Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl : replace multiline text between two marker points Post 302591408 by rethink on Thursday 19th of January 2012 11:31:03 AM
Old 01-19-2012
perl : replace multiline text between two marker points

Hi there

I just wondered if someone could give me some perl advice

I have a bunch of text files used for a wiki that have common headings such as

Code:

---++ Title
blah

---++ Summary
blah

---++ Details
Here is the multiline
block 
of text I 
wish 
to 
replace that will
be different
in 
every file

---++ More info 
blah

So basically, All of the text between the "---++ Details" marker and the "---++ More info" marker I want to strip out and replace with a static multiline piece of text which i will put in a variable ...

Does anyone know of a quick and dirty way within perl of doing this, so far in my code i am passing the filename to the script for opening, I have create a 'here doc' style variable to contain my desired mutiline block of text and that is where my mind has gone blank ...

I guess i need a way of detecting the "---++ Details" line, deleteing everything after it up to and not including the "---++ More info" line and then putting the contents of $newtext into that space ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace string between 2 points

I have a file that contains the following string. connect odemgr/bank123@odsd I am liiking to write a scrupt that will change the par of the string between the "/" and the "@" anyhelp qwould be greatly appriciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline replace problem

I have a data of the form 0.0117843924 0. 0. 0. 0. 0.011036017 0. 0. 0. 0. 0.0103351669 0. 0. 0. 0. 4839.41211 0. 0. 0. 0. 4532.08203 0. 0. 0. 0. I would like to insert a couple of blank lines before the 4839 line, every time it appears. The numbers in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command to replace multiline text from httpd.conf file on Fedora

Hi, I am a newbie to shell scripting and to Linux environment as well. In my project I am trying to search for following text from the httpd.conf file <Directory '/somedir/someinnerdir'> AllowOverride All </Directory> and then remove this text and again rewrite the same text. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhushan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace a string within 2 points and save it

I've got this xml file <file1> some text here </file1> <file2> some text here </file2> How do I change the text in element file1 to a sentence that I want, defined by variable $sentence. using ksh here. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Vi - replace words with points (.)

Hello guys, I'm trying to replace the word "i.e." for "ie." in Vi but everytime I used the search tool for start looking for it (this is: /i.e.), it finds every word that contains the "i" and "e" word. I tried the following command: :%s/i.e./ie./g However, it doesn't work. Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace/Remove not specific text in perl

Hello, Consider that i have many files that have the below format: file1 900 7777 1000 5 6 23 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 1100 kkkkkkk file2 900 1989 1000 5 3 10 kkkdfdfdffd 1100 kkkkkkk What i would like to do is on every file to search the line that starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl one liner to replace text

Not quite a unix question but problem in a perl command. Taking a chance if someone knows about the error cat 1 a b c d perl -p -e 's/a/b/g' 1 b b c d What is the problem here?? perl -p -i -e 's/a/b/g' 1 Can't remove 1: Text file busy, skipping file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace word with multiline text using shell scripting.

Hi all I have data files which contain data as shown below: Line 5: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan INST_NME: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan Line 6: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the USA => MAID DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX multiline replace

Hi We have a database export file which needs to be formatted as below InputCreate view ABC1 as Locking ABC1 for Access select * from PQR Create view ABC2 as Locking ABC2 for access select * from PQR Create view ABC3 as Locking ABC3 for Access select * from PQR OutputCreate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetal.arun
5 Replies
Bio::PopGen::MarkerI(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Bio::PopGen::MarkerI(3pm)

NAME
Bio::PopGen::MarkerI - A Population Genetic conceptual marker SYNOPSIS
# Get a Bio::PopGen::MarkerI somehow - like using a Bio::PopGen::Marker my $name = $marker->name(); # marker name my $description = $marker->description(); # description my $type = $marker->type(); # coded type of the marker my $unique_id = $marker->unique_id; # optional unique ID my @alleles = $marker->get_Alleles(); # the known alleles my %allele_freqs = $marker->get_Allele_Frequencies(); # keys are marker names # vals are frequencies # may change to handle multiple populations DESCRIPTION
This is the basic interface for Markers which one can associate alleles with for calculating Theta and Pi. FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to the Bioperl mailing list. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track of the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via email or the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Jason Stajich Email jason-at-bioperl.org CONTRIBUTORS
Matthew Hahn, matthew.hahn-at-duke.edu APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ name Title : name Usage : my $name = $marker->name(); Function: Get the name of the marker Returns : string representing the name of the marker Args : description Title : description Usage : my $desc = $marker->description Function: Get the marker description free text Returns : string Args : [optional] string type Title : type Usage : my $type = $marker->type; Function: Get coded string for marker type Returns : string Args : [optional] string unique_id Title : unique_id Usage : my $id = $marker->unique_id; Function: Get the unique marker ID Returns : unique ID string Args : [optional ] string annotation Title : annotation Usage : $obj->annotation($seq_obj) Function: retrieve the attached annotation object Returns : Bio::AnnotationCollectionI or none; See Bio::AnnotationCollectionI and Bio::Annotation::Collection for more information. This method comes through extension from Bio::AnnotatableI. get_Alleles Title : get_Alleles Usage : my @alleles = $marker->get_Alleles(); Function: Get the available marker alleles if they are known and stored Returns : Array of strings Args : none get_Allele_Frequencies Title : get_Allele_Frequencies Usage : my %allele_freqs = $marker->get_Allele_Frequencies; Function: Get the alleles and their frequency (set relative to a given population - you may want to create different markers with the same name for different populations with this current implementation Returns : Associative array (hash) where keys are the names of the alleles Args : none perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::PopGen::MarkerI(3pm)