Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting The "read" command misinterprets file names containing spaces Post 302588142 by ahamed101 on Saturday 7th of January 2012 01:41:53 AM
Old 01-07-2012
Try this... Enter the file names separated by , (comma)

Code:
#!/bin/bash

read -p "Enter Files: " line

OLD_IFS=IFS
IFS=,

for i in $line
do
        echo $i
done

IFS=$OLD_IFS

Code:

ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    7 2012-01-07 12:09 a b
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    8 2012-01-07 12:11 c d

root@bt > ./run
Enter Files : a b,c d
a b
c d

HTH
--ahamed

Last edited by ahamed101; 01-07-2012 at 02:50 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a list of dynamic names to a "PS" command in shell script?

Hi, I am new to shell script. This is my first post .I have written a small script which returns list of names starts with "ram" in /etc/passwd .Here is that:- #!/bin/ksh NAME_LIST="name_list.txt" cat /dev/null > $NAME_LIST evalcmd="cat /etc/passwd | grep "^ram?*" | cut -d: -f1" eval... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.tendulka
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to read a line with spaces bet " " and write to a file

Hi, I need a command in UNIX KSH below is the description... MAPPING DESCRIPTION ="Test Mapping for the calid inputs" ISVALID ="YES" NAME ="m_test_xml" OBJECTVERSION ="1" VERSIONNUMBER ="1" unix ksh command to read the DESCRIPTION and write to a file Test Mapping for the calid inputs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perlamohan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"read" command ignoring leading spaces

I have to read a file line by line, change it and then update the file. Problem is, when i read the file, "read" command ignores leading spaces. The file is a script which is indented in many places for clarity. How to i make "read" command read leading spaces as well. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file names and select correct elements to include in "for each loop"

Hi everyone, I`ll try to be most clear I can explaining my help request. I have 2 folders Folder A-->This folder receives files through FTP constantly Folder B-->The files from Folder A are unzipped and then processed in Folder B Sometimes Folder A doesn`t contain all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
cdsclerk(1m)															      cdsclerk(1m)

NAME
cdsclerk - Manages the interface between clients and the CDS server SYNOPSIS
cdsclerk [-D] [-w route] OPTIONS
For debugging use only. Causes the cdsadv clerk process not to fork. Routes serviceability messages. DESCRIPTION
The cdsclerk command manages the interface between clients and the CDS server. Privilege Required You must log in as superuser (root). NOTES
This command is used by the advertiser on the system where the CDS clerk is running. You should use this command interactively only to do diagnostic work on the host system. EXAMPLE
Before you run the following process, make sure that other clerks are not running. To start the cdsclerk process, follow these steps: Make sure that a CDS server is already running somewhere within the cell. Log in to the system as superuser (root). Log in to DCE as the machine principal of the local host. Enter the principal name in the format /hosts/hostname/self as shown in the following example command for a host named orion whose password is smith: # dce_login hosts/orion/self smith Enter the following command to see if the dced process is already running: # ps If the dced process appears on the list of active processes, proceed to step 5. If the dced process does not appear on the list of active processes, enter the following command to start the process: # dced Enter the following command to start the cdsadv process: # cdsadv Enter the following command with the appropriate arguments to start the cdsclerk process: # cdsclerk RELATED INFORMATION
Books: OSF DCE Administration Guide cdsclerk(1m)