Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Running Scripts With Parameters with sudo Post 302588479 by cyphex on Monday 9th of January 2012 05:13:19 AM
Old 01-09-2012
Running Scripts With Parameters with sudo

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community so please bear with me if my terminology is not correct...

I'm trying to configure /etc/sudoers so a specific user can run a script as root.

My problem is I want to lock down what parameters the user can run the script against. The script in question accepts another file as its parameter

e.g. /scripts/myscript.ksh /root/config-files/fileA.cfg

I want userA to be able to run the above script as root but only run it using a specific file/parameter.
e.g. $ sudo '/scripts/myscript.ksh <parameter_1>'

Is this possible? Everything i've tried thus far I get syntax errors in the sudoers file.
I've managed to find a workaround which is using a wrapper script that specifies the scirpt and parameter in question.
This is not ideal though as I will need to create a wrapper script for every possible parameter.

Infact i'd like to go one step further. Ideally, i'd like sudoers to only allow userA to run this script with files/parameters that are located within /root/config-files/*

Just allowing the user to run the script and use any config file would be a security hole. i.e. user could create config file in /tmp then execute script with that file to cause damage.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Smilie

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[/bin/sh] passing parameters with quotes between 2 scripts

Hi, I have a first shell script (/bin/sh) that receives some paremeters. This is only an example (there are more parameters in fact and this one is among them): -header "This is a test" This script calls a secund shell script (/bin/sh) with the same parameters. But, quotes disappear as I would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: velo_love
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sudo in shell scripts

hi, I have a script abc in a machine xyz. which i can access by sudo su - user. that is i can login to xyz using my id and then switch to user and run the script. Now what i need to do is run the script from another script in machine xyz1. From xyz1 i can ssh to xyz using my id. Some one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

4. Solaris

cron jobs not running from sudo

Hi, I am logging into sun solaris unix box as asood user.Then sudo su_appssu and scheduled my cron jobs.The user appssu is there In the /etc/cron.d/cron.allow . I do not understand why the jobs are not kicking by cron. Do I need to enter directly as appssu ? Regards Megh (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use of grep with multiple parameters in shell scripts

I am learning how to write shell scripts and have come across an issue. I'm trying to write a script that looks for a directory called public_html, and if it finds one, to print the number of lines that contain applet tags (containing '<applet') in all files that end in either .html or .htm that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: feverdream
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameters from perl to csh scripts

I use csh a lot but I don't really write csh scripts. Now I have a need to implement a security check (written in perl; verify an user input security code) into a csh script. Here is the senario: #csh 1. call the perl script 2. if the perl script returns 'true', pass on; if the perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Julian16
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo scripts conundrum

hello; Got a problem running monitoring scripts using sudo ssh.. Mgmt decided to take away root sudoers access.. so most of the scripts ran as: sudo ssh $BOX ... Now I need to run them as: echo $my_pw | sudo -S -l my_user_id $BOX ... I tried this but not working.. Any wisdom/tricks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem connect to a different server then do sudo login and finally run some scripts and get result

I have to write a shell script in my current linux server and I have to connect to a different server then do sudo login and finally run some scripts residing in a particular directory and get results back. I am starting to write my shell script as below but after I do ssh login it prompts for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo ssh with command running in background

I am trying to run a command. This is one of my attempts: for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo ls /';doneThis works, and I see the directories. However, what I want to do now is start a process on the remote server such as /usr/bin/connectproc -standalonesudo /usr/bin/connectproc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters with spaces between scripts

I have 2 scripts. test.sh, which calls submit2.sh. One of the parameters contains space and is quoted. ((((./submit2.sh Group_1_2_AMS_DAILY_CORE_GRP03 AMS AMS_D 'DAILY REPORT PROCEDURES'; echo $?>&3) | tee 1.log >&4)3>&1) | (read xs; exit $xs)) 4>&1 echo parm 1 = $1 echo parm 2 = $2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyclam
1 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)