of ls, but this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Empty Directory, big size

Hello, Can somebody please explain why I have EMPTY directories on HP-UX with BIG SIZE ? Thank you ! Double post, continued here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Empty Directory, big size

Hello, Can you please explain why I have various empty directories with large size ? OS is B.11.11 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data

Background ------------- The Unix flavor can be any amongst Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Linux. I have below 2 flat files. File-1 ------ Contains 50,000 rows with 2 fields in each row, separated by pipe. Row structure is like Object_Id|Object_Name, as following: 111|XXX 222|YYY 333|ZZZ ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in Grepping large files

I have around 300 files(*.rdf,*.fmb,*.pll,*.ctl,*.sh,*.sql,*.prog) which are of large size. Around 8000 keywords(which will be in the file $keywordfile) needed to be searched inside those files. If a keyword is found in a file..I have to insert the filename,extension,catagoery,keyword,occurrence... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command to extract empty field in a large UNIX file?

Hi All, I have records in unix file like below. In this file, we have empty fields from 4th Column to 22nd Column. I have some 200000 records in a file. I want to extract records only which have empty fields from 4th field to 22nd filed. This file is comma separated file. what is the unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script search, improve performance with large files

Hello, For several of our scripts we are using awk to search patterns in files with data from other files. This works almost perfectly except that it takes ages to run on larger files. I am wondering if there is a way to speed up this process or have something else that is quicker with the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
15 Replies
GIT-PACK-REFS(1)						    Git Manual							  GIT-PACK-REFS(1)

NAME
git-pack-refs - Pack heads and tags for efficient repository access SYNOPSIS
git pack-refs [--all] [--no-prune] DESCRIPTION
Traditionally, tips of branches and tags (collectively known as refs) were stored one file per ref in a (sub)directory under $GIT_DIR/refs directory. While many branch tips tend to be updated often, most tags and some branch tips are never updated. When a repository has hundreds or thousands of tags, this one-file-per-ref format both wastes storage and hurts performance. This command is used to solve the storage and performance problem by storing the refs in a single file, $GIT_DIR/packed-refs. When a ref is missing from the traditional $GIT_DIR/refs directory hierarchy, it is looked up in this file and used if found. Subsequent updates to branches always create new files under $GIT_DIR/refs directory hierarchy. A recommended practice to deal with a repository with too many refs is to pack its refs with --all once, and occasionally run git pack-refs. Tags are by definition stationary and are not expected to change. Branch heads will be packed with the initial pack-refs --all, but only the currently active branch heads will become unpacked, and the next pack-refs (without --all) will leave them unpacked. OPTIONS
--all The command by default packs all tags and refs that are already packed, and leaves other refs alone. This is because branches are expected to be actively developed and packing their tips does not help performance. This option causes branch tips to be packed as well. Useful for a repository with many branches of historical interests. --no-prune The command usually removes loose refs under $GIT_DIR/refs hierarchy after packing them. This option tells it not to. BUGS
Older documentation written before the packed-refs mechanism was introduced may still say things like ".git/refs/heads/<branch> file exists" when it means "branch <branch> exists". GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-PACK-REFS(1)