Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax error piping to bc on command line - works when assigned to var Post 302588615 by jim mcnamara on Monday 9th of January 2012 12:58:00 PM
Old 01-09-2012
FWIW - awk was made precisley for what you are doing
Code:
getip test | awk '{sum += $1} END {print sum}'

By default awk does double precision arithmetic (floating point with 15 significant digits)
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script: piping passes command-line arguments

Dear forum I have the following small script: #!/bin/ksh echo -e "abba-o" | awk -F '-' '{ print $2 }' | cut -b 1It needs to be ksh.. in bash I don't have this problem. If I run this on opensuse 10.2 I get this as output: e If I run this on suse enterprise 10 sp2 then I get this: o ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gemtry
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Piping Mail with Exim Only Works Locally

Whenever I send an email to my catchall alias via SSH (i.e., locally), Exim successfully pipes the e-mail to a PHP script, as I told it to do. However, when I try to send an e-mail to my catchall alias via my e-mail client (i.e., remotely), Exim won't pipe the e-mail. Any ideas? My exim.conf... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zhay
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line not getting assigned in script.

I am running the following script and passing the following command line arguments : DBCheckSum_control CA_SITE CA_SITE Can someone please tell me, why my command line args are not being accepted and assigned to variable "TABLE_NAME'' and "ACTION_TYPE"?? usage() { print "Usage: ${0} {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script

Hey guys. Hopefully this is an easy one but having reference similar problems on the web I still can't fix it. I am doing a recursive find and replace from a script. Of course I could just run the damn thing from the command line but it's bugging me now and want to get it working. grep -rl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyjstewart
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function works, trigger causes syntax error, whats my fault??

Needing a hint. Creating that function called Meter my simple script works well. What I want now is to start the last four commented lines to include or trigger a reaction, if there are more than n lines in that .txt-file it shall display that message for example. But the interpreter says there is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Works on command line but not in script

OSX 10.9 I am building a script that evaluates the difference between 2 files. Here is a command that does not work transparently. Running this command in Terminal yields great results; however when I put that line in a .sh script, I get the errors shown below. Am I doing something silly? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL - quotes inside a string assigned to a var

I know that set line "This is a line." puts whats between " inside the var line. But How do I do the same for set line "This is a line "with quotations" inside the string." (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command assigned to a variable is failed or not having any data - error

Hi, My command is getting stuck while running it. observed that the grep command doesn't returned any data ($? was 1) and it failed. This command is assigned into the variable and used in other command as script progresses. To continue the script output, i have to press ^C twice and script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhii
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command works at command line but not from cron

Oracle Linux 6. Trying to set up a simple monitoring of memory usage. This command does exactly what I want at the command line: echo $(date +%Y-%m-%d" "%H:%M:%S) $(grep PageTables /proc/meminfo) >> /home/oracle/meminfo.logBut when I put it in my crontab: * * * * * echo $(date +%Y-%m-%d"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)