Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CPU usage
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers CPU usage Post 302588912 by methyl on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 07:38:14 AM
Old 01-10-2012
(As a said on your other similar thread).
Please state what Operating System and version you have and what Shell you prefer.
There is much variation in commands to find out about processes.

Are you interested in current CPU usage percentage, or total CPU usage since the process started?

There is no point anybody posting guesses which might or might not work on your system until we know something about your system. We know from another thread that you prefer not to use "awk" - this will limit the possibilities.

Please post sample command and sample output from your "ps" command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. Programming

CPU usage and memory usage

Please tell me solaris functions/api for getting following information 1- Function that tells how much memory used by current process 2- Function that tells how much memory used by all running processes 3- Function that tells how much CPU is used by current process 4- Function that tells how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

3. Programming

Cpu usage

Hi all, When I have a below while loop in my code (This observation is same for C and Perl) i= 0; while(1) { i++; } for above the CPU uses goes beyond 49% on hp-ux machine, why cpu usage increase at this level for just a simple while loop? and if I have a single print statement... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. Programming

CPU usage

Hi all, I'm using python and psutil a library to get system informations like cpu usage (percent) for a given process. My question is if I have the value in % of the cpu usage how I could get the cpu usage in cycle number I mean not in percent? Thanks a lot D. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
5 Replies

9. AIX

Overall CPU Usage

Hi Guys, I am a newbie on the forum. This is my first post, so first of all I would like to introduce myself. I am a SAS Analyst programmer working for an Health Insurance client. SAS is installed on a 16 CPU AIX Server with partitions running with shared processor. I have couple of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhiim2003
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

CPU Usage

Hi Experts, We encountered problem in one of the production system where some processes were taking higher CPU and after some time it came back to normal.. From system prespective, is there any way to check why processes took more cpu during that particular period. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
16 Replies
aio_proc_thread_pct(5)						File Formats Manual					    aio_proc_thread_pct(5)

NAME
aio_proc_thread_pct - percentage of all process threads allowed in AIO pool VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
The implementation of POSIX AIO on HP-UX uses kernel threads to perform I/Os to filesystems that do not directly support true asynchronous I/O. (This distinction is transparent to the user.) The kernel threads are organized into worker-thread pools (called AIO thread pools) created on a per-process basis. Since a thread pool mechanism for I/Os introduces a variety of trade-offs concerning utilization of CPU time vs. I/O resources, four dynamic tunables are available to customize the behavior of this thread pool: aio_proc_threads(5), aio_proc_thread_pct(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), and aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Please see individual manpages for details on each of these tunables. The tunable specifies, on a per-process basis, the percentage of threads that can be used by the POSIX AIO system as kernel threads for issuing I/Os. The percentage is taken as a percentage of which is the upper bound on the number of threads a process may have. This tunable interacts with in the following way: the maximum number of threads used for AIO will be the smaller of the two values defined by the two tunables; i.e.: This allows the number of AIO threads to vary dynamically with but to always be bound by an absolute limit of Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators that run applications requiring heavy usage of POSIX AIO to filesystems. Restrictions on Changing This tunables is dynamic. Changes to to this tunable take effect immediately for new processes started after the change. They also impact existing processes, but the speed with which the changes propagate to running processes is determined by the tunable When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? should be raised for applications that do not use very many threads for their own work, but desire high performance from the POSIX AIO sub- system. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? Some applications that use POSIX AIO but also require a large number of threads may find that they are unable to create new threads, because the POSIX AIO thread pool ends up using too many of a process' allowable threads. In addition, using a larger number of kernel threads might lead to increased CPU utilization. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? should be lowered when POSIX AIO performance is acceptable but applications using POSIX AIO are seeing errors when trying to create new threads for other work. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? By ultimately reducing the number of threads available to handle POSIX AIO requests, overall I/O throughput of the POSIX AIO subsystem could be reduced. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time as This One? interacts with this tunable by setting a strict limit on the number of threads that can be used for POSIX AIO. This allows a hard limit to be imposed, regardless of what value happens to take. defines the desired relationship between the number of POSIX AIO kernel threads and the number of I/Os to be serviced. defines how often (in seconds) the AIO thread mechanism will monitor itself for adherence to the constraints defined by the tunables above. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), aio_proc_threads(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters aio_proc_thread_pct(5)