Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop Post 302590146 by goddevil on Saturday 14th of January 2012 10:49:51 AM
Old 01-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
If I got it right, you can break it down altering IFS:
Code:
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS=":"

while read A B C; do
   do someting here with $A or $B or $C
done < infile

IFS=$OLDIFS

Thank you Zaxxon.

I understand from your code what you're trying to read the i/p file in the while loop. I actually want to read the value of the variable i from the for loop.

When i try to make the while loop from $i , i am getting the following error :
Quote:
$i: ambiguous redirect
Any thoughts?

---------- Post updated at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:27 PM ----------

Is there any way that the value of the variable i be stored in a file or a variable that can be read by the while loop.

I have tried writing to a file and it does not work.

Code:
for i in $( cat rparam.cfg | tail +$RESPONSE | head -$RESPONSESTOP | grep -v "^#" | grep ':' )

echo $i
$i > .tempparam
while read x y z
do
<stuff>
done < tempparam
rm -f tempparam
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing arguments

I'm trying to pass a filename, or all the files in the current directory to the ls command with a script. Unsuccessful so far, here are a few of my attempts: #!/bin/ksh read fname #if (( $# > 0 )); then $fname | ls -l #fi this produces a long listing of all the files in my current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing in arguments into a file using a loop

Hi, so Im a bit new to shell scripting and want to do the following but not sure how. Basically I have a file named "output" which contains misc text but inside the file I want to set up variables like $1 or some symbol. Anyways, in another file called "list" I have a list of items that I want to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Arguments-Help

Hi, I have a script which adds the user credentials to an ldap server. Im passing the variables as below.. /path/my_script $uname $pwd $environ ${deposit} If i enter some special characters like ';' in $pwd, script returns an error which is set to display if the user enters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments

Hi I have a script to which I pass multiple arguments, for example lets say the script name is "abc". I run the script like ./abc def /file <directory location> In the above "def" is the first argument and "/file" is the second argument. I expect <directory location> that is passed after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to the subshell

I have a shell script which is invoked by passing an argument. The outer shell script calls another subshell and I want the argument passed down to flow down to the subshell. E.g Invoking a shell ======>> abc_refresh.ksh NM Below is the content of abc_refresh.ksh Value1=$1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mihirjani
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments

I need to pass arguments to a shell script.My batch is calling some java program. ################# x=$1 y=$2 java -classpath program ################### if first parameter and second parameter is null then java -classpath program if first parameter is not null and second parameter is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnjx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to csh

I have noticed this thing using csh when passing arguments Suppose I call a csh script using ../Scripts/plot-model.csh -vmod="npt02-z30.vmod" -R="0/80/0/30" -c="0/4.5" -aspr="1:10" Somehow the " get removed when doing $argv ending up with -vmod=npt02-z30.vmod... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments that contain space

hi All, i am trying to pass arguments that contain space , value will be stored in variables to be used further in script , i went thru previous posting , still its not clear to how to implement for my case. passing 3 args test.sh it is 'fun to work in unix' inside shell ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using here document when passing arguments

I have a script test.sh which reads various inputs from a user. #!/bin/ksh read x read y read z echo x: $x y: $y z: $z # read few more things again read a read b echo a: $a b: $b When i run this script as test.sh << EOF 1 2 EOF (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesb2b
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)