Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers divide the file into multiple files based on the city name Post 302589165 by raghukreddy.ab on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 02:54:23 AM
Old 01-11-2012
Question divide the file into multiple files based on the city name

Hi,

I have a file abc.dat. It contains the fileds of empid, empname, empcity. each city contains 10 records. i want to create the city file and pass the same city records into the file. I don't know the city names.

In unix using awk command how can we do?

abc.dat:

1 john delhi
2 smith pune
3 chandra bangalore
4 mohan delhi
5 singh delhi
6 goud pune
7 somnath bangalore
etc..

output:

delhi.dat
1 john delhi
4 mohan delhi
5 singh delhi

pune.dat
2 smith pune
6 goud pune

bangalore.dat
3 chandra bangalore
7 somnath bangalore

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to divide single large log file into multiple files.

Can you please help me with writing script for following purpose. I have to divide single large web access log file into multiple log files based on dates inside the log file. For example: if data is logged in the access file for jan-10-08 , jan-11-08 , Jan-12-08 then make small log file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamleshm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create a file based on multiple files

Hey everyone. I am trying to figure out a way to create a file that will be renamed based off of one of multiple files. For example, if I have 3 files (cat.ctl, dog.ctl, and bird.ctl) that gets placed on to an ftp site I want to create a single file called new.cat.ctl, new.dog.ctl, etc for each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coach5779
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on the input pattern

I have a file with lines something like. ...... 123_start ...... ....... 123_end .... ..... 456_start ...... ..... 456_end .... ..... 789_start .... .... 789_end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinash
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on first two digits of file.

Hi , I do have a fixedwidth flatfile that has data for 10 different datasets each identified by the first two digits in the flatfile. 01 in the first two digit position refers to Set A 02 in the first two digit position refers to Set B and so on I want to genrate 10 different files from my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on field value

Hi, I've one requirement. I have to split one comma delimited file into multiple files based on one of the column values. How can I achieve this Unix Here is the sample data. In this case I have split the files based on date column(c4) Input file c1,c2,c3,c4,c5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manasvi24
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split file into multiple files using awk based on 1 field in the file?

Good day all I need some helps, say that I have data like below, each field separated by a tab DATE NAME ADDRESS 15/7/2012 LX a.b.c 15/7/2012 LX1 a.b.c 16/7/2012 AB a.b.c 16/7/2012 AB2 a.b.c 15/7/2012 LX2 a.b.c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexyyw
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide an EBCDIC files into multiple files based on value at 45-46 bytes

Hi All, I do have an EBCDIC file sent from the z/os , this file has records with different record types in it, the type of record is identified by bytes 45-46 like value 12 has employee record value 14 has salaray record and etc.... we do now want to split the big ebcdic file into multiple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a big file into multiple files based on first four characters

I have a requirement to split a huge file to smaller text files based on first four characters which look like ABCD 1234 DFGH RREX : : : : : 0000 Each of these records are OF EQUAL bytes with a different internal layout based on the above first digit identifier.. Any help to start... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldev
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a single file into multiple files based on a value.

Hi All, I have the sales_data.csv file in the directory as below. SDDCCR; SOM ; MD6546474777 ;05-JAN-16 ABC ; KIRAN ; CB789 ;04-JAN-16 ABC ; RAMANA; KS566767477747 ;06-JAN-16 ABC ; KAMESH; A33535335 ;04-JAN-16 SDDCCR; DINESH; GD6674474747 ;08-JAN-16... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Concatenation of multiple files based on file pattern

Hi, I have the following reports that get generated every 1 hour and this is my requirement: 1. 5 reports get generated every hour with the names "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CTLR" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.ACCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.BCCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CCCD"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
1 Replies
flowtop(8)                                                      netsniff-ng-toolkit                                                     flowtop(8)

NAME
flowtop - provide top-like netfilter connection tracking information SYNOPSIS
flowtop [--city-db <path>][--country-db <path>] [-T|--tcp][-U|--udp][-v|--version][-h|--help] DESCRIPTION
flowtop is a tiny tool to print human-readable netfilter connection tracking information. EXAMPLES
flowtop Show only TCP flows flowtop --udp Show only UDP flows flowtop --city-db /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIPCity.dat Use the specified GeoIP city database flowtop --country-db /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat Use the specified GeoIP country database OPTIONS
-T|--tcp Only show TCP flows (default) -U|--udp Only show UDP flows -s|--show-src Also include flow source in top output --city-db Path to GeoIP city database --country-db Path to GeoIP country database -v|--version Print version. -h|--help Print help text and lists all options. AUTHOR
Written by Daniel Borkmann <daniel@netsniff-ng.org> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by Emmanuel Roullit <emmanuel@netsniff-ng.org> BUGS
Please report bugs to <bugs@netsniff-ng.org> 2012-06-29 flowtop(8)