Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to replace last instance of . between two consecutive = sign by , Post 302590621 by saurabhkoar on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 03:51:23 AM
Old 01-17-2012
Hi Skrynesaver/aigles,

can you tell me the logic please. I am a beginner in the shell script area and it seems to very complex Smilie . Any useful link would also be helpful.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Replace $ sign within a file using Vi editor

Can someone help me with this command? I want to replace amount fields which are in the format $99.99 to 99.99 in a large data file which is within a HP box. I use Vi editor and tried this command :1,$s//$///g And this does not seem to work Also, I want to replace ^M with spaces in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtonse
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first instance(not first instance in line)

Alright, I think I know what I am doing with sed(which probably means I don't). But I cant figure out how to replace just the first occurance of a string. I have tried sed, ed, and grep but can't seem to figure it out. If you have any suggestions I am open to anything! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronHorse7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nth instance of string

Hi all, I have file with following content ........................... ..........TEST.......... ..........TEST.......... ..................... .....TEST.......... ..................... ..................... .....TEST.......... I want to replace nth "TEST" with "OK" using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all but skip first instance in a line

I have a record like the one given below. 010000306551~IN ~N~ |WINDWARD PK|Alpharetta| If ~ is present more than instance in a line,then I need to delete those instances. Any ideas? I am working in Solaris (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Perl Mail @ sign search and replace in a file

HI I'm terribly new to perl .. I;ve been trying to use this command to search and replace entries in a file I tried this and it works perl -p -i -e 's/old/new/' filename Problem is that I have a list of email addresses and I need to serach and replace the entire email address as my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to replace right part of equal sign (=) on a line

Hello. Using a bash script , I have a variable name for the file I want to modify FILE_TO_EDIT="/etc/my_config_file"And I have a variable name for the parameter to change PARAMETER="fallback_node" PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE="http://my_server_name.com/new_path" A config file may contain : 1°)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace second to last but one consecutive occurence

Hi Unix Mates, I have requirement where in which I have to replace second to last -1 occurence of space with a word and last occurence of a space with a word and a space,input would be a file. Desired result: Second consecutive to last-1 occurence of space replace with: HRU LAST... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace every second instance of delimeter

Hi, Need help on replacing every second instance of delimeter. Scenario: var="Name1,Value1,Name2,Value2,Name3,Value3,Name4,Value" I want every second "," to replace with "|" I tried like below echo $var| sed 's/,/|/2' But, it's not working. Expected output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies

10. AIX

Replace consecutive occurrence of string in same line

Hi All, I have a requirement to replace consecutive occurence of same string nedd to be replaced. Below is the input and desired output. Input: --------- 123.5|ABC|.|.|. 234.4|DEF|.|.|.|.|.| Output: --------- 123.5|ABC|||. 234.4|DEF||||| so basically "|.|" need to be replaced with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ureddy
9 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)