Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep hogs entire cpu
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications grep hogs entire cpu Post 302591087 by methyl on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 12:58:22 PM
Old 01-18-2012
The "grep" is searching everything under /etc (including pipes or whatever). The scope of the search needs fixing such that "grep" only searches ascii text files.
Whether 100% cpu means a lot depends on how many cpus you have fitted. To achieve 100% cpu on a single cpu and run a program to report the value is pretty unlikely.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep Vs CPU usage

Hi, I have one basic doubt, that using grep command frequently , will it have direct impact on the CPU load, pls clarify for eg, if i run a non stop script containing while loop to grep some parameters, what will be the load in CPU.. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep entire statement not just line

(extract from SQL binlog file...) # at 4960 #080801 14:35:31 server id 4 end_log_pos 195 Query thread_id=63121426 exec_time=0 error_code=0 use d_jds; SET TIMESTAMP=1217581531; UPDATE bid_details set bidding = 3170.37 ,deduction=if((3170.37 < 37.43),0,deduction) where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

3. Linux

grep -f CPU performances

Hi I would like to thank you all for this excellent forum. Today i tried to compare two files and i get some problem with it. I have two files and i want to get all the data that match the first file like this File1 (pattern file) ___________________________ 9007 9126 9918 9127 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk+Grep Input file needs to match a column and print the entire line

I'm having problems since few days ago, and i'm not able to make it works with a simple awk+grep script (or other way to do this). For example, i have a input file1.txt: cat inputfile1.txt 218299910417 1172051195 1172070231 1172073514 1183135117 1183135118 1183135119 1281440202 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poliver
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question: stop search from finding entire line

Sorry for the title, I really don't know how to word this question or what to even search for. I tried "grep one match", "grep 1 match", "stop grep" on both google and here and haven't found something that helps, so here I go: I have a file that's about 1.5 million lines long, every line looks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmoakler
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for a pattern and print entire record

Hi friends, This is my very first post on forum, so kindly excuse if my doubts are found too silly. I am trying to automate a piece of routine work and this is where I am stuck at the moment-I need to grep a particular ID through a file containing many records(which start with <LRECORD> and end... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: faiz1985
6 Replies

7. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to find entire line ....

As per my understanding below mentioned line of code finding a word 'boy' in $ACULOG... num_errors=`grep -i -e fail -e illegal -e exception -e "<E" -e boy $ACULOG | wc -l` if I'm not corerct, please correct me. How I can find entire line like "This is a boy" with something similar as above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heyitsmeok
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep for entire line from a log folder

As per my understanding below mentioned line of code finding a word 'boy' in $ACULOG... num_errors=`grep -i -e fail -e illegal -e exception -e "<E" -e boy $ACULOG | wc -l` if I'm not corerct, please correct me. How I can find entire line like "This is a boy" with something similar as above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heyitsmeok
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional grep command to search entire file

Let me give you a complete example what I am trying to achieve. 1. Below is the log file structure where I need 2,5 and 14th column of the logs after grepping through the linkId=1ddoic. Log file structure:- abc.com 20120829001415 127.0.0.1 app none11111 sas 0 0 N clk Mozilla/5.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
3 Replies
CGGET(1)							 libcgroup Manual							  CGGET(1)

NAME
cgget - print parameter(s) of given group(s) SYNOPSIS
cgget [-n] [-v] [-r <name>] [-g <controller>] [-a] <path> ... cgget [-n] [-v] [-r <name>] -g <controller>:<path> ... DESCRIPTION
Prints the parameter(s) of input cgroup(s). If neither controller nor variable are specified, the values of all possible variables are displayed. <path> is the name of the cgroup which should be read. This parameter can be used multiple times. -a, --all print the variables for all controllers which consist in the given cgroup -g <controller> defines controllers whose values should be displayed. This option can be used multiple times. -g <controller>:<path> defines control groups whose values should be displayed. This option can be used multiple times. -h, --help display help and exit -n do not print headers, i.e. names of groups. -r, --variable <name> defines parameter to display. This option can be used multiple times. -v, --values-only print only values, not parameter names. EXAMPLES
$ cgget -r cpuset.cpus -r cpuset.mems first second first: cpuset.cpus=0-1 cpuset.mems=0 second: cpuset.cpus=0 cpuset.mems=0 $ cgget -n -r cpuset.cpus -r cpuset.mems first second cpuset.cpus=0-1 cpuset.mems=0 cpuset.cpus=0 cpuset.mems=0 $ cgget -nv -r cpuset.cpus -r cpuset.mems first second 0-1 0 0 0 $ cgget -n -g cpu / cpu.rt_period_us=1000000 cpu.rt_runtime_us=950000 cpu.shares=1024 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
CGROUP_LOGLEVEL controls verbosity of the tool. Allowed values are DEBUG, INFO, WARNING or ERROR. SEE ALSO
cgrules.conf (1), cgcreate (1), cgget (1) Linux 2010-01-18 CGGET(1)