Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loading a tar file into the shell script Post 302591027 by methyl on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 09:31:23 AM
Old 01-18-2012
Quote:
Is there any other way to load a small binary file(like tar file) contents into the variable of the shell script so that the new variable contents can be directed to a new-file and that new-file acts as previous binary file

No.
A Shell Environment variable is not suitable for holding raw binary data. Stick with files.
There is no issue with holding the name of the file in an environment variable rather than the contents of the file.

I suppose you could use "uuencode" to shift the binary data into ascii characters and then read it back with "uudecode". Not tried this because it is pointless.

What are you actually trying to do?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using tar inside a shell script

Hi, I am using tar cvf inside a shell script to archive files. Is there an option to surpress any prompts which come up if the desired archive name already exists ? Thanks in Advance. Kas. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kas7225
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Data loading in Oracle

Hi All I am new to unix. I need a shell script to load a datafile in to oracle. I already have a control file, and data file. all I need is if i execute the shell it must load the data using the ctl file to table. Control file : PAY0001.ctl Datafile : mon_grs_det.dat log file :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghuraja_r
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi.. how to attach a tar file using shell script

Hi, How to attach a tar file using shell script or the command liine.. I following command just send the mail to the person with .txt file as body, I want to send it as attachment. /usr/sbin/sendmail -f "user1@daemon.com" user2@daemon.com <hi.txt The contents of the hi.txt will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhumathikv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to selectively tar directory based on date

hye everybody :) , i'm new to the scripting world.. hope you guys can help me out with this one.. i'm trying to identify any directory under /tmp/saya that is created more than one day from the current date.. e.g, today is March 14, so any directory that has time stamp March 13 backwards, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function loading in a shell scripting like class loading in java

Like class loader in java, can we make a function loader in shell script, for this can someone throw some light on how internally bash runs a shell script , what happenes in runtime ... thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpsc_sela
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script for loading a data from a file into database

Hi All, I am trying to load a data from a files in a particular directory to a database.. cd $SCC isql metdb >> ${LOGDATA}/LOAD.LOG < ! load from "${LDATA}/${FORM}.ld" insert into $LOADTABLE ! But it's showing the error "syntax error at line 46 : `<<' unmatched" Can u plz help me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajesh_955
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

background image not loading in newly thrown html page by shell script

I m trying to throw back html page when a file is found.While throwing back html page, the background image is not coming. I am using Apache server.Please suggest how to resolve... #!/bin/ksh echo -e "Content-type: text/html\n\n" echo "<html><head></head><body background=\"/asc/ppp.jpg\">"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi18s
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a tar command with the --exclude option in a Debian shell script.

Hi All, I am trying to execute the following tar command with two --exclude options to suppress extract of the two directories specified. Do I need to single quote the directory paths ?? Many thanks for your help. The relevant code excerpt from the script is: cd /var/www/${SITE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make Shell script of using tar command?

Hi Guys, I have to make shell script means tar all files from path /home/admin and move to path /dis/wis/ Please help me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
5 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode, b64encode, b64decode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [-o output_file] [file] name uudecode [-cimprs] [file ...] uudecode [-i] -o output_file b64encode [-o output_file] [file] name b64decode [-cimprs] [file ...] b64decode [-i] -o output_file [file] DESCRIPTION
The uuencode and uudecode utilities are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The b64encode utility is synonymous with uuencode with the -m flag specified. The b64decode utility is synonymous with uudecode with the -m flag specified. The uuencode utility reads file (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output, or output_file if one has been specified. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand name for use by uudecode. The uudecode utility transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named either name or (depending on options passed to uudecode) output_file and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and exe- cute bits are not retained. The uudecode utility ignores any leading and trailing lines. The following options are available for uuencode: -m Use the Base64 method of encoding, rather than the traditional uuencode algorithm. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of standard output. The following options are available for uudecode: -c Decode more than one uuencoded file from file if possible. -i Do not overwrite files. -m When used with the -r flag, decode Base64 input instead of traditional uuencode input. Without -r it has no effect. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of any pathname contained in the input data. -p Decode file and write output to standard output. -r Decode raw (or broken) input, which is missing the initial and possibly the final framing lines. The input is assumed to be in the traditional uuencode encoding, but if the -m flag is used, or if the utility is invoked as b64decode, then the input is assumed to be in Base64 format. -s Do not strip output pathname to base filename. By default uudecode deletes any prefix ending with the last slash '/' for security reasons. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. When uudecode is run on the target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which may then be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree. tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail user@example.com The following example unpacks all uuencoded files from your mailbox into your current working directory. uudecode -c < $MAIL The following example extracts a compressed tar archive from your mailbox uudecode -o /dev/stdout < $MAIL | zcat | tar xfv - SEE ALSO
basename(1), compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1) (ports/net/freebsd-uucp), uuencode(5) HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
Files encoded using the traditional algorithm are expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). BSD
January 27, 2002 BSD