Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Carriage return ksh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Carriage return ksh Post 302588789 by LiorAmitai on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 02:05:07 AM
Old 01-10-2012
Tools Carriage return ksh

Hello,

How do i usecarriage return in ksh.
I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen.

I tried:
Code:
until [ -z "$answer" ]; do
   echo "bla bla \r"
done

please advice.

Thanks.

Last edited by methyl; 01-10-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: repaired code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable. $ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length. Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance. Giovanni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want carriage return

I have observed with print & echo, they produce carriage return <CR> or newline, after they display string next to them. Is there anyway to avoide these <CR> after the intended string is displayed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces after carriage return

I have a file that I have to place a carriage return at the end of each line for another program to process it. I also need to remove all spaces after the carriage return. I searched the forums and found this command, but it removes all spaces: sed "s/*//g" ic527.txt > ic527.new The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removal of return carriage baffling me?

hi ALL, bash-3.00$ echo $BASH_VERSION 3.00.16(1)-release I'm stumped on a bug. Im extracting a checksum value at the end of a file and storing it in a variable, the problem is that it is also somehow storing the carriage return in the string as show below: The variables below both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 carriage return within a record

Hi all, need your help in replacing carriage return in a record. Input: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10 1|aa|bb|cc|dd|eee eee|ff|ggggg|hh hhh|iii 2|zz|yy|xx|ww|vv|uu|tt|ss|rr Output: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search_Replace with a Carriage Return

Hey folks, I've been working on this for some time. Seems simple, but I'm stumped. I need the following data format: New_York:Commercial Geology Geophysics Petrophysics Production_Engineering Reservoir_Engineering Pasadena:Commercial ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute \n with carriage return

Hello all, I've a flat file in the following format: AB\001\CDED\001\ABC\001\nEG\001\HIJF\001\EFG\001\nHI\003\HIUL\003\HIJ\003 And I want to substitute \n with the carriage return. Any help is appreciated! Regards, - Seth (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh string replacement over a carriage return

Hi. I need to make multiple string replacements in a file but several of the strings have been broken up by a carriage return so that the first few characters are on one line and the remainder on the following line. E.g like the word 'post' in the following: Use descriptive thread... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Big_Jeffrey
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies
Config::Model::DumpAsData(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Config::Model::DumpAsData(3pm)

NAME
Config::Model::DumpAsData - Dump configuration content as a perl data structure VERSION
version 2.021 SYNOPSIS
use Config::Model ; use Log::Log4perl qw(:easy) ; use Data::Dumper ; Log::Log4perl->easy_init($WARN); # define configuration tree object my $model = Config::Model->new ; $model ->create_config_class ( name => "MyClass", element => [ [qw/foo bar/] => { type => 'leaf', value_type => 'string' }, baz => { type => 'hash', index_type => 'string' , cargo => { type => 'leaf', value_type => 'string', }, }, ], ) ; my $inst = $model->instance(root_class_name => 'MyClass' ); my $root = $inst->config_root ; # put some data in config tree the hard way $root->fetch_element('foo')->store('yada') ; $root->fetch_element('bar')->store('bla bla') ; $root->fetch_element('baz')->fetch_with_id('en')->store('hello') ; # put more data the easy way my $step = 'baz:fr=bonjour baz:hr="dobar dan"'; $root->load( step => $step ) ; print Dumper($root->dump_as_data); # $VAR1 = { # 'bar' => 'bla bla', # 'baz' => { # 'en' => 'hello', # 'fr' => 'bonjour', # 'hr' => 'dobar dan' # }, # 'foo' => 'yada' # }; DESCRIPTION
This module is used directly by Config::Model::Node to dump the content of a configuration tree in perl data structure. The perl data structure is a hash of hash. Only CheckList content will be stored in an array ref. Note that undefined values are skipped for list element. I.e. if a list element contains "('a',undef,'b')", the data structure will contain 'a','b'. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( ) No parameter. The constructor should be used only by Config::Model::Node. Methods dump_as_data(...) Return a perl data structure Parameters are: node Reference to a Config::Model::Node object. Mandatory full_dump Also dump default values in the data structure. Useful if the dumped configuration data will be used by the application. (default is yes) skip_auto_write Skip node that have a "perl write" capability in their model. See Config::Model::AutoRead. auto_vivify Scan and create data for nodes elements even if no actual data was stored in them. This may be useful to trap missing mandatory values. ordered_hash_as_list By default, ordered hash (i.e. the order of the keys are important) are dumped as Perl list. This is the faster way to dump such hashed while keeping the key order. But it's the less readable way. When this parameter is 1 (default), the ordered hash is dumped as a list: [ A => 'foo', B => 'bar', C => 'baz' ] When this parameter is set as 0, the ordered hash is dumped with a special key that specifies the order of keys. E.g.: { __order => [ 'A', 'B', 'C' ] , B => 'bar', A => 'foo', C => 'baz' } Methods dump_annotations_as_pod(...) Return a string formatted in pod (See perlpod) with the annotations. Parameters are: node Reference to a Config::Model::Node object. Mandatory experience master, advanced or beginner check_list Yes, no or skip AUTHOR
Dominique Dumont, (ddumont at cpan dot org) SEE ALSO
Config::Model,Config::Model::Node,Config::Model::ObjTreeScanner perl v5.14.2 2012-11-09 Config::Model::DumpAsData(3pm)