Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl : replace multiline text between two marker points Post 302591408 by rethink on Thursday 19th of January 2012 11:31:03 AM
Old 01-19-2012
perl : replace multiline text between two marker points

Hi there

I just wondered if someone could give me some perl advice

I have a bunch of text files used for a wiki that have common headings such as

Code:

---++ Title
blah

---++ Summary
blah

---++ Details
Here is the multiline
block 
of text I 
wish 
to 
replace that will
be different
in 
every file

---++ More info 
blah

So basically, All of the text between the "---++ Details" marker and the "---++ More info" marker I want to strip out and replace with a static multiline piece of text which i will put in a variable ...

Does anyone know of a quick and dirty way within perl of doing this, so far in my code i am passing the filename to the script for opening, I have create a 'here doc' style variable to contain my desired mutiline block of text and that is where my mind has gone blank ...

I guess i need a way of detecting the "---++ Details" line, deleteing everything after it up to and not including the "---++ More info" line and then putting the contents of $newtext into that space ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace string between 2 points

I have a file that contains the following string. connect odemgr/bank123@odsd I am liiking to write a scrupt that will change the par of the string between the "/" and the "@" anyhelp qwould be greatly appriciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline replace problem

I have a data of the form 0.0117843924 0. 0. 0. 0. 0.011036017 0. 0. 0. 0. 0.0103351669 0. 0. 0. 0. 4839.41211 0. 0. 0. 0. 4532.08203 0. 0. 0. 0. I would like to insert a couple of blank lines before the 4839 line, every time it appears. The numbers in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command to replace multiline text from httpd.conf file on Fedora

Hi, I am a newbie to shell scripting and to Linux environment as well. In my project I am trying to search for following text from the httpd.conf file <Directory '/somedir/someinnerdir'> AllowOverride All </Directory> and then remove this text and again rewrite the same text. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhushan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace a string within 2 points and save it

I've got this xml file <file1> some text here </file1> <file2> some text here </file2> How do I change the text in element file1 to a sentence that I want, defined by variable $sentence. using ksh here. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Vi - replace words with points (.)

Hello guys, I'm trying to replace the word "i.e." for "ie." in Vi but everytime I used the search tool for start looking for it (this is: /i.e.), it finds every word that contains the "i" and "e" word. I tried the following command: :%s/i.e./ie./g However, it doesn't work. Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace/Remove not specific text in perl

Hello, Consider that i have many files that have the below format: file1 900 7777 1000 5 6 23 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 1100 kkkkkkk file2 900 1989 1000 5 3 10 kkkdfdfdffd 1100 kkkkkkk What i would like to do is on every file to search the line that starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl one liner to replace text

Not quite a unix question but problem in a perl command. Taking a chance if someone knows about the error cat 1 a b c d perl -p -e 's/a/b/g' 1 b b c d What is the problem here?? perl -p -i -e 's/a/b/g' 1 Can't remove 1: Text file busy, skipping file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace word with multiline text using shell scripting.

Hi all I have data files which contain data as shown below: Line 5: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan INST_NME: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan Line 6: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the USA => MAID DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX multiline replace

Hi We have a database export file which needs to be formatted as below InputCreate view ABC1 as Locking ABC1 for Access select * from PQR Create view ABC2 as Locking ABC2 for access select * from PQR Create view ABC3 as Locking ABC3 for Access select * from PQR OutputCreate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetal.arun
5 Replies
pdbtxt2html(1)						      General Commands Manual						    pdbtxt2html(1)

NAME
pdbtxt2html - Doc Text to HTML converter for Palm Pilots SYNOPSIS
pdbtxt2html [ -t ] file.txt [ file.html ] pdbtxt2html -v DESCRIPTION
pdbtxt2html converts text converted from a Doc(4) file via txt2pdbdoc(1) to HTML. If no HTML filename is given, the generated HTML is sent to standard output. Document Title The first line of the file is used for the HTML document title. Bookmarks The last line of the file is examined and, if it contains a string enclosed between < and >, that is taken to be the bookmark marker. The entire file is then scanned looking for lines beginning with it (ignoring leading whitespace). These lines are converted to HTML headings. The number of whitespace characters after the first bookmark marker is used for heading level 1. The level of subsequent headings is set to the number of whitespace characters between the bookmark marker and the bookmark text minus the number for the first bookmark plus one. Embedded URLs Valid URLs (according to RFC 1630) embedded in the text are turned into hyperlinks. The ftp, gopher, http, https, mailto, news, telnet, and wais URLs are recognized. OPTIONS
-t Compile a table of contents and insert it between the first heading and the body. -v Print the version number to standard output and exit. EXAMPLE
To convert a Doc file to HTML: txt2pdbdoc alice.pdb alice.txt pdbtxt2html alice.txt alice.html SEE ALSO
html2pdbtxt(1), txt2pdbdoc(1), doc(4), pdb(4) Tim Berners Lee. Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW, Network Working Group of the Internet Engineering Task Force, June 1994. http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1630.txt AUTHOR
Paul J. Lucas <pauljlucas@mac.com> txt2pdbdoc January 21, 2005 pdbtxt2html(1)