Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with central syslog
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with central syslog Post 302590048 by samnyc on Friday 13th of January 2012 03:56:48 PM
Old 01-13-2012
Thanks. Which is better Splunk vs syslog-ng ? Please advice.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Central Logging

Hello All, I need to implement central logging for our Linux/Solaris environment and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on software/architecture. The ability to view live/search old logs via a gui and DB support is a must. Preferably an Oracle DB... Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwells
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

Central Syslog

Hello, Does anyone have any suggestions for a central logging solution? We have several different environments. (dev, fit, prod) I think I've settled on using rsyslog but I'm not sure on best practice. Should I tier the logging? Is a database required? etc... Any suggestions? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwells
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Central Backup Server

Hi , I have several Linux Servers , and now i want to run a Central backup server. . I'm looking forward finding an enterprise solution for this affair . there are different types of data on this servers, like : Mysql databases , mail server, web server , Cacti and MRTG graphs , ... I find some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nasser
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to create - Central access printer..

Guys, Totally new to this... I have asked to create a Central access printer to an AIX Server.. Spoolserver : SapErpDev_DEV_00 Host : SapErpDev IP : 172.30.1.17 Device type : HPLJ4 Printer model - HPLJ 4 : HP laserjet 4 series PCL - 5 Question.. From my understanding, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mushr00m
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Help to setup Central server for Solaris10.

Hi Experts, In our env, we have around 100 more solaris 8,9,10 servers, we quaterly apply patches & emergency fixes, for this we take prior OS Ufsdump bkp, In order to reduce the efforts to go DC & load each time the tapes on all servers & take the ufsdump backup, we planned to set up a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fizan
2 Replies

6. AIX

Fix central firmware download

Hello, i'm a french IT student, not very fluent in English. I'm trying to download firmware updates on IBM website but they asking a serial number of a server under warrenty or maintenance. But i have a personnel server for learning, training, etc... and its not under IBM warrenty or maintenance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tharsan
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Central authentication server

Hi guys In the firm we are running Windows and Linux server. Currently all servers are using the same usernames and password and from my opinion is we are running bad and non secure practice. I was looking some documentation and I think best solution is to use SAMBA/LDAP/Kerberos to act as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies
madv.so.1(1)							   User Commands						      madv.so.1(1)

NAME
madv.so.1 - madv library SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/madv.so.1 DESCRIPTION
The madv.so.1 shared object provides a means by which the VM advice can be selectively configured for a launched process (or processes) and its descendants. To enable madv.so.1, the following string needs to be present in the environment (see ld.so.1(1)) along with one or more MADV environment variables: LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:madv.so.1 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
If the madv.so.1 shared object is specified in the LD_PRELOAD list, the following environment variables are read by the madv shared object to determine to which created process(es) to apply the specified advice. MADV=advice MADV specifies the VM advice to use for all heap, shared memory, and mmap regions in the process address space. This advice is applied to all created processes. Values for advice correspond to values in <sys/mman.h> used in madvise(3C) to specify memory access patterns: normal random sequential access_lwp access_many access_default MADVCFGFILE=config-file config-file is a text file which contains one or more madv configuration entries of the form: exec-name exec-args:advice-opts Advice specified in config-file takes precedence over that specified by the MADV environment variable. When MADVCFGFILE is not set, advice is taken from file /etc/madv.conf if it exists. exec-name specifies the name of an application or executable. The corresponding advice is set for newly created processes (see getexec- name(3C)) that match the first exec-name found in the file. exec-name can be a full pathname, a base name, or a pattern string. See File Name Generation in sh(1) for a discussion of pattern matching. exec-args is an optionally specified pattern string to match against arguments. Advice is set only if exec-args is not specified or occurs within the arguments to exec-name. advice-opts is a comma-separated list specifying the advice for various memory region(s): madv=advice Applies to all heap, shared memory, and mmap regions in the process address space. heap=advice The heap is defined to be the brk area (see brk(2)). Applies to the existing heap and for any additional heap mem- ory allocated in the future. shm=advice Shared memory segments (see shmat(2)) attached using any flags, flag SHM_SHARE_MMU, or flag SHM_PAGEABLE respec- ism=advice tively. Options ism and dism take precedence over option shm. dism=advice map=advice Mappings established through mmap(2) using any flags, flag MAP_SHARED, flag MAP_PRIVATE, or flag MAP_ANON, respec- mapshared=advice tively. Options mapshared, mapprivate, and mapanon take precedence over option map. Option mapanon takes precedence mapprivate=advice over mapshared and mapprivate. mapanon=advice MADVERRFILE=pathname By default, error messages are logged via syslog(3C) using level LOG_ERR and facility LOG_USER. If MADVERRFILE contains a valid pathname (such as /dev/stderr), error messages will be logged there instead. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Applying advice to all ISM segments The following configuration applies advice to all ISM segments for application /usr/bin/foo: example$ LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:madv.so.1 example$ MADVCFGFILE=madvcfg example$ export LD_PRELOAD MADVCFGFILE example$ cat $MADVCFGFILE /usr/bin/foo:ism=access_lwp Example 2: Setting advice for all applications with exception The following configuration sets advice for all applications with the exception of ls. example$ LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:madv.so.1 example$ MADV=access_many example$ MADVCFGFILE=madvcfg example$ export LD_PRELOAD MADV MADVCFGFILE example$ cat $MADVCFGFILE ls: Example 3: Precedence rules (continuation from Example 2) Because MADVCFGFILE takes precedence over MADV, specifying '*' (pattern match all) for the exec-name of the last madv configuration entry would be equivalent to setting MADV. The following is equivalent to example 2: example$ LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:madv.so.1 example$ MADVCFGFILE=madvcfg example$ export LD_PRELOAD MADVCFGFILE example$ cat $MADVCFGFILE ls: *:madv=access_many Example 4: Applying advice for different regions The following configuration applies one type of advice for mmap regions and different advice for heap and shared memory regions for a select set of applications with exec names that begin with foo: example$ LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:madv.so.1 example$ MADVCFGFILE=madvcfg example$ export LD_PRELOAD MADVCFGFILE example$ cat $MADVCFGFILE foo*:madv=access_many,heap=sequential,shm=access_lwp Example 5: Applying advice selectively The following configuration applies advice for the heap of applications beginning with ora that have ora1 as an argument: example$ LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:madv.so.1 example$ MADVCFGFILE=madvcfg example$ export LD_PRELOAD MADVCFGFILE example$ cat $MADVCFGFILE ora* ora1:heap=access_many FILES
/etc/madv.conf Configuration file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWesxu (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), ld.so.1(1), proc(1), sh(1), brk(2), exec(2), fork(2), mmap(2), memcntl(2), shmat(2), getexecname(3C), madvise(3C), syslog(3C), proc(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The advice is inherited. A child process has the same advice as its parent. On exec() (see exec(2)), the advice is set back to the default system advice unless different advice has been configured via the madv shared object. Advice is only applied to mmap regions explicitly created by the user program. Those regions established by the run-time linker or by sys- tem libraries making direct system calls (for example, libthread allocations for thread stacks) are not affected. SunOS 5.10 15 Feb 2002 madv.so.1(1)