Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix installation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix installation Post 302588969 by chakriAX on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 10:37:25 AM
Old 01-10-2012
Unix installation

Dear friends,
I am new to unix. I want to execute unix commands. i installed putty software in Windows xp but it is not working.i got a problem at host name.Dont know what is happeneing.(cursor not moving)

Can i install the Unix OS and execute unix commands with out using Putty software.
Please help me.Smilie

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me with the installation of Unix Solaris 8

i got a burnt copy of solaris 8 which was download off of www.sun.com the person who borrowed me the 3 cds said he successfully has the solaris 8 thing installed on his pc. how come when I tried to install it on mines, I get a bunch of errors messages some of which includes words like "disk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installation of oracle8i on unix

hi sir i want know important steps and issues involved in installing Oracle 8i on most of the unix system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vandana
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Installation age

Hi.. Is there any way to find out when the OS was installed for a system? How can we find that out? My system is : IBM AIX 4.3.3 RS6000 Thanks, ST2000 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
3 Replies

4. SCO

Problem during unix installation

i have a problem with installing unix after booting system by itself floppy , during checking the hardware devices computer hangs , and stops. it checks: %fpu %serial %floppy %console %pci %adapter %tape %cd-rom G hd_config in this place system got stop. remember i passed this step at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uranium
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help with UNIX installation

Hello I am new to UNIX I have no idea about its functions and commands but i am interested in learning it. I have SCO unix ver 3.2. How can i install it to co exist on a computer with Win XP (SP 2) already installed on it ? My hardware specs are P IV 1.5 Ghz, 256 MB Ram, 2 hard disks a 120... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krish2487
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Basic Unix installation help

Hi, I am a novice in Unix installation. Was experimenting with it. During installation, i created 2 partitions ( what i am calling ). One for the OS which was named SOLARIS & other was named PRI_DOS. Now on completion of installation, where has my PRI_DOS portion gone. How do i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
8 Replies

7. SCO

unix installation problem

hi, im tring installaing sco unix 5.05 in my pc but it is showing an "memory error loading kernel fd(64)unix.text loading ram disk image fd(64)rootfs" can anybody tell me how to solve this problem. my system configuration is 3.2ghz processor,1gb ram,d101ggc mother board thank u bln (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blnprasad
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

unix installation

Hi all, I am having windows in my machine.I am beginner in unix.I dont know head and tail of unix.Can anyone tell what software I have to install in my machine.I want to run unix commands for practice.What ihave to do can anyone help me.what i ahve to install.Pls help me. Thanks, ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raviprakash.451
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix installation

Hi. Yesterday I downloaded an old Unix version - Unix System V Release 4 Version 2.1, but I don`t know how to instal it. In the folder there are DCF files (I suppose they`re some kind of data files) and CCOPY.EXE. This program is Deutch and I couldn`t understand anything. SO... How can I install... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icohim
1 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installation of Unix in VMWare

Hi, I want to install unix in vmware on windows 7. Is it possible. please suggest. If so were can i get the OS(unix). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanaykumar
3 Replies
on(1)							      General Commands Manual							     on(1)

NAME
on - execute command on remote host with environment similar to local SYNOPSIS
| host [command [argument] ... ] DESCRIPTION
executes a command on a remote host, using an environment similar to that of the invoking user where: host specifies the name of the host on which to execute the command. command specifies the command to execute on host If command is not specified, starts a shell on host. argument ... is a list of arguments for command. The user's environment variables are copied to the remote host, and the file system containing the user's current working directory is NFS mounted on the remote host (see nfs(7)). The command is executed on the remote host in the user's current working directory. Commands using relative path names that reference file system objects within the user's current working file system have the same behavior as running the command on the client. The behavior of commands using relative path names that cross the file system boundary or commands using absolute path names depends on the organization of the remote host's file system. Implicit and explicit use of environment variables may also cause a command's behavior to be dependent on the organization of the remote host's file system. For example, the environment variable usually contains absolute path names. Standard input, output and error of the remote command are connected to the appropriate file descriptors on the client. The remote execution daemon does not allow to execute a remote command. The signals and are propagated to the remote command. and are ignored by the remote command. All other signals are delivered to the com- mand. In order to execute a remote command, the remote host must be configured to execute (see rexd(1M)). Options recognizes the following options: Interactive mode. This option is required for commands that must communicate with a terminal such as or Terminal mode changes are propagated to the server. The standard input for an interactive command must be a tty device. The and options are mutually exclusive. Debug mode. Print diagnostic messages during startup of the command. These messages are useful for detecting configuration problems if the command to a specific host is failing. No input mode. This option causes the remote command to get end-of-file (EOF) when it reads from standard input, instead of connecting the standard input of the command to the standard input of the remote command. The option is required when running commands in the background. The and options are mutually exclusive. DIAGNOSTICS
The host name host was not found in the hosts database. The host host is down, unreachable on the network, or not running A problem occurred trying to find the user's current working directory (current_dir). A problem occurred trying to determine the mount point of the user's current working directory (current_dir). The standard input (stdin) of the command with the option is not a tty device. Errors that occur on the server server are propagated back to the client. These messages are documented in the DIAGNOSTICS section of rexd(1M). AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
exports(4), rexd(1M). on(1)