Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers renaming multiple files using sed or awk one liner Post 302588575 by pandeesh on Monday 9th of January 2012 10:57:36 AM
Old 01-09-2012
renaming multiple files using sed or awk one liner

hi,

I have a directory "test" under which there are 3 files a.txt,b.txt and c.txt.
I need to rename those files to a.pl,b.pl and c.pl respectively.
is it possible to achieve this in a sed or awk one liner?
i have searched but many of them are scripts.
I need to do this in a one liner.
I have tried this
Code:
ls *.txt|sed 's/*.txt/mv & &\.pl/'|sh

But its not working
Kindly help me

The below sed works fine:
Code:
ls *.txt|sed 's/\(.*\)txt/mv & \1pl/'|sh

Can anyone help me in awk oneliner?
Thanks

Last edited by pandeesh; 01-09-2012 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: got the solution in sed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/Sed One liner for text replacement

Hi group, I want to replace the occurance of a particular text in a paragraph.I tried with Sed,but Sed only displays the result on the screen.How can i update the changes in the original file??? The solution should be a one liner using awk and sed. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishnu.bhatta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple-line search and replace one-liner

Hi I am trying to search and replace a multi line pattern in a php file using awk. The pattern starts with <div id="navbar"> and ends with </div> and spans over an unknown number of lines. I need the command to be a one liner. I use the "record separator" like this : awk -v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Multiple search patterns & print in an one liner

I would like to print result of multiple search pattern invoked from an one liner. The code looks like this but won't work gawk -F '{{if ($0 ~ /pattern1/) pat1=$1 && if ($0 ~ /pattern2/) pat2=$2} ; print pat1, pat2}' Can anybody help getting the right code? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace regex Perl one liner to AWK one liner

Thanks for giving your time and effort to answer questions and helping newbies like me understand awk. I have a huge file, millions of lines, so perl takes quite a bit of time, I'd like to convert these perl one liners to awk. Basically I'd like all lines with ISA sandwiched between... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED | Awk flat file one liner

sed awk one liner (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jap2614
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove last 4 characters with non-unique pattern.

Hi, I'm writing a ksh script and trying to use an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove the last 4 characters of a line in a file if it begins with a period. Here is the contents of the file... the column in which I want to remove the last 4 characters is the last column. ($6 in awk). I've... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

One liner pattern search with awk/sed/grep

I have an array containing bunch of characters. I have to check this array for specific character and if "Not Found than" use a goto statement to go to USAGE set options = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#options}) if ($options != "F" || $options != "D") then goto USAGE endif @... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I do one liner import multiple custom .pm files in my perl script?

I am new for Perl I want to ask one question. I have around 50 custom packages which i am using in my Perl script. I want to import all .pm packages in my Perl script in an easy way. Right now i have to import each package individually. So Is there any way to do so?? Right Now i am doing like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk or sed one liner

I have a data base of part numbers: AAA Thing1 BBB Thing2 CCC Thing3 File one is a list of part numbers: XXXX AAA234 XXXX BBB678 XXXX CCC2345 Is there a sed one-line that would compare a data base with and replace the part numbers so that the output looks like this? XXXX AAA234... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
7 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)