Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add new line before specific character Post 302587958 by Corona688 on Friday 6th of January 2012 11:32:21 AM
Old 01-06-2012
What about it? My code, both versions, handled that already.

It adds a newline whenever it sees the letter A-D immediately followed by a space. It also adds a newline whenever it sees A-D immediately followed by a digit.

[edit] Oh, I see, you want to exclude that B117. Hmm.

---------- Post updated at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:26 AM ----------

Code:
sed 's/\([A-D]\) /\n\1/g;s/B02/\nB02/g'

Whenever it sees A-D followed by a space, it changes that to newline A-D.

Whenever it sees B02, it changes it to \nNB02.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract character between specific line numbers

Hi guys, I have txt file and I would need to extract all the contents between specific line numbers. Line 1: apple Line 2: orange Line 3: mango Line 4: grapes Line 5: pine apple I need to extract the content between line 2 and 4, including the contents of Line 2 and 4 so the ouput... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

new line after specific number character

Hi All, I have input file like this: input1: ( 1083479)=T 158V 1798, T 391V 1896,T 1138V 2273,T 1547V 2477,T 2249V 2917,T 3278V 3234,T 4152V 3495,T 5500V 3631, ( 1083501)=T 181V 1851, T 459V 1954,T 810V 2141,T 1188V 2372,T 1638V 2696,T 2731V 3124,T 4799V 3640,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line with specific character

HI Input :- Aog:0rt__dev_8 LAAXU24 vs.3 LAA40l0 ** LAAXU241 ** Output :- Aog:0rt__dev_8 LAAXU24 vs.3 Delete the line with ** (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script where it should insert character 'I' in 180th position of each line(except first and last line) of the file. Below is the script for file in /home/test/bharat/*.RET do # Process file echo "File Name=" $file #l_fileName="${file##*/}" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert new line after a specific character in scripts?

Hi, I'm trying to add a new line after finding a specific String. That is my string: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html and I want to change that file to: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html extra_hosts: -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siamak
4 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)