Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server Post 302591457 by steven12 on Thursday 19th of January 2012 01:53:17 PM
Old 01-19-2012
writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server

Hi,

I am very new to scripting and I wanted to write a unix shell script which can give me,

1)number of cpu's in a box

2)number of cores per cpu

3)total number of cores in abox (ie multiplying 1&2)

I am also trying to figure out how to check if hyper-threading is enabled in the server and also this check to script.

intially I am looking this to run on linux then wanted to implement it on other flavours of unix.

below is my script..
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -r /proc/cpuinfo ]; then
  echo "Is this Linux? Cannot find or read /proc/cpuinfo"
  exit 1
fi
echo num_cpus = `grep 'physical id' /proc/cpuinfo | sort -u | wc -l`
read num_cpu
echo num_cores_per_cpu=`grep 'core id' /proc/cpuinfo | sort -u | wc -l`
read num_cores_per_cpu
echo total_cores=`expr $num_cpus \\* num_cores_per_cpu` --this part is not working..

if [ $num_cores -eq 0 ]; then
# this box is either an old SMP or single-CPU box, so count the # of processors

echo num_cores=`grep '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo | sort -u | wc -l`

fi
#echo $num_cores_per_cpu

any help is much appreciated.

thanks,
Steve.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment How to use code tags when posting data and code samples.

Last edited by Franklin52; 01-19-2012 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help writing simple script

I'm trying to write a simple unix script that will delete files after 30 days of being created. I've never done this before but conceptually it sounds easy. Here is what I'm trying to do: Get System Date Get File Date If (sysdate-filedate>30days) rm file All of these files are contained... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamdoankc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing simple shell script

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to: 1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server. 2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallyanne
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total number of users logged in a server from uptime

how to find out total number of users logged in a server from uptime . i mean to say i need the total output of unix command . who gives the out put at a particular time . I need at all time from which machine who has connected , (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amiya.te@gmail
3 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Looking to reduce the number a cpus available for SGE

Hey all Im looking to reduce the number of cpus available on a certain node in our cluster available for jobs using SGE. i.e. we have one node that has 24 cpus available for jobs on SGE, i would like to reduce that to 16. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olifu02
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Control Cores/CPUs used in Linux instance on VMware

We have a production setup where we have RHEL instances on VMware. We have 2 RHEL instances on VMware now each having 4 CPUs/cores each. I want to put up another RHEL instance but my query is that can we allocate only 1 CPU/core for the new instance. I hope, my query is clear that can we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to calculate total number of cores on my servers ?

Hi, I want to get total number of cores on my all non-global zones on Solaris 10. I got two methods and both are giving different results. Below link is a script, which tells me that total cores are 8 Mandalika's scratchpad: Oracle Solaris: Show Me the CPU, vCPU, Core Counts and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Calculating number of CPUs in Solaris-8

Hello, I have few old V210/V240, running Solaris-8. I am trying to find, number of physical CPUs, number of cores and number of virtual processors. psrinfo is giving me confusing status. It looks like, there are 2 physical CPUs, but psrinfo -p shows me just 1 bash-2.03$ psrinfo -v Status of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
4 Replies
CORE(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   CORE(5)

NAME
core -- memory image file format SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> DESCRIPTION
A small number of signals which cause abnormal termination of a process also cause a record of the process's in-core state to be written to disk for later examination by one of the available debuggers. (See sigaction(2).) This memory image is written to a file named by default core.pid, where pid is the process ID of the process, in the /cores directory, provided the terminated process had write permission in the directory, and the directory existed. The maximum size of a core file is limited by setrlimit(2). Files which would be larger than the limit are not created. The core file consists of the Mach-O(5) header as described in the <mach-o/loader.h> file. The remainder of the core file consists of vari- ous sections described in the Mach-O(5) header. NOTE
Core dumps are disabled by default under Darwin/Mac OS X. To re-enable core dumps, a privileged user must do one of the following * Edit /etc/launchd.conf or $HOME/.launchd.conf and add a line specifying the limit limit core unlimited * A privileged user can also enable cores with launchctl limit core unlimited * A privileged user can also enable core files by using ulimit(1) or limit(1) depending upon the shell. SEE ALSO
gdb(1), setrlimit(2), sigaction(2), Mach-O(5), launchd.conf(5), launchd.plist(5), sysctl(8) HISTORY
A core file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 26, 2008 BSD