Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If/then problems
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If/then problems Post 302589750 by tdalyman on Thursday 12th of January 2012 01:13:52 PM
Old 01-12-2012
For this particular script I do not believe i need variables because the names I defined at the beginning of the script are the only possible commands to be entered. So each if/then will go one way or another until it finds the entered input if that makes any sense. Also, is it possible to run another script like I have with two things next to it, i.e. $MB $CT? If I ran that command by itself it must be entered ./sas (MBA) (CT) where MBA=$MB and CT=$CT. It will not run correctly/at all if I use this "ask" script that i have posted.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'make' problems (compliation problems?)

I'm trying to compile and install both most recent version of 'make' and the most recent version of 'openssh' on my Sparc20. I've run into the following problems... and I don't know what they mean. Can someone please help me resolve these issues? I'm using the 'make' version that was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few problems

Hi how can i do this? 1) shell script which writes data and time on to a file if filesystem exceeds 70% of space. 2) make entry to cron table to run a script every 15 mins. and can anyone expplain or demonstrate the difference between variables used in inside a function and outside a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with Last

Hi, I,ve a Unixware 7.1.3 working correctly for two years ago, since a several weeks I've a problem with the command last . The information that this command return is : For example : 1.- The user root , time login : 12:15 h, time logoff 12:15 h (the real time is 14:00). Connected time is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with If

I'm having problems uses "if" it works fine when i do this. #!/bin/sh a= 10 qw= 2 w= 20 { if && ;then echo 3 fi } However if i try to do #!/bin/sh a= 10 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: THM
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with using less

Hello, I am having problems with using less on Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 (brewbuilder@hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)). I am using csh but have the same problems on bash. If I pipe something to less it works perfectly i.e. cat file | less... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with $?

Hello, I have the following piece of code that tries to retrieve the result of a .sh: . $HOME/prueba/Scripts/Recogida/recogida_sedra.sh resultado=$? echo "el resultado es : $resultado" if ; then echo "Se va a preprocesar los archivos" In the code of recogida.sh I have the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: danietepa
8 Replies

7. SuSE

Problems!!

good friends I am new to linux and I have the following TELNET service problem entering data devo telnet to a Windows server 2003 server and passes will not let me since the move to this server by telnet tells me the characters and thus invalidates me income, I have a service application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pepetico
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with IF Else ??!!

I have written the following code in cygwin to create directories in windows based on the parameter passed. echo $1 > fullpath path1=`awk -F / '{print $1}' $fullpath path2=`awk -F / '{print $2}' $fullpath if then if then if then continue ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: janardhanamk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

About ps -ef and if-else problems

I'm new in Shell Programming and Scripting, I would like to ask some questions. ps -ef | grep $appNAme | grep -v grep <-- what will it return when it find a process is running? return 1 or 0 if then exit 1 <--- if = 0 , run this ? else continue <--- if = 1 , run this ?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoAlex
5 Replies
after(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  after(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
after - Execute a command after a time delay SYNOPSIS
after ms after ms ?script script script ...? after cancel id after cancel script script script ... after idle ?script script script ...? after info ?id? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to delay execution of the program or to execute a command in background sometime in the future. It has several forms, depending on the first argument to the command: after ms Ms must be an integer giving a time in milliseconds. The command sleeps for ms milliseconds and then returns. While the command is sleeping the application does not respond to events. after ms ?script script script ...? In this form the command returns immediately, but it arranges for a Tcl command to be executed ms milliseconds later as an event handler. The command will be executed exactly once, at the given time. The delayed command is formed by concatenating all the script arguments in the same fashion as the concat command. The command will be executed at global level (outside the context of any Tcl procedure). If an error occurs while executing the delayed command then the background error will be reported by the com- mand registered with interp bgerror. The after command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after cancel. after cancel id Cancels the execution of a delayed command that was previously scheduled. Id indicates which command should be canceled; it must have been the return value from a previous after command. If the command given by id has already been executed then the after can- cel command has no effect. after cancel script script ... This command also cancels the execution of a delayed command. The script arguments are concatenated together with space separators (just as in the concat command). If there is a pending command that matches the string, it is cancelled and will never be executed; if no such command is currently pending then the after cancel command has no effect. after idle script ?script script ...? Concatenates the script arguments together with space separators (just as in the concat command), and arranges for the resulting script to be evaluated later as an idle callback. The script will be run exactly once, the next time the event loop is entered and there are no events to process. The command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after can- cel. If an error occurs while executing the script then the background error will be reported by the command registered with interp bgerror. after info ?id? This command returns information about existing event handlers. If no id argument is supplied, the command returns a list of the identifiers for all existing event handlers created by the after command for this interpreter. If id is supplied, it specifies an existing handler; id must have been the return value from some previous call to after and it must not have triggered yet or been cancelled. In this case the command returns a list with two elements. The first element of the list is the script associated with id, and the second element is either idle or timer to indicate what kind of event handler it is. The after ms and after idle forms of the command assume that the application is event driven: the delayed commands will not be executed unless the application enters the event loop. In applications that are not normally event-driven, such as tclsh, the event loop can be entered with the vwait and update commands. EXAMPLES
This defines a command to make Tcl do nothing at all for N seconds: proc sleep {N} { after [expr {int($N * 1000)}] } This arranges for the command wake_up to be run in eight hours (providing the event loop is active at that time): after [expr {1000 * 60 * 60 * 8}] wake_up The following command can be used to do long-running calculations (as represented here by ::my_calc::one_step, which is assumed to return a boolean indicating whether another step should be performed) in a step-by-step fashion, though the calculation itself needs to be arranged so it can work step-wise. This technique is extra careful to ensure that the event loop is not starved by the rescheduling of processing steps (arranging for the next step to be done using an already-triggered timer event only when the event queue has been drained) and is useful when you want to ensure that a Tk GUI remains responsive during a slow task. proc doOneStep {} { if {[::my_calc::one_step]} { after idle [list after 0 doOneStep] } } doOneStep SEE ALSO
concat(n), interp(n), update(n), vwait(n) KEYWORDS
cancel, delay, idle callback, sleep, time Tcl 7.5 after(n)