Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: regarding logs
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers regarding logs Post 302588130 by KAREENA18 on Friday 6th of January 2012 11:26:04 PM
Old 01-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by curleb
So you want to establish a full read on a file, while other threads may still be writing to it?

The tail -f command will only start from a set distance of the original file, and then page down from there, skipping the first part of the file. You could use a pager utility like 'less' (or 'less -N' for line numbers) and then optionally force your way downward via [Ctrl]+G (it uses vi commands). It also lets you jump all the way back to the first line...

Thanks, please could you also tell the commands..!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Logs

hi My name is Juan I dont can clear wtmp and similiar files how i do it? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtapia
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logs

can i include this command into my crontab file > /var/adm/wtmp to clear the contents on a regular basis ? what about file permissions ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logs

Hey Guys, i am new into shell programming and i have to do one script which have to record all the commands entered by a specific user. Example of that, i have a system running on unix, several users are using this system, i have to create like a databse which will record every user entered that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logs

Hy, I have a question I have a directory in a unix server, Some of my files have a diffrent access time, from the time i accessed them last, I think some one has copied it,it's not an important file,but none the less,it is my file,It mistakenly had a 777 permission( yes ,I know it is a noob's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lordmod
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering the logs

Hi, We are using rsync for syncing remote directories. It is working great along with detailed logs. As the script cron'd and most of the times there're no files to sync we are getting lot of unnecessary log entries and we need to filter them to show only the log entries for the files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to trace the logs

Hi, Last day, In one of our unix boxes there was an issue wherein few of the directory structures were missing / got deleted. Is there any way by which we can find how it happened, I mean by going through syslog / which user had run what command? Thanks for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX LOGS Files

hello, i just want to know logs files for these actions listed below : - User Account Creation - User Account Deletion - Failed and or Successful User Password Changes - Failed Login Activities for all User Users - System Reboot or and shutdown help appreciated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bolou
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logs do not rotate

My problem: Both access and error logs do not rotate any more and get really large. They are located here: /srv/www/+vHost name here+/logs/ Configuration seems to be here: /etc/logrotate.conf => looks OK, including "size 10M" to avoid large files (/etc/logrotate.d => is empty) manually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: floko
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
totem(1)						      General Commands Manual							  totem(1)

NAME
Totem - GNOME desktop movie player based on GStreamer SYNOPSIS
totem [option...] [filenames|URI] DESCRIPTION
Totem is a movie player for the GNOME desktop. Through use of the GStreamer backend many popular file and streaming formats are supported including: MPEG audio and video (MP3/MPV), Ogg, AVI, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, and more. Playing of DVD and VCD media is also possible. Although primarily intended as a movie player, Totem can also play many audio formats. For additional documentation on interactive use of Totem select the Help menu option. The menus allow access to some features not avail- able through keybindings or command-line options. OPTIONS
-?, --help Output a longer help message then quit. (Any discrepancies between this man page and the output of totem --help should be reported as a documentation bug.) --version Output version information then quit. The following options command an already-running instance of Totem to do something; they are useful for remote-control scripting. If Totem is not already running, these commands will launch a new instance of Totem but will not do anything further. --play-pause Tell an already-running instance of Totem to toggle between play and pause. --play Tell an already-running instance of Totem to play (has no effect if already playing) --pause Tell an already-running instance of Totem to pause (has no effect if already paused) --next Tell an already-running instance of Totem to skip to the next movie or chapter in the playlist. --previous Tell an already-running instance of Totem to return to the previous movie or chapter in the playlist. --seek-fwd Tell an already-running instance of Totem to seek forwards 15 seconds in the current movie. --seek-bwd Tell an already-running instance of Totem to seek backwards 15 seconds in the current movie. --volume-up Tell an already-running instance of Totem to raise the volume by 8%. --volume-down Tell an already-running instance of Totem to lower the volume by 8%. --fullscreen Tell an already-running instance of Totem to toggle fullscreen mode. --toggle-controls Tell an already-running instance of Totem to toggle showing the controls. --quit Tell an already-running instance of Totem to quit. --enqueue filename|URI Tell an already-running instance of Totem to add a new stream to the playlist. --replace filename|URI Tell an already-running instance of Totem to play from the playlist. KEYBINDINGS
Global keybindings for Totem: i toggle interlacing on and off a cycle between aspect ratios p toggle between play and pause Esc exit full screen mode f toggle full screen h toggle display of on-screen controls 0 resize window to 50% original size 1 resize window to 100% original size 2 resize window to 200% original size r zoom in the video t zoom out the video d start and stop the telestrator (drawing) mode e erase the drawing Left-arrow skip back 15 seconds Right-arrow skip forward 60 seconds Shift+Left-arrow skip back 5 seconds Shift+Right-arrow skip forward 15 seconds Ctrl+Left-arrow skip back 3 minutes Ctrl+Right arrow skip forward 10 minutes Up-arrow increase volume by 8% Down-arrow decrease volume by 8% b jump back to previous chapter/movie in playlist n jump to next chapter/movie in playlist q quit Ctrl+E eject the playing optical media Ctrl+O open a new file Ctrl+L open a new URI F9 toggle display of the playlist m show the DVD menu c show the DVD chapter menu FILES
/usr/lib/totem/plugins/ The global plugins directory, which contains all the system-installed plugins. ~/.local/share/totem/plugins/ The user plugins directory, containing plugins available only to that user. It is always in the "totem/plugins" subdirectory of your XDG_DATA_HOME directory. ~/.config/totem/state.ini The configuration file for the main window's appearance, stored in a simple INI format. BUGS
Totem cannot play files using some proprietary codecs. AUTHOR
Totem was written by Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>. This manual page was written by Andre Lehovich for the Debian Project. DISTRIBUTION
The latest version of Totem may be downloaded from <http://projects.gnome.org/totem/> <http://projects.gnome.org/totem/> SEE ALSO
totem-video-thumbnailer(1), The online documentation available through the program's Help menu. GNOME
2008-08-25 totem(1)