Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Compression (gzip) for image analysis Post 302591427 by Corona688 on Thursday 19th of January 2012 12:25:23 PM
Old 01-19-2012
gzip isn't suitable. gzip wouldn't know which bits mean what pixels. gzip might also find patterns you don't want, identical things in the wrong places of the image. It's also lossless, so an intensity difference of 1 matters just as much as an intensity difference of 255 as far as it's concerned. It really doesn't know what the picture looks like.

This paper can't have meant lossless compression, or any kind of general compression -- it must have meant some kind of lossy image compression like jpg which doesn't care if the pixels are bit-for-bit identical.

I don't think 'cat' is an appropriate way to combine the images, either.

I think what they're looking for is the resulting size of the image when saved with identical levels of lossy compression. S(I1) and S(I2) should be very similar. What S(I3) is would depend. How does the paper say to combine these images?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move with compression

How can I move a file and compress it at the same time? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create an Ignite image on tape from Online IgniteUX image

Hi, (HP-UX 11.11) I need to create a tape image of an igniteUX image created on our igniteUX server. That is to say. I have a "Online" image of the igniteUX of the targeted system but I now need to copy it to a useable TAPE (igniteUX) image so i can build an other server from it that is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
3 Replies

3. AIX

Tape compression

Hello everyone I want to use compression in my tape when I backup some file. For example I have several files that use 50gb. If I backup this I need to use two cartridge because without compression I can backup 36gb. My question is with flag I need to use to compress and I can use 72gb in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding gzip compression to a connection using nc

Hello everyone, As the title suggests, I am attempting to test adding gzip compression to a connection to an application I am testing. Currently I have the application set up with httptunnel, which forwards the connection to the remote host. I would like to use a script to intercept the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching image files to create one image

Hi, I have two sets of image files. Both sets have names A to Z but set 1 ends with .cdt.png and set 2 ends with .matrix.png. I want set 1 to match with set 2 if the names match (i.e. A.cdt.png will match with A.matrix.png) and with the convert image tool (program for images), it will merge the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show Percentage Compression in GZIP

Hi, I used gzip command to compress a huge tar file. But I saw that compression % was more than 100%. It might have inflated instead , probably because tar file is already packed properly. So I thought of unzippping it. Now after unzip I expected the tar file to be of less size than... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay4889
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar gzip compression rate

How good is the compression rate of gzip when you use tar with the gzip option? I am pretty amazed that a 1 GB file was reduced to 1019K. This is what I did. tar -cvf tar_test.tar.gz -T /list_of_files ls -hl -rw-r-----. 1 owner group 19 Jul 23 16:00 list_of_files -rw-r-----. 1 owner group... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
IMAGEPNG(3)								 1							       IMAGEPNG(3)

imagepng - Output a PNG image to either the browser or a file

SYNOPSIS
bool imagepng (resource $image, [string $filename], [int $quality], [int $filters]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs or saves a PNG image from the given $image. PARAMETERS
o $ image -An image resource, returned by one of the image creation functions, such as imagecreatetruecolor(3). o $filename -The path to save the file to. If not set or NULL, the raw image stream will be outputted directly. Note NULL is invalid if the $quality and $filters arguments are not used. o $quality - Compression level: from 0 (no compression) to 9. o $filters - Allows reducing the PNG file size. It is a bitmask field which may be set to any combination of the PNG_FILTER_XXX constants. PNG_NO_FILTER or PNG_ALL_FILTERS may also be used to respectively disable or activate all filters. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ | 5.1.3 | | | | | | | Added the $filters parameter. | | | | | 5.1.2 | | | | | | | Added the $quality parameter. | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
<?php $im = imagecreatefrompng("test.png"); header('Content-Type: image/png'); imagepng($im); imagedestroy($im); ?> SEE ALSO
imagegif(3), imagewbmp(3), imagejpeg(3), imagetypes(3), imagesavealpha(3). PHP Documentation Group IMAGEPNG(3)