Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Remove lines if the first character is "|" Post 302588118 by pkiula on Friday 6th of January 2012 07:46:55 PM
Old 01-06-2012
Remove lines if the first character is "|"

Hi.

I have a huge file (350 million lines).
I need to delete all lines in it that:

1. Begin with a pipe character -- '|'
2. Or have less than 5 pipe characters in the line

Have been searching for some SED/AWK help for this (which is faster btw on such a ginormous file?) but only found this, but this works with a number not a pipe character.

PHP Code:
On this website
 /
unix-advanced-expert-users/160025-deleting-lines-if-ith-character-x.html 

Much appreciate any pointers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending character "0" in vi editor for all lines between 1 and 40.

I have to append character "0" for lines between 1 and 40 in a file. I tried the following code. :s/^0,1,40/g Input: Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove ":" and join lines in outline file

I have a vim outliner file like this: Title title 2 :Testing now :testing 2 :testing 3 title 3 :testing :ttt :ttg Is there a way to use a script or command to remove... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jostber
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove word after special character "/"

Hi There, I have one requirement to remove word after character "/". Input file is 2017-07-12|02|user1l|domain1/userl|0 2017-07-12|02|user2|domain1/user2|5 2017-07-12|02|user3|domain2/user3|0 2017-07-12|02|user4|domain1/user4|432 and require OP file is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove a word that ends with special character "!"

Hi all. I want to use sed to remove a word that ends with "!" in the first page of a file. The word I want to remove is: "DNA!". I have search for an answer and nothing of what I found helped me. ~faizlo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
2 Replies
MB_STRRPOS(3)								 1							     MB_STRRPOS(3)

mb_strrpos - Find position of last occurrence of a string in a string

SYNOPSIS
int mb_strrpos (string $haystack, string $needle, [int $offset], [string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
Performs a multibyte safe strrpos(3) operation based on the number of characters. $needle position is counted from the beginning of $haystack. First character's position is 0. Second character position is 1. PARAMETERS
o $haystack - The string being checked, for the last occurrence of $needle o $needle - The string to find in $haystack. o $offset - May be specified to begin searching an arbitrary number of characters into the string. Negative values will stop searching at an arbitrary point prior to the end of the string. o $encoding -The $encoding parameter is the character encoding. If it is omitted, the internal character encoding value will be used. RETURN VALUES
Returns the numeric position of the last occurrence of $needle in the $haystack string. If $needle is not found, it returns FALSE. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------+ | 5.2.0 | | | | | | | Added the optional parameter $offset. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------+ NOTES
Note The $encoding parameter was moved from the third position to the fourth in PHP 5.2.0. For backward compatibility, $encoding can be specified as the third parameter, but doing so is deprecated and will be removed in the future. SEE ALSO
mb_strpos(3), mb_internal_encoding(3), strrpos(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_STRRPOS(3)