Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Last occurrence of code between two tags Post 302591723 by mirni on Friday 20th of January 2012 11:32:05 AM
Old 01-20-2012
Quote:
I ran the command
Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/<user>user1/&&/response2>/{p=$0}END{print p}' RS= logForum.txt on the code snippet (saved in logForum.txt) given in previous post.
It gives me nothing in the output.
That's because you didn't copy it correctly from Scrutinizer's post:
Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/<userId>user1/&&/<response2>/{p=$0}END{print p}' RS= 

since your sample input contained <userId> tag but not <user> tag.

The reason why it's not giving you what you want on your real input is because from what i see now, the responses are not separated by empy lines, like you posted before. Try to pre-process the file by inserting an empty line before opening <response[0-9]*> tag and after closing tag:
Code:
sed -e 's/.*<response[0-9]*>.*/\n&/; s/<\/response[0-9]*>/&\n/' inputFile | 
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '/<user>user1<\/user>/&&/response2/{p=$0}END{print p}' RS=

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace second occurrence only

HPUX /bin/sh (posix) I have a file as such cat dog mouse deer elk rabbit mouse rat pig I would like to replace the second occurrence of mouse in this file with mouse2. The rest of the file has to stay exactly as is. I'm not sure exactly where mouse might be (could be first,second,third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of occurrence

: i need a bash script to convert the displayed output 12 14 15 12 15 13 to 12 * 2 ,13 * 1,14*1,15*1 Thanks, nevil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nevil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute first occurrence of keyword if occurrence between two other keywords

Assume a string that contains one or multiple occurrences of three different keywords (abbreviated as "kw"). I would like to replace kw2 with some other string, say "qux". Specifically, I would like to replace that occurrence of kw2 that is the first one that is preceded by kw1 somewhere in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: M Gruenstaeudl
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Code for exact match to count occurrence

Hi all, I have an input file as below. I would like to count the occurrence of pattern matching 8th field for each line. Input: field_01 field_02 field_03 field_04 field_05 field_06 field_07 field_08 TA T TA T TA TA TA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of last occurrence match

Hi, i have file file.txt with data like: START 03:11:30 a 03:11:40 b END START 03:13:30 eee 03:13:35 fff END jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj START 03:14:30 eee 03:15:30 fff END ggggggggggg iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I want the below output START (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jyotshna
13 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)