Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract a nth field from a comma delimited file Post 302591601 by machomaddy on Friday 20th of January 2012 04:09:50 AM
Old 01-20-2012
Scru's code works fine.
Can you please explain the code?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma Delimited file

I have a comma delimited file that sometimes has addresses details in. The problem is that the address detail can be seen as: "Sample House, Sample Road". When I run a script specifying the file is comma delimited I would like it to ignore comma's that are in between speech marks. Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comma delimited file

Hi All, I have output of sql saved in comma separated file. Now i need to read line by line this file and assign word to a unix variable for further processing Eg: Test file world, 1, 3, 4 earth,2,3,4,5 moon,1,2,3,4 Output should be word1= world word2=1 echo " first word... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nth Columns in a Tab delimited file

Hi Can anyone help me to identify the nth field from a Tab delimited file? Thanks Subrat (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flat File - Comma Delimited

I have a flat file whose contents are comma delimited and there are 84 columns in total, so everytime I try to view the contents, things get over lapped it becomes diffcult to read through the result set. Is there a command / what would be the best way...if I want to view the results alligned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read nth word from delimited text file?

Hi i am new in scripting how i can get 2 elements from first line of delimited txt file in shell scripts. AA~101010~0~AB~8000~ABC0~ BB~101011~0~BC~8000~ABC~ CC~101012~0~CD~8000~ABC0~ DD~101013~0~AB~8000~ABC~ AA~101014~0~BC~8000~ABC0~ CC~101015~0~CD~8000~ABC~ can anyone plse help?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert comma delimited files to semi colon delimited

Hi All, I need a unix script to convert .csv files to .skv files (changing a comma delimited file to a semi colon delimited file). I am a unix newbie and so don't know where to start. The script will be scheduled using cron and needs to convert each .csv file in a particular folder to a .skv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarpKing
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract field delimited by comma and store into an array?

hi, i have a variable which contains some file names separated by comma. example FNAME="abc.txt,def.txt,ghi.txt" i want to extract each filename and store it into an array and also count the number of files in the array. file=abc.txt file=def.txt file=ghi.txt i thought of using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i comma-delimited last field in line?

Awk gurus, Greatly appreciate for any kind of assistance from the expert community Input line: abc,11.22.33.44,xyz,7-8-9-10 pqr,111.222.333.444,wxy,1-2-3 def,22.33.44.55,stu,7-8 used the gsub function below but it changes all of the "-" delimiter: awk 'gsub("-",",")' Desired... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
SHANTY(1)							      Shanty								 SHANTY(1)

NAME
Shanty - Makes a PostScript file from an image and some text. SYNOPSIS
shanty -i image_file [-t text_file] [-o output_file] [-s paper_size] [-d density] [-m margin] [-b background_color] [-x padding] [-n title] [-l orientation] [-rtl] [-btt] [-f font_name] [-altgd] DESCRIPTION
Shanty takes a text file and an image (PNG or JPG) and creates a PostScript file where one pixel in the image becomes one character in the PostScript. OPTIONS
-i, -image Name of the image to load in. JPG and PNG images are supported. This is the only compulsory field. -t, -text Name of the text file to load in, if omitted STDIN is used. -o, -output Name of the PostScript file to produce, if omitted STDOUT is used. -s, -size Size of the paper to work with. This field should be one of: "a0", "a2", "a3", "a4", "a5", "a6", "letter", "broadsheet", "ledger", "tabloid", "legal", "executive" and "36x36". Default is "a4". -d, -density Density of the text. Higher numbers are more dense, default is 1.4. -m, -margin The margins of the page in cm. Default is 1. -b, -background The colour of a backing rectangle to place behind the text. Colours are specified as "R,G,B" with each value between 0 and 255. "off" means no backing colour. Default is "off". -x, -p, -padding Density of the text. Higher numbers are more dense, default is 1.4. -n, -title The title of the output to write as meta-data in the PostScript file. Default is "Shanty output". -l, -orientation The orientation of the paper, can be "portrait", "landscape" or "auto". Default is "auto". -rtl Switch to right-to-left text. -btt Switch to bottom-to-top text. -f, -font Specify font. The font name specified must be visible to the not just make a font magically appear. Default is "Courier-Bold". -altgd If you have problems loading the GD library, try this switch. HOMEPAGE
<http://www.codebunny.org/coding/shanty/> AUTHOR
Duncan Martin <duncan@codebunny.org> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Many thanks to DFB <http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~dfb/> and contributors to comp.lang.postscript. Duncan Martin 6 October 2006 SHANTY(1)