Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: expect in bash script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting expect in bash script Post 302588601 by js741 on Monday 9th of January 2012 12:07:30 PM
Old 01-09-2012
Thanks Corona! It isn't working, though- I need it to enter a yes/no only at certain, specific prompts. The script runs a series of programs that spit out thousands of lines onto the terminal- the yes/nos need to be sent at specific prompts. Sorry if I wasn't clear on this before. Can I still use printf to do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate to SLEEP for EXPECT within BASH script?

Fairly new to the System Admin world, and this is my first post here, hoping to get some clarification. I am using a BASH script to automate some Logfile Archiving (into .tars). The actual logfiles are accessed through an SSH, so I have used the following EXPECT sub-script within my main BASH... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goatfarmer03
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get this bash/expect script to run under a crontab

#!/bin/bash # # RAP configuration script # # Usage: ./rap.sh # # Requires: expect, tcl # # Script expects to find a file called rap.csv located in the same directory as the script. If the file is placed # in a different directory, modify the custom entries section to specify the absolute... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkool
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script called in loop from Bash Script

Having issues with an expect script. I've been scripting bash, python, etc... for a couple years now, but just started to try and use Expect. Trying to create a script that takes in some arguments, and then for now, just runs a pwd command(for testing, final will be command I pass). Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script: Send files to SFTP using Expect

I have to send few gzipped files from local server to SFTP server. My Server Info Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS Release: 12.04 Codename: precise Created a bash script and could able to send files to sftp, but i want to send email if transfer is successful. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Acces Variable from expect-Script in bash-Script

Hi all, I have a little problem with a expect in a bash Script. The hull of my script: #!/bin/sh ( expect -c ' set a \"eee\"; # the variable a ' ) echo $a; # using the variable out of the expect script I would like to use the variable out of the expect script(in bash),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandalfthepink
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

EXPECT Bash Script Error Control

Hello Geeks once more, Thanks for all the help you have been rendering.. I have a script that depends on the output of an expect statement but sometimes the main script misbehaves which I believe is a result of SSH communication error, how can I apply an error control to know whether the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect not working inside my Bash script

I am trying to execute expect command inside by small bash script to login into servers using key authentication method. My script is as follows: #!/bin/bash HOST=$1 /usr/bin/expect -c " spawn ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa root@$HOST expect -exact "Enter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Wilson
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password check in bash script calling on expect

password check in bash script calling on expect Background: I have to copy a file from one server, to over 100 servers in a test environment. once the file is copied, it requires to have the permissions on the file changed/verified. These are all linux servers. most of them have the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2legit2quit
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with expect

Dear all Hi I want use expect in bash so that we can not use these with each other /bin/bash. With. /usr/bin/expect How can use these with on script or how can call a script from other script #!/bin/bash clear echo "================================== " echo "Enter your Esxi IP"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baber
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script + expect

im very happy to back for this forum I have servers with alias of double dns extentions: sample: servera.test.com servera.test1.com serverb.test.com serverb.test1.com I need to login to that severs and executing the set of commands if test.com failed then try to login via... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash0106
0 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)