Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating a blank string of a specified size Post 302591380 by yazu on Thursday 19th of January 2012 10:40:19 AM
Old 01-19-2012
Code:
perl -e 'print " "x'$N

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating data of size

Hello, I need to create 100kb,1000kb,10000kb etc files of no particular substance but I need them a exact size. I think they are .dat's I need but im unsure of the command I issue to create them Any help appreciated :) Mr Pink (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
4 Replies

2. Solaris

How to correctly allocate size while creating FileSystem

Hello - I am finding difficulty in creating and allocating correct size to File Systems on solarix x86 box. Please see below contents I followed on screen and in the end It shows that /app file system is created of size 135GB , I wanted it to be 30gb as mentioned during 'format' command in 'Enter... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string with blank spaces

I have a file that has dates like this: date FINAL_RESULT; 7 date FINAL_RESULT; 2 date FINAL_RESULT; 5 With this command: seira=`cut -f2 -d\; tes.txt` i take the date FINAL RESULTs and i store them on variable seira.then seira look like this: 6 3 8 I want to read seira and make a sum of all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psalas
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating filesystem of 2MB size

Hi all, I would like to ask on how to create 2MB partition on a Compact Flash card. It supposed to be of FAT12 type, and the CF capacity is 4GB. I try to do the partitioning and specify the size as 2MB but the partition editor automatically resize it to 8MB. I know that this is possible and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: archayl
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating large number of files of specific size

Hi I am new to shell scripting.I want to create a batch file which creates a desired number of files with a specific size say 1MB each to consume space.How can i go about it using for loop /any other loop condition using shell script? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swatideswal
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating/using libraries Perl...blank outout?

Good morning!! Im trying to create a script that should get a list of numbers from the user (using STDIN or a list of arguments), and call my library function. #!use/bin/perl require 'my-lib.pl'; @userArray = <STDIN>; while() { chomp; last if ! /\d/; push(@userArray,&_); }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating directory with specific size?

Hello world, I just learnt we can create a directory with custom size in a Linux server (say Redhat). Is it true? I'm asking because the only data (I can think of) a directory's inode holds is the files and 'sub-dir's. How can a new empty directory be of some required size? :wall: PS : In... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

test for a blank string

Hi guys I am performing a simple test for a blank string with the following code: if ] ]] ; then echo "Blanks are NOT a valid input " return 1 fi The above fails giving a syntax error message: syntax error at line 142 : `=~' unexpected I am in ksh88 is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a string instead of blank lines

how can i insert a string sush as "###" instead of blank lines in a file? i try this code but it doesn't work! awk 'NF<1 {$1=="###" ; print$0}' in_file > out_file (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oreka18
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bc in shell script is creating blank files

Hi, I am creating a shell script which will check the processing of the main script if the error count is more than 2% of the record count in a feed. Part of the code is below: err_tol=`echo $feed_cnt \* 0.02 |bc` while read line do err_cnt=$(grep -i "$line" $err_log | wc -l) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)