Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Does ${%name} exist in csh?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Does ${%name} exist in csh? Post 302588915 by kristinu on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 07:45:37 AM
Old 01-10-2012
Yes, I have been changing some of the scripts to ksh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

does it exist in linux?

Is there a jumpstart equivalent tool in the linux environment? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su: user x does not exist

somehow my user names and groups on one of our machines are changed to numbers 700, 701, etc. thus, i can only ssh into this machine as root. is there a way to migrate the user names and groups to this machine? thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check the directory exist

I have the below script to check whether directory is exist or not , now I sure the directory /abc NOT exist , but when run the script , it still pop the result is "the directory exist" , could suggest what is wrong ? thx ll -d /abc > /dev/null 2>&1 if then echo "the directory exist !!" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out whether files exist.

I have the following data stored in a file. 1 /home/file13 /home/file2 2 /home/file41 /home/file654 3 /home/file61 /home/file45 4 /home/file81 /home/file43 ... I want to print the first column provided the files represented by the second and third column exist. How to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if pid exist ?

Hi I need help to whit a script that start a program if a nother program is started first . I thought something like this . if then start program 2 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement file exist or not?

How can I check and see if the first parameter is a file existing in the current path or it is a real file and user input some random name in an IF statement? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine the exist status

Hi, i am a novice in scrpting and need your help on the following. i have a script that checks if a file exists: if ; then echo " Files exists" else echo " file not found" fi assuming the files does not exist ,, the script when run dusplays " file not found".. so far true. but when i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk785
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if 10 files exist

Hi All, Whenever i get 10 files(file names like sales*) then another file need to create. May i know how to implement this in KSH. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddireddy
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why does a fakechroot exist?

I am really confused as to why a tool like fakechroot exists and what does it do. Chroot is an ability only for root users, correct? Then a tool that allows to bypass that is clearly a security flaw, correct? When and why would you need something like this? Is there any relation between... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
7 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)