Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing part of XML code inside comment tags Post 302588293 by prism1 on Sunday 8th of January 2012 05:43:18 AM
Old 01-08-2012
Replacing part of XML code inside comment tags

Hello!
I'd like to modify custom values in a XML config file between comment tags using bash script.
Code:
<feature>
  <keyboardshortcut>C-m</keyboardshortcut>
  <option1>disabled</option2>
  <option2>enabled</option2>
</feature>
<!-- bash script features START -->
<feature>
  <keyboardshortcut>C-f</keyboardshortcut>
  <option1>enabled</option2>
  <option2>disabled</option2>
</feature>
<feature>
  <keyboardshortcut>C-g</keyboardshortcut>
  <option1>enabled</option2>
  <option2>enabled</option2>
</feature>
<!-- bash script features END -->

I want to modify the child elements' values of "feature"s between both comment tags. Use sed or is it doable with something like xmlstarlet?

Thanks in advance!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment out a cron job as part of a script

Greetings, I am creating a ksh script to automate the installation of a utility on many servers. As part of this install, I want to check for a job in root's crontab. If the job exists, I need to comment it out. I know I will need to copy off the crontab then read it back in, but I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get rid of xml comment by grep or sed

Hi, I would like to get rid of all comment in an xml file by grep or sed command: The content seem like this: <!-- ab cd ef gh ij kl --> Anyone can help? Thanks and Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RonLii
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SED to comment XML elements

I'm trying to write a script to help automate some VERY tedious manual tasks. I have groups of fairly large XML files (~3mb+) that I need to edit. I need to look through the files and parse the XML looking for a certain flag contained in a field. If I find this flag (an integer value) I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Hon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing some part of file

Hello, I have two files, consider that as file1 and file2. Here file1 is the master file. file1 will contain data like GS*RA*071000013*102562451P*091130*0520*334052023*X*003050 ST*820*334052023 BPR*C*509.77*C*ACH*CTX*01*071000013*DA*5529085*9000002008**01*071000013*DA*5529085*091130... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: atlantis
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the last record in xml with different tags

I have special requirement, my system provided the xml file as below(available xml file) and I need to convert it as below desired xml file. is it possible thru shell scripts or awk? What I need is : my available xml contains number of records with tags <RevenueAmounts>, the last of record is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to put block comment after finding regex in xml file

hi, i need my bash script to find regex in xml file.. and comment 2 lines before and after the line that contains regex.. can't use # needs to be <!-- at the beginning and --> and the end of the comment. so eg.. first block <filter> <filter-name>MyRegEx</filter-name> ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poki
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing number between xml tags with ksh shell script

Hallo, im basically a complete noob on shell scripting and im trying to replace or rather add 1 to a number between xml tags. The xml basically has a tag somewhere that looks like this: <tag>12345678901234</tag> Now i want to replace the number between the tags. And i want the file to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demoric
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting a block of code in xml where the tags may be similar

I want to comment a block of code in xml. Note that the tags will be similar. In the below xml code, I want to block the listener block for com.pkg1.class2. How do i do it ? Thanks in Advance <listener> <listener-class>com.pkg1.class1</listener-class> </listener> ......... <listener>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshmikumari
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of filename

Hi guys! I have quite a lot of files like all_10001_ct1212307460308.alf* and I want to get rid of the first number for all at once like: all_ct1212307460308.alf* How can I do this in the shell? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimmyTiz
12 Replies
BufferText(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   BufferText(3pm)

NAME
XML::Filter::BufferText - Filter to put all characters() in one event SYNOPSIS
my $h = SomeHandler->new; my $f = XML::Filter::BufferText->new( Handler => $h ); my $p = SomeParser->new( Handler => $f ); $p->parse; DESCRIPTION
This is a very simple filter. One common cause of grief (and programmer error) is that XML parsers aren't required to provide character events in one chunk. They can, but are not forced to, and most don't. This filter does the trivial but oft-repeated task of putting all characters into a single event. Note that this won't help you cases such as: <foo> blah <!-- comment --> phubar </foo> In the above case, given the interleaving comment, there will be two "character()" events. This may be worked around in the future if there is demand for it. An interesting way to use this filter, instead of telling users to use it, is to return it from your handler's constructor, already configured and all. That'll make the buffering totally transparent to them ("XML::SAX::Writer" does that). AUTHOR
Robin Berjon, robin@knowscape.com COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2001-2002 Robin Berjon. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
XML::SAX::*, XML::Generator::*, XML::Handler::*, XML::Filter::* perl v5.10.0 2003-07-04 BufferText(3pm)