Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trying to use logical or and i must be missing something Post 302591007 by crimso on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 08:14:03 AM
Old 01-18-2012
thanx corona688, after your explanation i played around with it a bit and i get it now. it's pretty clear i was going a bit "too far" and over thinking it. i'll stick with my solution above but will keep your tutorial in mind for future reference!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

logical if condition

hi i have the following scenario #!/bin/sh a=21.0 b=33.0 c=16.0 cmd=20 cmd1=30 if && ] then echo "problem....." exit 1 else echo "ok" exit 0 fi the issue here is the above condition is never TRUE coz a>cmd && b >cmd1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nano2
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logical OR using sed

Hello, This must be a novice question to you folks. But I searched through various places and did not find an answer to this question: How do we perform a logical OR operation using sed command? For example, I want to write a command that extracts all the text between pattern1 and pattern2 OR... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thejasviv
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do logical AND and logical OR with grep

Hi can someone please help me on this. I need to perform this code: Grep any lines that meets the following criteria (A AND B) OR (A AND C) I tried this code, but it didn't work Grep-I "A &&B" | "A&&C" *.* $ thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Needhelp2
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem using logical or

Hi, I have a script testor.s which takes a string as command line argument, Contents of the script: #!/bin/ksh -x if ] then echo "error" else echo "correct" fi Here, though i provide the command line argument as "WO_STMT_05292009", it displays error Is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheema
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

op of logical operator

Why the op of the following code is like this ???? i=4 j=-1 k=0 echo $? echo $? echo $? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lipun4u
5 Replies

6. AIX

Logical Partitions?

I'm trying to find out how many logical partitions our AIX box has. I'm running the command: topas -C and nothing is showing up. Is it safe to say that there is only one LPAR, which is what AIX is installed on? Move to AIX - jim mc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

7. SuSE

How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello, This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming. I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

Name
       expr - evaluate expressions

Syntax
       expr arg...

Description
       The arguments are taken as an expression.  After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output.  Each token of the expression is
       a separate argument.

The operators and keywords are listed below.  The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped.

expr | expr	   Yields the first expr if it is neither null nor 0.  Otherwise yields the second expr.

expr & expr	   Yields the first expr if neither expr is null or 0.	Otherwise yields 0.

expr relop expr	   The relop is one of < <= = != >= > and yields 1 if the indicated comparison is true, '0' if false.  The  comparison	is
			   numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic.

expr + expr
	    expr - expr
			   Yields addition or subtraction of the arguments.

expr * expr
	    expr / expr
	    expr % expr
			   Yields multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments.

expr : expr	   The	matching  operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expres-
			   sion syntax is the same as that of The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the  first  argument.
			   Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched ('0' on failure).

( expr ) 	   parentheses for grouping.

Examples
       The first example adds 1 to the Shell variable a:
       a=`expr $a + 1`
       The second example finds the file name part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a,
       expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a
       Note the quoted Shell metacharacters.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the following exit codes:

0    The expression is neither null nor '0'.

1    The expression is null or '0'.

2    The expression is invalid.

See Also
       ed(1), sh(1), test(1)

expr(1)