Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl : replace multiline text between two marker points Post 302591408 by rethink on Thursday 19th of January 2012 11:31:03 AM
Old 01-19-2012
perl : replace multiline text between two marker points

Hi there

I just wondered if someone could give me some perl advice

I have a bunch of text files used for a wiki that have common headings such as

Code:

---++ Title
blah

---++ Summary
blah

---++ Details
Here is the multiline
block 
of text I 
wish 
to 
replace that will
be different
in 
every file

---++ More info 
blah

So basically, All of the text between the "---++ Details" marker and the "---++ More info" marker I want to strip out and replace with a static multiline piece of text which i will put in a variable ...

Does anyone know of a quick and dirty way within perl of doing this, so far in my code i am passing the filename to the script for opening, I have create a 'here doc' style variable to contain my desired mutiline block of text and that is where my mind has gone blank ...

I guess i need a way of detecting the "---++ Details" line, deleteing everything after it up to and not including the "---++ More info" line and then putting the contents of $newtext into that space ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace string between 2 points

I have a file that contains the following string. connect odemgr/bank123@odsd I am liiking to write a scrupt that will change the par of the string between the "/" and the "@" anyhelp qwould be greatly appriciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline replace problem

I have a data of the form 0.0117843924 0. 0. 0. 0. 0.011036017 0. 0. 0. 0. 0.0103351669 0. 0. 0. 0. 4839.41211 0. 0. 0. 0. 4532.08203 0. 0. 0. 0. I would like to insert a couple of blank lines before the 4839 line, every time it appears. The numbers in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command to replace multiline text from httpd.conf file on Fedora

Hi, I am a newbie to shell scripting and to Linux environment as well. In my project I am trying to search for following text from the httpd.conf file <Directory '/somedir/someinnerdir'> AllowOverride All </Directory> and then remove this text and again rewrite the same text. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhushan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace a string within 2 points and save it

I've got this xml file <file1> some text here </file1> <file2> some text here </file2> How do I change the text in element file1 to a sentence that I want, defined by variable $sentence. using ksh here. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Vi - replace words with points (.)

Hello guys, I'm trying to replace the word "i.e." for "ie." in Vi but everytime I used the search tool for start looking for it (this is: /i.e.), it finds every word that contains the "i" and "e" word. I tried the following command: :%s/i.e./ie./g However, it doesn't work. Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace/Remove not specific text in perl

Hello, Consider that i have many files that have the below format: file1 900 7777 1000 5 6 23 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 1100 kkkkkkk file2 900 1989 1000 5 3 10 kkkdfdfdffd 1100 kkkkkkk What i would like to do is on every file to search the line that starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl one liner to replace text

Not quite a unix question but problem in a perl command. Taking a chance if someone knows about the error cat 1 a b c d perl -p -e 's/a/b/g' 1 b b c d What is the problem here?? perl -p -i -e 's/a/b/g' 1 Can't remove 1: Text file busy, skipping file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace word with multiline text using shell scripting.

Hi all I have data files which contain data as shown below: Line 5: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan INST_NME: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan Line 6: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the USA => MAID DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX multiline replace

Hi We have a database export file which needs to be formatted as below InputCreate view ABC1 as Locking ABC1 for Access select * from PQR Create view ABC2 as Locking ABC2 for access select * from PQR Create view ABC3 as Locking ABC3 for Access select * from PQR OutputCreate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetal.arun
5 Replies
IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream" - stream-based protocols using lines of text SYNOPSIS
Most likely this class will be subclassed to implement a particular network protocol. package Net::Async::HelloWorld; use strict; use warnings; use base qw( IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream ); sub on_read_line { my $self = shift; my ( $line ) = @_; if( $line =~ m/^HELLO (.*)/ ) { my $name = $1; $self->invoke_event( on_hello => $name ); } } sub send_hello { my $self = shift; my ( $name ) = @_; $self->write_line( "HELLO $name" ); } This small example elides such details as error handling, which a real protocol implementation would be likely to contain. DESCRIPTION
EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_line $line Invoked when a new complete line of input is received. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": on_read_line => CODE CODE reference for the "on_read_line" event. METHODS
$lineprotocol->write_line( $text ) Writes a line of text to the transport stream. The text will have the end-of-line marker appended to it; $text should not end with it. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)