Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ftp - any best practices for signalling end of transfer? Post 302591544 by _dev_null on Thursday 19th of January 2012 09:53:44 PM
Old 01-19-2012
Question ftp - any best practices for signalling end of transfer?

Hi,

I'm writing shell scripts to handle incoming and outgoing automated sftp transfers between a local server and various remote servers belonging to different organizations.

I'm wondering if there are any recommended or "best practices" for signalling the end of a ftp file transmission (sending multiple files), such as sending an empty ".done" (e.g. "somefilename.done") or similar file, after all other files are sent. Or maybe sending one empty ".done" file per individual data file.

I've seen the ".done" approach here and elsewhere, and have one client who sends a ".eot" (end of transmission) file. I'm just wondering if there are any informal standards or practices for doing this.

The idea being that you don't want the party receiving files to start processing them until it's certain that all expected files have arrived and are complete.

Cheers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Transfer Success

Hi I'm using Shell script which will ftp (download) a file from a host. I need to check whether the file has been transfered completley or not. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Thanks Ben (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abrd600
1 Replies

2. Solaris

ftp transfer

Hi ....I'm trying to ftp 2 pkgs SUNWqlc & SUNWqlcx since they were accidentally deleted from my servers. For one reaseon or the other my server is not loading the cdrom, so I mounted the cdrom on a differernt server & ftp's to it. I tried to get this pkg using the bin & I get an error message... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Remi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Transfer error

Hi ! I created a similar script as shown below to automate an FTP transfer and encountered errors. Appreciate any advice to resolve this issue. The script: #!/usr/bin/ksh ftp 'IP ADD' << cmd user 'user' 'pass' lcd /home/data get 'FileA' FileB quit cmd Connected to 'IP_ADD'.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosec
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file transfer using Ftp

Hi All, I am very new to shell scripting,I have some doubts how we can do a file transfer using ftp I wanted to transfer files using non_secure ftp and secure ftp(sftp) mode, for secure ftp i am using following code verbose="verbose" ftp="/usr/bin/ftp" user="ABC" pass="123"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer through FTP

Hi Guys, I wanted to transfer files from FTP machine to Linux Machine. In this, I need to create a batch file that will connect to the Linux Machine and Transfer the files specified as the parameter to the files. Ex : transferfiles Product Time Geography Here transferfiles shld contain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP (File Transfer)

I am going to transfer file from UNIX directory to remote windows location and i wrote the script but i am getting the error as 'FTP: not found' or i am getting this error 'The file path is not found'. Please help me to resolve this problem as early as possible.(urgent). my script is, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp transfer in a for loop

Frdz, i have scenorio like i have to open ftp connection in a for loop and connect to the other server and upload the file again and again till the for loop ends but i am getting problem when i use the following code. for i in `ls ${SOURCE_DIR}/` do FOLDER_NAME=`basename $i` for j in `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with FTP Variable Transfer

Hey all, I'm trying to upload a file to my ftp server through an automated batch program. I will be uploading a file that's name changes according to you IP Address, so I am using the variable %ip% to represent the file's name. The problem occurs when it transfers over to the ftp portion of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piking
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] signalling

Hi guys, I am using slurm to send file to make calculation on a server at my university. The time limit for these calculation is 5 days but sometimes it is not enough. For this reason I need a clean up function that before the calculation ends copy the unfinished calculation file ( in order to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gbengasi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status ?

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status if any active ftp running in the background ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
2 Replies
TRANSMISSION-GTK(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 				       TRANSMISSION-GTK(1)

NAME
transmission-gtk -- a bittorrent client SYNOPSIS
transmission-gtk -? transmission-gtk [-pqm] [torrent-file ...] DESCRIPTION
transmission-gtk is a fast and easy BitTorrent client. BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file transfer protocol which uses a metainfo file (usually with the .torrent file extension) and a central tracker to distribute file data amongst a group of peers. For more information on the BitTorrent protocol see http://www.bittorrent.org/ OPTIONS
-? --help Show help options -p --paused Start with all torrents paused -m --minimized Start minimized in notification area -g, --config-dir directory Where to look for configuration files. This can be used to swap between using the cli, daemon, gtk, and qt clients. See http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/ConfigFiles for more information. Multiple .torrent files may be added at startup by appending them on the command line. If transmission-gtk is already running, the torrents will be added to the running instance. ENVIRONMENT
TRANSMISSION_HOME Sets the default config-dir. http_proxy libcurl uses this environment variable when performing tracker announces. If set, this overrides the GNOME proxy preferences. FILES
~/.config/transmission The config-dir used when neither [TRANSMISSION_HOME] nor [-g] is specified. AUTHORS
transmission-gtk was written by Jordan Lee, Josh Elsasser, Eric Petit, and Mitchell Livingston. SEE ALSO
transmission-create(1), transmission-daemon(1), transmission-edit(1), transmission-gtk(1), transmission-qt(1), transmission-remote(1), transmission-show(1) http://www.transmissionbt.com/ BSD
May 20, 2008 BSD