Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable scope in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable scope in bash Post 302589397 by haaru on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 01:24:13 PM
Old 01-11-2012
Actually I altered the script to just use one AWK statement as "Corona688" suggested. It now looks like this (also corrected a bug):

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; export PATH
TEMP1="/tmp/raw-sar-output.txt$$"
sar -d 5 4 > $TEMP1
AVG_START=`awk '/^Average/ {print NR}' $TEMP1`
TOT_LINES=`cat $TEMP1 |wc -l`
TAIL_LINES=`expr $TOT_LINES - $AVG_START + 1`
tail -$TAIL_LINES $TEMP1 | awk '{ if ($1 == "Average") sum=sum + $5; else sum=sum + $4 } ; END{print sum}'
rm -f "$TEMP1" 2>/dev/null
exit 0

I noticed afterwards that the sar command was causing most of the delay but then again I am under the impression that bash was a bit faster.

To answer "methyl"'s question, I will use this script along with net-SNMP extend (or exec if you will) functionality. The idea is to graph the accumulation of read/writes on servers.

So... Can someone propose a logical interval? The servers that will be queried I assure are very very busy Smilie

Currently I have it set as
Code:

sar -d 5 4

this also helps so that my snmpwalks do not time out.

For the sake of learning.. Can someone answer how come the variable scope of the variable "CONT" is not global...?

Last edited by haaru; 01-11-2012 at 02:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ variable scope and mutexes

I've been wondering if I can make mutexes much easier to use in C++ with creative use of a locking class and variable scope, but I'm not sure if things happen in the order I want. Here's pseudocode for something that could use the class: int someclass::getvalue() { int retval; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with shell variable's scope

Hi, I am stuck while developing a shell sub-routine which checks the log file for "success" or "failure". The subroutine reads the log file and checks for key word "success", if found it set the variable (found=1). It returns success or failure based on this variable. My problem is, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of the variable - Naga

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting, in the below script "num" is an input file which contains a series of numbers example : 2 3 5 8 I want to add the above all numbers and want the result finally outside the while loop. it prints the value zero instead of the actual expected... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagnatar
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable scope

Hi, I want to know about the variable scope in shell script. How can we use the script argument inside the function? fn () { echo $1 ## I want this argument should be the main script argument and not the funtion argument. } also are there any local,global types in shell script? if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash loops and variable scope

Hi All, I've been researching this problem and I am pretty sure that the issue is related to the while loop and the piping. There are plenty of other threads about this issue that recommend removing the pipe and using redirection. However, I haven't been able to get it working using the ssh and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1skydive
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with retaining variable scope

Hi, I use Korn Shell. Searched Forum and modified the way the file is input to the while loop, but still the variable does not seem to be retaining the final count. while read name do Tmp=`echo $name | awk '{print $9 }'` Count=`cat $Tmp | wc -l`... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintain Scope of the variable in UNIX

Hi All Is there is any way to maintain the scope of the variable in unix Example x=1 j=1 while do .. .... .... while do .. .. x=x+1 done #inner most while loop ends here done #outer loop ends here (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: variable and function scope and subscripts

Hi, I'm a Delphi developer new to linux, new to this forums and new to BASH programming and got a new task in my work: maintaining an existing set of BASH scripts. First thing I want to do is making the code more reliable as in my opinion it's really bad written. So here's the quest: I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rse
6 Replies

9. Programming

Variable Scope in Perl

I have to admit that i have not used Perl at all and this is a singular occasion where i have to patch an existing Perl script. I dearly hope i do not have to do it again for the next 15 years and therefore try to avoid having to learn the programming language in earnest. The OS is AIX 7.1, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux