Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Interactive PXE Boot Menu
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Interactive PXE Boot Menu Post 302591679 by ceb on Friday 20th of January 2012 10:22:43 AM
Old 01-20-2012
Interactive PXE Boot Menu

I have been asked to modify our PXE server such that there will be only one entry in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, where the same kernel and initrd.img will be used regardless of what operating system is to be installed, and the user will type in the path to the kickstart file that will be used. I have attempted to complete this task by using a modular kickstart, and asking for user input in the %pre section, which failed miserably. I have also looked into the possibility of getting user input from the PXE boot menu. Is it somehow possible to refer back to the user input when using prompt 1....label? Can this information be referenced other than by using label? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Unfortunately, installing extra packages or tools on our pxe server is not an option.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PXE boot port issue

Hi,all: I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed ! It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....- PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received. Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found I use the nettl command to trace the UDP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluepluto
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive menu

Hi ,some time ago i did an interactive menu based on eval function for navigation , one of the post remind me it. I think it could be handy for others. #!/usr/bin/ksh keyRead () { tput smso echo "Enter option." tput rmso oldstty=$(stty -g) stty -icanon -echo min 1 time 1 Answer=$(dd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting up a PXE Boot Server

I've set up a PXE boot server and I'm having a slight snag in the booting process. On the client machine, DHCP renders fine and TFTP seems to begin but then the system hangs. On the server, the error message "Client does not accept options" occurs -- which from reading online is a common message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colton
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive Array Menu

This should be simple, but i haven't done it before... KSH I am reading a file into an array and currently displaying the values to the screen. What I need to do is to display a subset of those values, likely numbered, and prompt the user to select one. When they enter the number, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gecko2424
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

7. Solaris

custom jumpstart on x86 with DHCP/PXE goes into interactive mode

client boots fine, it gets the ip 192.168.0.10 and the bootfile. Then there is : SunOS 5.10 Version Generic_141445-09 32-bit" ... Configuring devices. Custom JumpStart Reading ZFS config: done Setting up Java. Please wait ... NOTE: Not enough memory for graphical installation. Graphical... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
4 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

9. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

pxe boot server

Hi Hoping someone can help ove setup a pxe/dhcp boot server for auto installs on centos My server seems to be providing dhcp fine but the installation fails to progress when it reaches the pxe boot menu. I make my selection and nothing happens. I am serving the media via http from the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
3 Replies
GFXBOOT(8)						       System configuration							GFXBOOT(8)

NAME
gfxboot - graphical boot screen test and config tool SYNOPSIS
gfxboot [ OPTIONS ] ARGS DESCRIPTION
gfxboot modifies and tests graphical boot loader configuration. OPTIONS
General options -a, --archive FILE|DIRECTORY Use FILE as gfxboot archive (default is /boot/message). If it points to a directory, assume it is an expanded archive (see --expand-archive option below). -v, --verbose Increase verbosity. --save-temp Keep temporary files. --version Show gfxboot version. --help Print usage. Switching themes --new-theme THEME Activate THEME. Theme files are stored in /etc/bootsplash/themes/THEME/bootloader. --update-theme THEME Activate THEME but keep language settings from current gfxboot archive. Changing gfxboot config --show-config Show gfxboot config file (gfxboot.cfg). --change-config [SECTION1::]OPTION1=FOO1 [SECTION2::]OPTION2=FOO2 ... Change gfxboot config options. If sections are omitted, section "base" is used. --rm-config [SECTION1::]OPTION1 [SECTION2::]OPTION2 ... Delete gfxboot config options. If sections are omitted, section "base" is used. --rm-section SECTION1 SECTION2 ... Delete sections in gfxboot config file. --default-language LANG Make LANG the default language. LANG is a locale string (e.g. en_US). --add-languages LANG1 LANG2 ... Add translation files. --rm-languages LANG1 LANG2 ... Remove translation files. --config-file FILE Don't work on gfxboot.cfg from gfxboot archive but on FILE. NOTE: FILE will be modified even with "--test". Preview/test gfxboot setup -p, --preview Try current config (needs some virtual machine). -t, --test Test only (don't actually change any files). -b, --bootloader BOOTLOADER Use BOOTLOADER (grub, lilo, isolinux, syslinux, pxelinux) for preview. -m, --vm VM Use virtual machine VM (bochs, qemu, qemu32, qemu64, vbox, vbox64, vmplayer, vmware) for preview. --grub DIRECTORY|RPM Use grub from DIRECTORY or RPM (default is /). --lilo DIRECTORY|RPM Use lilo from DIRECTORY or RPM (default is /). --syslinux DIRECTORY|RPM Use syslinux from DIRECTORY or RPM (default is /). --isolinux DIRECTORY|RPM Use isolinux from DIRECTORY or RPM (default is /). --pxelinux DIRECTORY|RPM Use pxelinux from DIRECTORY or RPM (default is /). --password PASSWORD Create test config with PASSWORD for preview. --32 Create 32 bit test image. --64 Create 64 bit test image. --biarch Create biarch test image (same as using --32 and --64). --cdrom, --dvd Create iso image for preview. --disk Create harddisk image for preview. --floppy Create floppy image for preview. --net Create tftp directory for preview. --save-image FILE Copy preview image to FILE. --test-add-files FILE1 FILE2 ... Add files to test directory. --test-rm-files FILE1 FILE2 ... Delete files from test directory. Adding/removing files from gfxboot archive --ls, --list-files List gfxboot archive files. --add-files FILE1 FILE2 ... Add files to gfxboot archive. --rm-files FILE1 FILE2 ... Delete files from gfxboot archive. --extract-files FILE1 FILE2 ... Copy files from gfxboot archive to current working directory. --show-file FILE Print FILE. --expand-archive DIRECTORY Create expanded gfxboot archive version in DIRECTORY. That is, only files that cannot be read directly from file system are kept in a cpio archive. All others are unpacked. Use only for isolinux, syslinux, or pxelinux. --pack-archive FILE Pack all gfxboot files into cpio archive FILE. Modifying help files --help-show FILE Print FILE (internal help file format) as HTML. --help-create FILE Convert HTML files passed as ARGS to FILE (internal format). --used-pages LINK1 LINK2 ... Mark pages as referenced. --navi FILE Use FILE as template for navigation links. --define ENTITY1=VALUE1 ENTITY2=VALUE2 ... Define ENTITYx with VALUEx. FILES
/boot/message bootloader graphics archive (actually a cpio achive) /etc/bootsplash/themes theme directory /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash default theme BUGS
None. AUTHOR
Written by Steffen Winterfeldt. SEE ALSO
If you want to create your own theme look at the gfxboot-devel package. gfxboot July 2008 GFXBOOT(8)