Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: filename with white space
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers filename with white space Post 302588662 by Corona688 on Monday 9th of January 2012 03:35:31 PM
Old 01-09-2012
*.* is a DOS thing, to specify all files in UNIX only * is necessary.

That's a useless use of ls * and useless use of backticks besides.

Do it without the ls and it works.

Code:
for FILE in *
do
        echo "File is $FILE"
done

Be careful to always quote the filename when you use it. mv $FILE destination/ will mess up when $FILE contains spaces, mv "$FILE" destination/ won't.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping white space...

Hi All; Having a problem with a file.. the file contains the following data... (a snapshot) 1331F9E9DB7C2BB80EAEDE3A8F043B94,AL7 1DZ,M,50 186FDF93E1303DBA217279EC3671EA91,NG5 1JU,M,24 3783FFAF602015056A8CD21104B1AAAF,CH42 4NQ,M,17 It has 3 columns sepreated by a , the second column... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Padding With White Space Between Variables

Dear Users, How do we pad with white space of particular length between two variables. For Example: Suppose i define the variables as follows: a='toyota' b='camry' c='honda' d='accord' e=`echo "$a"'\n'"$b"` f=`echo "$c"'\n'"$d"` If i do an echo on variables e and f i get :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED with White Space

Dear Members, Suppose i have a variable test which stores a string as below: test='John drives+++++++++a+++++car' now i want to use sed on the above variable and replace + with a white space, so that i get echo $test should give me 'john drives a car' Between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed + white space

Hi, What sed command (if sed is the right command) can remove ALL white space from my file. I have a csv, except I want to remove all white space between commas and characters. My idea (without testing) sed 's/ //g' Is there a better way? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete white space using sed

Hi , I have a file with contents as below group1 = aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc, aaa group2=aaa, bbbbb, ccccc, aaaaa group3 = bbbbb, aaa, ccccc, aaaaa group4 = bbbbb, aaa,ccccc, aaaaa I want to search for "aaa" and the output should be as below group1 = aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc group2= bbbbb, ccccc,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing white spaces in filename

Hi; In following code find LOG_DIR -type f | while read filename; do echo $filename; done I want to precede each white space encountered in filename with \ so that when i use $filename for running some commands in do...done,it wont give me an error. will appreciate ur help in this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Ignoring White Space with FS

I have an AWK script that uses multiple delimiters in the FS variable. FS="+" My awk script takes a file name such as this: 12345_smith_bubba_12345_20120215_4_0.pdf and parses it out based on the under score. Each parsed field then has some code for data validation etc. This script has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: reno4me
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove unwanted white space

Hi, I have a very big file 25GB with information present in it like $ head ind_stats update index statistics pfirm001.dbo.Office using 200 values go ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing white space in awk

Hi How to remove white space from this input:|blue | 1| |green| 4| |black| 2| I like to search for green and get 4not 4 How to modify this to work correct:awk -F"|" '/green/ {print $3} (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space

hi guys how can i add spacein file name with sed if strings have no space around dash input 19-20 ( 18-19 ) ABC-EFG output after add white space 19 - 20 (18 - 19 ) ABC - EFG thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhs
2 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.16.2 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)