Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading arguments for a shell script from file Post 302589729 by goddevil on Thursday 12th of January 2012 12:19:40 PM
Old 01-12-2012
I have run into problem.
I am using the following code to read from parameters.txt
Code:
while read x y
do
    ./shscript $x $y
done < parameters.txt

Code:
$ cat parameters.txt
env value1
env value2
env value3
env value4
env value5
env value6
env value7
env value8

This works perfectly.But if i make a small tweak to the code and include a if condition inside the while loop, only the alternate arguments are being read. For e.g, if i use the following code:
Code:
while read x y
do
    ./shscript $x $y
if [$y -gt 0 ] ; then
 echo The execution was successful
else
 echo Execution failed
fi
done < parameters.txt

The arguments that are passed to the shell are as follows
Code:
./shscript env value1
./shscript env value3
./shscript env value5
./shscript env value7

Can someone tell me why the alternate arguments are being missed? Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading runtime arguments from a file

Hi All, I am running a script which wud take a long time to complete execution ... In between, it asks for yes/no sort of confirmation from user for doing some acivities .... Now that I dont want to wait till the script executes upto this point where it needs user confirmation, is there any way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Passing arguments to a shell script from file while scheduling in cron

Hi, I have a shell script Scp_1.sh for which I have to pass 2 arguments to run. I have another script Scp_2.sh which in turns calls script Scp_1.sh inside. How do I make Scp_1.sh script to read arguments automatically from a file, while running Scp_2.sh? -- Weblogic Support (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: weblogicsupport
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file reading through shell script

For reading a file through shell script I am using yhe code : while read line do echo $line done<data.txt It reads all the line of that file data.txt. Content of data.txt looks like: code=y sql=y total no of sql files=4 a.sql b.sql c.sql d.sql cpp=n c=y total no of c files=1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to SQL file passed in shell script?

Hi, I am using SYBASE database. in my script i am connecting to DB via using isql. isql -U${S_USER} -S${S_SERV} -D${S_DB} -P${S_PWD} -b0 -w3000 -h0 -s"|" -i${MYDIR}/ABC.sql -oXYZ.txt << FINSQL i am taking a ABC.sql file to use the queries written in it and storing the output in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

send arguments to a .exe file from a shell script

Folks , can anyone post a sample showing a way to parse a variable containing a string to a .exe file . Thanks Venu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading from a file in shell script

Hi All, I'm writing a script to read a file line by line and then perform awk function on it. I am getting an error . My file has one name in it "James". I'm expecting my o/p to be youareJamesbond James ./users.sh: line 7: =: command not found #script to read file line by line #adding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

php file unable to run shell script with arguments

echo $result=exec("./permit.sh".$_FILES); pls suggest some other method to run shell script in php .:wall::mad: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: upvan111
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script file check throws [: too many arguments

While I am trying to check the filename/s in IF statement of a shell script (RedHat Linux 6) I am getting below error: File check: filename_time2=`date --date='yesterday' +%Y-%m-%d` cd /location/of/the/files/to/copy if then cp server.log-$filename_time2* ../archive/new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing Arguments to shell script from file is not working as expected.

Hi All, I have below simple shell script in cloudera quick start vm cenos 6 which copy file from source to destination. # file_copy.sh source_dir = ${source_dir} target = ${target_dir} cp source_dir target and my parameter file is like below #parameter_file.txt source_dir =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narasimhasss
4 Replies
hx509 enviroment functions(3)					Heimdalx509library				     hx509 enviroment functions(3)

NAME
hx509 enviroment functions - Functions int hx509_env_add (hx509_context context, hx509_env *env, const char *key, const char *value) int hx509_env_add_binding (hx509_context context, hx509_env *env, const char *key, hx509_env list) const char * hx509_env_lfind (hx509_context context, hx509_env env, const char *key, size_t len) const char * hx509_env_find (hx509_context context, hx509_env env, const char *key) hx509_env hx509_env_find_binding (hx509_context context, hx509_env env, const char *key) void hx509_env_free (hx509_env *env) Detailed Description Function Documentation int hx509_env_add (hx509_context context, hx509_env * env, const char * key, const char * value) Add a new key/value pair to the hx509_env. Parameters: context A hx509 context. env enviroment to add the enviroment variable too. key key to add value value to add Returns: An hx509 error code, see hx509_get_error_string(). int hx509_env_add_binding (hx509_context context, hx509_env * env, const char * key, hx509_env list) Add a new key/binding pair to the hx509_env. Parameters: context A hx509 context. env enviroment to add the enviroment variable too. key key to add list binding list to add Returns: An hx509 error code, see hx509_get_error_string(). const char* hx509_env_find (hx509_context context, hx509_env env, const char * key) Search the hx509_env for a key. Parameters: context A hx509 context. env enviroment to add the enviroment variable too. key key to search for. Returns: the value if the key is found, NULL otherwise. hx509_env hx509_env_find_binding (hx509_context context, hx509_env env, const char * key) Search the hx509_env for a binding. Parameters: context A hx509 context. env enviroment to add the enviroment variable too. key key to search for. Returns: the binding if the key is found, NULL if not found. void hx509_env_free (hx509_env * env) Free an hx509_env enviroment context. Parameters: env the enviroment to free. const char* hx509_env_lfind (hx509_context context, hx509_env env, const char * key, size_t len) Search the hx509_env for a length based key. Parameters: context A hx509 context. env enviroment to add the enviroment variable too. key key to search for. len length of key. Returns: the value if the key is found, NULL otherwise. Version 1.5.2 11 Jan 2012 hx509 enviroment functions(3)