Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: zero padding problem (bash)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting zero padding problem (bash) Post 302588532 by zaxxon on Monday 9th of January 2012 09:14:43 AM
Old 01-09-2012
Code:
$> read first
$>printf "%05d\n" $first

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Zero Padding to a string

I am writing a C program which a part of it needs to padding zero in front of a string. The program will get a sting from an ASCII file which the maxium length of this string is 5 char long. The string can sometimes less the 5 char long. In order to make it with the same length '0's are being... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Padding

Hi Can anyone tell me how to pad zeroes on the left side to a numeric string in unix shell scripting Your answer is very much appreciated Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaygopalsk
2 Replies

3. Programming

Padding variables

Is there a function in c that will allow me to pad variables? I have an int that can't be longer than 10. I need to pad a numeric value with leading zeros 314 0000000314 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flounder
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash typeset padding with zeros

Hi everybody, I have a question about typesetting. I originally wrote a script for use with ksh and now I am on a system that I cannot modify, and it only has bash. In the original script I just did typeset -RZ4 variable and it would add the leading zeros. In bash, it doesn't work. I've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwheeler
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding with zeros.

Hi Friends, I would like to left pad with "0's" on first column say (width six) I have a large file with the format: FILE: 1: ALFRED 84378 NY 8385: JAMES 88385 FL 323: SMITH 00850 TX My output needs to be like: 000001: ALFRED 84378 NY 008385: JAMES 88385 FL 000323: SMITH... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding leading zero

hi All i am new to linux... source txt .. 281-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 282-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 83-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 is it possible to use bash script to convert to (remove the "-" and fill up to 4 digit" ? 0281 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0282 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0083 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 thanks a ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoptimus
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash padding

Hi all Is there a way to pad the output of a bash script see that code below for i in `sed -n '/Start Printer/,/End Printer/p' /u/ab/scripts/hosts.conf | awk '!/^#/ {print $2}' | egrep -v 'broke|primera' `; do pages=`snmpget -Ov -v1 -c public $i sysLocation.0 | awk '{print $2}'` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to add padding to a bash shell script?

I'm grepping several lines and I want all of them to display with the same padding, is there a command to add whitespace before a line? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcnewton13
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort, sed, and zero padding date column csv bash scripting

Hello people, I am having problem to sort, sed and zero padding of column in csv file. 7th column only. Input of csv file: 1,2,3,4,5,6,4/1/2010 12:00 AM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,3/11/2010 9:39 AM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,5/12/2011 3:43 PM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,12/20/2009 7:23 PM,8 Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sean1357
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding a csv value with 0's

I have this csv file that I would like to sort on the 20th and 21st field. They are high lighted below. My challenge is that when I sort on those fields they are not in order as I would have liked. It seems like I have to pad those fields to the longest value in that fields data. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GroveTuckey
6 Replies
ppd_emit_to_file(3)					     Library Functions Manual					       ppd_emit_to_file(3)

NAME
ppd_emit_to_file, ppd_emit_to_fd - Output device specific code. SYNOPSIS
#include <ppd/ppd.h> gboolean ppd_emit( PpdFile * ppd,FILE *fp,PpdSectionOrder section ); gboolean ppd_emitfd( PpdFile * ppd, int fd,PpdSectionOrder section ); DESCRIPTION
The ppd_emit_* functions output the device specific code appropriate to the specified section that has not already been emitted.. The PpdFile pointer is obtained from opening a PPD file via the ppd_load(3) family of functions. The section can be any one of the following: PPD_ORDER_ANY Option code can be anywhere in the file PPD_ORDER_DOCUMENT Option code must be in the DocumentSetup section PPD_ORDER_EXIT Option code must be sent prior to the document PPD_ORDER_JCL Option code must be sent as a JCL command PPD_ORDER_PAGE Option code must be in the PageSetup section PPD_ORDER_PROLOG Option code must be in the Prolog section The sections PPD_ORDER_DOCUMENT and PPD_ORDER_PAGE will also output code from the PPD_ORDER_ANY section. Once a code section has been emitted it is marked as such and will not be emitted unless it is re-marked. EXAMPLE
/* Setup code to emitted */ ppd_mark_defaults(ppd); ppd_mark_option(ppd,"Duplex","DuplexNoTumble"); ppd_mark_option(ppd,"PageSize","A4"); /* Emit initial code (including any reset and JCL code) */ ppd_emit_to_file(ppd,stdout,PPD_ORDER_EXIT); fputs(ppd->jcl_begin->str,stdout); ppd_emit_to_file(ppd, stdout, PPD_ORDER_JCL); fputs(ppd->jcl_ps->str, stdout); /* Any header comments go here */ ... /* Prolog section */ printf("%%%%BeginProlog0); ppd_emit_to_file(ppd, stdout, PPD_ORDER_PROLOG); printf("%%%%EndProlog0); /* Setup section */ printf("%%%%BeginSetup0); ppd_emit_to_file(ppd, stdout, PPD_ORDER_DOCUMENT); printf("%%%%EndSetup0); /* Main document begins */ for (...) { printf("%%%%Page: 1 10); /* Re-mark so that this is emitted on each page */ ppd_mark_option(ppd,"PageSize","A4"); printf("%%%%PageSetup0); ppd_emit_to_file(ppd, stdout, PPD_ORDER_PAGE); printf("%%%%EndPageSetup0); /* Page info goes here */ ... } /* Send ending JCL code */ fputs(ppd->jcl_end->str,stdout); SEE ALSO
ppd_file_new(3), ppd_file_free(3) ppd_emit_to_file(3)