Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Forceful deletion of folder not working Post 302590591 by harishisnow on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 01:20:58 AM
Old 01-17-2012
Forceful deletion of folder not working

Hello,
I am trying to delete a folder forcefully using the command:
Code:
rm -rf <dir name>

but its still asking for confirmation.
Please help me out with a solution.

scenario:
Code:
bash-3.00$ chmod 777 gcc-3.4.2
bash-3.00$
bash-3.00$
bash-3.00$
bash-3.00$ rm -rf gcc-3.4.2/
rm: examine files in directory gcc-3.4.2/ (yes/no)? yes
rm: examine files in directory gcc-3.4.2//gcc (yes/no)? yes
rm: examine files in directory gcc-3.4.2//gcc/cp (yes/no)?

Regards,
Harish

Last edited by Franklin52; 01-17-2012 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

MV not working from other folder

hi , I have wriiten code in shell script to rename files as $MV ${SOURCE}/index.html ${DEST}/index_en.html I have set the variables and the souce & Dest are same folder.But when i run i am getting the following error DESTdest/index_en.html mv: cannot access SOURCE/index.html is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mar1006
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Script for automatic deletion of old folder

Hi, I have a folder with limited space. So i have to delete folder which are more than 5 days old automatically. So my script should be like delete the folder more than 5 days old. Can someone help me to generate a script for this. Thank you... Cheer Summer (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerpeh
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working with folder names

I have the following directory structure: /maindir /maindir/product1/ /maindir/product1/type1 /maindir/product1/type2 /maindir/product1/type3 /maindir/product2/ /maindir/product2/type1 /maindir/product2/type2 /maindir/product2/type3 /maindir/product2/type4 ... I'm able to traverse... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricksj
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique Directory and Folder Deletion Script

Ok, so I just got charged with the task of deleting some 300 user folders in a FTP server to free up some space. I managed to grep and cut the list of user folders to delete into a list of one user folder per line. Example: bob00 jane01 sue03 In the home folder, there are folders a-z, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sher
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The checking of folder existance is not working...

Hi all, I have the following code: if ; then echo 'folder not exist'; else echo 'folder exist'; fi The "testing" folder is not exist in /home/batch , but thhe result is 'folder exist'. It seems that the code cannot detect that the folder "testing" not exist. ANybody know the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suigion
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Sorting folder size not working

I am using du -h --max-depth=2 to get list of folders by size upto 2 levels down. Problem is I am not able to sort them in max folder size. Normally this can be achieved by using du -k | sort -nr * but I can't use it here since it conflicts (the -s argument) with the --max-depth=2 argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed command to replace "|" with ^ for all *.dat files in a folder not working

I am trying to use the below sed command to replace all "|" to ^, in a folder had 50 dat files. when i tried with 1 file it worked but when i tried with wild card, is not working. sed -i 's/"|"/\^/g' *.dat Is this the proper way to use sed command thank you very much for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
3 Replies
LIGCC(1)							 Listaller Project							  LIGCC(1)

NAME
ligcc - Wrapper around gcc to create more portable apps SYNOPSIS
ligcc [OPTION ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the ligcc command. ligcc is a wrapper around gcc. It allows you to create more portable executables by doing three things: o Forces the linker to link against older glibc symbols. Users who are using an older version of glibc will no longer get "undefined symbol GLIBC_2.4 in /lib/libc.so"-style error messages. o Allows you to easily statically link to any other library. o Automatically removes bogus dependancies. For example, your program uses libfoo. libfoo uses libpng internally, but your app does not. Yet the pkg-config file for libfoo specifies "-lfoo -lpng" is linker parameters. And tadaa - you now have a bogus dependancy on libpng! LiGCC automatically removes the -lpng for you if your app doesn't use libpng directly. o Add $ORIGIN/../lib to the binary's library search path. $ORIGIN is the directory in which the binary exists. This ensures that your binary can find library dependencies which are placed in the 'lib' folder under the same prefix. You might want to install custom libraries into /lib. If you set $APBUILD_PROJECTNAME, ligcc will also add $ORIGIN/../lib/$APBUILD_PROJECTNAME to the library search path. OPTIONS
See the manpage of gcc(1) for more information about possible options. There are also several environment variables available to modify ligcc's behavior check the documentation for more information. SEE ALSO
lig++ (1), gcc(1). Additional documentation can be found on http://listaller.tenstral.net. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthias Klumpp matthias@tenstral.net. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Matthias Klumpp Listaller Project 20 April,2012 LIGCC(1)