Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: etc/passwd help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers etc/passwd help Post 302590116 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 14th of January 2012 06:08:16 AM
Old 01-14-2012
'get the users' can mean different things
list users
Code:
awk -F ':'  '{ print $1}'  /etc/passwd

find if a user exists, ex: username exactly = john
Code:
grep ':john:'  /etc/passwd | awk -F':' '{print $1}'

find users with john in the name
Code:
awk -F':' '{print $1}' /etc/passwd | grep 'john'

[/code]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd

Can anyone explain the second and third fields in /etc/passwd. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no /etc/passwd

Hello ppl, A small mistake of mine has led the /etc/passwd file deleted. So i went to rescue mode and used the following command echo "root::0:0:Superuser:/:/bin/bash" > passwd but that did not get effect in anyway way. when I switch back to normal mode the root is still asking for a passwd.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

passwd

Dear frnds, I have 250 users in passwd file with different passwords, how i can change the password to username+99. pls help out. regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc /etc/passwd

I have left unix for a long time.Almost forget everthing.:( Anybody can tell me what is the meaning? wc /etc/passwd 9 16 1155 /etc/passwd and $ wc -l /etc/passwd wc -l /etc/passwd 9 /etc/passwd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/etc/passwd

Hello All I want to print only the full name from the /etc/passwd file and print it to the screen . Could you please let me know how can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
4 Replies

6. AIX

etc/passwd

Is there any way to allow users to access the etc/passwd file for commands like whoami but not be able to read the file? If I don't put a user in the security group and change the permissions on the etc/passwd file to 640 (rw-r-----) the users can login but the whoami command doesn't work for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd

Hello , how to open utemp,getpwuid files.I know what info these files will carry but i dont know ow to open see the info present in it. Thanks to help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
4 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd -s

Hi, I've a problem regarding understanding of result of passwd -s command. > passwd -s abc PS 05/24/12 0 441 I'm not a super user. But i need to write a simple code for checking password expiry and send an email to the team id. Is there any other command or way to achieve this?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
6 Replies
PAM_LOCALUSER(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_LOCALUSER(8)

NAME
pam_localuser - require users to be listed in /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pam_localuser.so [debug] [file=/path/passwd] DESCRIPTION
pam_localuser is a PAM module to help implementing site-wide login policies, where they typically include a subset of the network's users and a few accounts that are local to a particular workstation. Using pam_localuser and pam_wheel or pam_listfile is an effective way to restrict access to either local users and/or a subset of the network's users. This could also be implemented using pam_listfile.so and a very short awk script invoked by cron, but it's common enough to have been separated out. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. file=/path/passwd Use a file other than /etc/passwd. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
All module types (account, auth, password and session) are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The new localuser was set successfully. PAM_SERVICE_ERR No username was given. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/su to allow only local users in group wheel to use su. account sufficient pam_localuser.so account required pam_wheel.so FILES
/etc/passwd Local user account information. SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_localuser was written by Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_LOCALUSER(8)