Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disallow change directory
Operating Systems AIX disallow change directory Post 302590933 by kwliew999 on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 04:39:05 AM
Old 01-18-2012
disallow change directory

Dear all expects,
I have a security problem that I would like to resolve.
I need to create a user ID in my AIX 5.3 environment and to point the login to a specific directory for FTP purposes. There is only 2 directories that I can allow the user ID to perform read/write. I would like to prevent the user ID to go other places for read / writing..

User ID : TestFTP
Home Directory : /home/TestFTP
/home/TestFTP/.profile : cd /data06/ABC01

Thus, it ends up sign in to /data06/ABC01.
It should be allowed to read/write on /data06/ABC01 and /data06/ABC01/ABC01_BAK.

Other than that, it cannot cd .. to go back to /data06 or it cannot cd to any other directories.

May I know how to create such as ID?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory

Hi all, I'm trying to wirte a small shell script in Linux. My script has the flow like, cmd1 cmd2 cd testdata cmd3 After exiting the program, the CWD remains the same as where I execute the program. I need it to be changed to the latest updated directory in the program. How can I do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadivel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory command (cd)

I want to limit the directories that a user can access. When this users logs in, I do not want them to cd to any directory but those in their $HOME. In other words: login: pwd: /home/user cd / -- user tries to cd to root directory. pwd /home/user -- user is still in home... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oscarr
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory

hi, Iam in directory A. I run a script from there. inside the script i have a command cd B. When i come out of the script directory is A only. Even when i come out scrip i want the directory to be B How to achieve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Directory

I have a directory that is existing under my root dir of the FTP server. The DIR name is 'Software Patch'. I want to move in to that DIR to download some patches. But, when I issued a command 'cd SOftware Patch', the system said that it cannot find the dir 'Software'. I tried all possible ways like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disallow new ssh connections for a while ?

Hello, What is the best way to disallow new ssh connections for the duration of my session ? I want to evade read/write collisions. Things work like that - one session put files on server, other copies these files and then deletes them. So in order to evade collision: - I check if there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory if available

I have a simple shell script that prompts the user to enter a directory to navigate to. What i want it to do and i don't know how to do this is if the directory is invalid automatically navigate to the home directory. echo "enter a directory to navigate to:" read directory cd $directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change database directory to another directory?

Hi, I Installed mysql on my CentOS 6.2 Server. But when I tried to change the location of /var/lib/mysql to another directory. I can't start the mysql. Below is what I've done yum install mysql mysql-server mysql-devel mkdir /path/to/new/ cp -R /var/lib/mysql /path/to/new chown -R... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Directory

Hi All, There is a code like below in my script ############################################### ###Create Directories and Sub-Directories ############################################### dpdir=DP_FROM_${from}_TO_${to} mkdir $dpdir cd $dpdir mkdir AWQM WFCONTROLLER PROVCO PRISM ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory shell

#!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter number of sanger patients : "; read id perl -ne 'chomp; system ("perl table_annovar.pl $_ humandb/ -buildver hg19 -protocol refGene,popfreq_all,common,clinvar,clinvarsubmit,clinvarreference -operation g,f,f,f,f,f -otherinfo")' < file.txt I have the above script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
mkxauth(1x)							Linux User's Manual						       mkxauth(1x)

NAME
mkxauth - create and merge .Xauthority files SYNOPSIS(1) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -c [ host [ host ... ] ] (2) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -m login(3) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -f host(4) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -r host [ -l login ] (5) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -z host [ -l login ] DESCRIPTION
mkxauth aids in the creation and maintenance of X authentication databases (.Xauthority files). Use it to create a ~/.Xauthority file or merge keys from another local or remote .Xauthority file. Remote .Xauthority files can be retrieved via FTP (using ncftp(1)) or via rsh(1). For a slight measure of security, mkxauth does not create any temporary files containing authentication keys (although anyone spy- ing on network packets can see the authentication key data as they pass through the network; for secure network communications, use ssh(1)). Creating and Adding to a .Xauthority File To create a .Xauthority file, use mkxauth -c (see(1) above). mkxauth creates a .Xauthority file in the user's home directory (~/), con- taining a `key' or `magic cookie' for the host it was run on (the one returned by hostname(1)). If a .Xauthority file already exists, the keys are added to it. If keys for that host already exist, they are replaced. To create or add to a .Xauthority file for another user, use mkxauth -u login -c. mkxauth adds keys to ~login/.Xauthority (only the root user is allowed to do this). To add a key for more than one host, specify all hosts on the command line: mkxauth -c daffy porky bugs. All hosts specified on the same command line receive the same key. To create different keys for multiple hosts, run mkxauth for each host in succession: mkxauth -c daffy mkxauth -c porky mkxauth -c bugs Merging Keys from Local .Xauthority Files To merge keys from another local user's .Xauthority file, use mkxauth -m login (see(2) above). mkxauth adds the keys in ~login/.Xauthor- ity to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. ~login/.Xauthority must be readable by the user running mkxauth (normally only the root user can read other people's .Xauthority files). Merging Keys via FTP To merge keys from a remote .Xauthority file via FTP, use mkxauth -f host (see(3) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using ncftp(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. [NOTE: you must have a ~/.netrc file set up to automatically log you into host, otherwise the FTP login attempt will fail.] Merging Keys via rsh(1) To merge keys from remote .Xauthority file via rsh(1), use mkxauth -r host (see(4) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using rsh(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. To login as a different user, use -l login. [NOTE: you must have a .rhosts file set up properly for this to work, otherwise the remote login attempt will fail]. Merging Keys via rsh(1) and gzip(1) If your remote .Xauthority file is large, or to make it slightly less obvious that you're transferring authentication keys over the net- work, mkxauth can gzip(1) your .Xauthority file before retrieving it via rsh(1). To do this, use mkxauth -z host (see(5) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using rsh(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. To login as a different user, use -l login. [NOTE: you must have a .rhosts file set up properly for this to work, otherwise the remote login attempt will fail]. Options To make mkxauth operate quietly, use the -q option. To add to ~login/.Xauthority, use the -u login option. To use login for the remote login in mkxauth -f, mkxauth -r, and mkxauth -z, use the -l login option. Getting Help To get quick help about mkxauth, use mkxauth --help. FILES
~/.Xauthority ~/.netrc ~/.rhosts COMMENTS
mkxauth is mostly useful for maintaining .Xauthority files in an environment which uses startx(1x). xdm(1x) uses its own method of gener- ating .Xauthority files. However, mkxauth is still useful for transferring .Xauthority information to remote login sessions so that the user can display remote X clients on the local host without too much trouble. Note, however, that using rsh(1) is inherently insecure, and sites concerned about security should use ssh(1) instead (see http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/ for more information). SEE ALSO
X(1x), Xsecurity(1x), gzip(1), mcookie(1), md5sum(1), ncftp(1), rsh(1), startx(1x), xauth(1x), xdm(1x) BUGS
Does not respect the XAUTHORITY environment variable. AUTHOR
Conceived and written by Jim Knoble <jmknoble@redhat.com>. Copyright 1996 by Jim Knoble and Red Hat Software. Distributed under the GNU GPL (General Public License); see ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/COPYING for more information. Red Hat Software 12-Dec-1996 mkxauth(1x)