Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run command in background thru script Post 302588144 by Deei on Saturday 7th of January 2012 02:04:21 AM
Old 01-07-2012
Run command in background thru script

Dear All,

Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished.

I have tried like below,

`truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &`

But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script at background

Hi all, I have a script like: echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat $listn.txt` do send_file $file done normally, I will run the script like: :. resendfile Please input list filename: list1 #Then, the script will resend all file from the list1. However,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set schedule to run a script at background while logout

Hi, How can I run a script at 9:00am and 6:00pm everyday? Can I run it at background while I logout my account? Please help!! Many Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there away to run script in background within the script

Hello all i have csh script called test.csh , and i need to run it in the background so i do : test.csh & but i wander can i tell within the script source to run it in the background automatically , without giving the user to add the "&" when executing in the shell ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Best practice to run bash script in background

nohup /bin/bassh $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & nohup $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & Which is the good practice to run a script in background of above two ? does the first one will have any overhead on the system ? our system is SunOS 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmasals
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script in the background with a time interval

I have a script I want to run in the background, and I have looked it up but I am not exactly sure how to do. First of all to run it in the background do you have to put something in the script or is it just a command when you go to run it. I found this solution to it but once again I am not to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauler123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script does not work if run in background

Dear All, I am trying to run a script in background like ./scriptname.sh & but when i try to run it in background it is giving me an error "syntax error at line 12: `(' unexpected" at the line 12, there is a function definition "function getFileList()". This script runs fine if i run on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run the script in background, but having a problem

hi, we have a script which runs for the whole day and whenever the job fails, will send an alert to the mailbox. My problem here is that i need to give the jobname dynamically which is not possible if we run the script in background. Pls help me with this. Thanks Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies
TRUSS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TRUSS(1)

NAME
truss -- trace system calls SYNOPSIS
truss [-facedDS] [-o file] [-s strsize] -p pid truss [-facedDS] [-o file] [-s strsize] command [args] DESCRIPTION
The truss utility traces the system calls called by the specified process or program. Output is to the specified output file, or standard error by default. It does this by stopping and restarting the process being monitored via ptrace(2). The options are as follows: -f Trace descendants of the original traced process created by fork(2), vfork(2), etc. -a Show the argument strings that are passed in each execve(2) system call. -c Do not display individual system calls. Instead, before exiting, print a summary containing for each system call: the total system time used, the number of times the call was invoked, and the number of times the call returned with an error. -e Show the environment strings that are passed in each execve(2) system call. -d Include timestamps in the output showing the time elapsed since the trace was started. -D Include timestamps in the output showing the time elapsed since the last recorded event. -S Do not display information about signals received by the process. (Normally, truss displays signal as well as system call events.) -o file Print the output to the specified file instead of standard error. -s strsize Display strings using at most strsize characters. If the buffer is larger, ``...'' will be displayed at the end of the string. The default strsize is 32. -p pid Follow the process specified by pid instead of a new command. command [args] Execute command and trace the system calls of it. (The -p and command options are mutually exclusive.) EXAMPLES
# Follow the system calls used in echoing "hello" $ truss /bin/echo hello # Do the same, but put the output into a file $ truss -o /tmp/truss.out /bin/echo hello # Follow an already-running process $ truss -p 34 SEE ALSO
kdump(1), ktrace(1), ptrace(2) HISTORY
The truss command was written by Sean Eric Fagan for FreeBSD. It was modeled after similar commands available for System V Release 4 and SunOS. BSD
May 12, 2009 BSD