Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to search similar strings and add their values Post 302589581 by itkamaraj on Thursday 12th of January 2012 06:44:49 AM
Old 01-12-2012
Code:
$ nawk -F, '{OFS=","}{a[$1]+=$2}END{for(i in a){print i, a[i]}}' test.txt
wednesday,43
thursday,34
tuesday,10
monday,45
friday,12

This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search for Quoted strings (')

Hi All, I have files: 1. abc.sql 'This is a sample file for testing' This does not have quotations this also does not have quotations. and this 'has quotations'. here I need to list the hard coded strings 'This is a sample file for testing' and 'has quotations'. So i have... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprattip
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Varying number of awk search strings

I've created an awk script that handles a varying number of search strings handed to it as command line parameters ($1 $2 etc). There may be 1, or 2 or 3 or more. A simplified version of the script is: awk -v TYP="$1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6" ' BEGIN { CTYP = split (TYP,TYPP," ") } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarlosNC
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: read values from file1; search for values in file2

I have read another post about this issue and am wondering how to adapt it to my own, much simpler, issue. I have a file of user IDs like so: 333333 321321 546465 ...etc I need to take each number and use it to print records wherein the 5th field matches the user ID pulled from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk to Search Two Strings on One Line

If i wanted to search for two strings that are on lines in the log, how do I do it? The following code searches for just one string that is one one line. awk '/^/ {split($2,s,",");a=$1 FS s} /failure agaf@fafa/ {b=a} END{print b}' urfile What if I wanted to search for "failure agaf@fafa"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to search strings within a file from two different lines

Hi, i would really appreciate any help anyone can give with the following info. Thanks in advance. I need to run a search on a file that contains thousands of trades, each trade is added into the file in blocks of 25 lines. i know the search has to take place between a time stamp specified... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp3arsy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search an output string between two strings

I would like to search for strings stored in searchstringfile.txt in inputfiles. searchstringfile.txt J./F. Gls. Wal F. Towerinput1.txt What is needed is J./F. 12 var Gls. Wal 16 interp. Tower 12 input2.txt Awk shall search for F. 16 pt. J./F. 22 output.txt input1.txt J./F. = 12 var... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search similar strings and arrange in a specified pattern

Hi, I'm running a DB query which returns names of people and writes it in a text file as shown below: Carey, Jim; Cena, John Cena, John Sen, Tim; Burt, Terrence Lock, Jessey; Carey, Jim Norris, Chuck; Lee, Bruce Rock, Dwayne; Lee, Bruce I want to use awk and get all the names... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashu_g
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to match strings and outputing their corresponding values

Hi I will appreciate it if you can help me out. I have a file that contains this data System Load: 3244 card: 1903 CPU: 6% card: 1904 CPU: 6% card: 1905 CPU: 28% card: 1906 CPU: 28% card: 1907 CPU: 36% card: 1908 CPU: 37% I need to manipulate and output this as system_load:3244... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaf3773
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search for a particular tag in xml and collate all similar tag values and display them count

I want to basically do the below thing. Suppose there is a tag called object1. I want to display an output for all similar tag values under heading of Object 1 and the count of the xmls. Please help File: <xml><object1>house</object1><object2>child</object2>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add values of similar patterns with awk

so my output is this: session_closed=157 session_opened=151 session_closed=18 session_opened=17 there are two patterns here, but with different values. the two patterns are "session_opened" and "session_closed". i expect there will be many more other patterns. what i want to do is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)