Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem with timely execution of threads... Post 302587938 by Corona688 on Friday 6th of January 2012 10:33:31 AM
Old 01-06-2012
If you put your ASCII art inside
Code:
code tags

it will come out like you were expecting.

Unless you've got enough cores to have one free for each and every individual client, they literally can't execute simultaneously. By necessity, they take turns. Hopefully that doesn't matter to you.

I presume you're making the threads wait with something like usleep() ? Remember that sleep, usleep, etc may wait more or less time than you were expecting -- and that sleeping two minutes won't make you run every 2 minutes, since the rest your code takes a little time to run too. You should check gettimeofday() to see how long you need to rest. You should also give each thread an identical starting number to measure against, so they're all aiming for the same 2-minute mark.

A better way to do this would be for the app server to signal your clients with a mutex, semaphore, cond, or the like every time two minutes, and have the server tell them when they were supposed to have been woken up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl v5.8.5 Threads Problem

Hi Unix gurus, I am facing a threading problem in Perl. I have a worker thread in perl in which I am calling a shell script. The shell script echo's output to the Standard Output from time to time as it progresses. In the worker thread, I am unable to display the echo statement of shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

%Internal DCE Threads problem (version CMA BL10+)

Hi, I have a module by the name gateway, and it core dumps and gives a cma_dump.log file which says: %Internal DCE Threads problem (version CMA BL10+), terminating execution. % Reason: dispatch: no available VP (uniprocessor) The current thread is 3 (address 0x40107c40) DECthreads... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanz
0 Replies

3. Programming

problem with threads in C

I have problem that if I create for example 100 threads program work correctly but if I define more threads for example 1000 // if I change static int NUM_E from 100 to 1000 than program stop about 350 threads and doesn't continue where should be problem please? #include <pthread.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sevco777
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execution problem

Hi i am using expect module and trying to login using following code. ssh 127.0.0.1 expect "word:" send "$password \n" kindly let me know the login script using expect module (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esumiba
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execution problem

Hi i have a file in which there are three fields code: 919804199233 404911130003916 357266044991350F and now i want to add two more fields i.e. code: 919804199233 404911130003916 357266044991350F ms 123 how can i do it using command line and if have a file of 100... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execution problem

Hi I am automating my few commands out of which one command is tail -f running.logs when i run this command it does not automatically exit and show prompt (#) what would i do so that it will exit out automatically after few seconds and move to the next command without using ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execution problem

HI I am trying to check the status of port using command /code: netstat -an | grep port /Output: *.2009 *.* 0 0 65535 0 LISTEN what i am trying to do is i want to grep only status Wether the port is established/listen if so show ok else... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem

hi all, when i tried executing the script by giving following command $ sh test.sh <parameter> it shows the following output: <none> status code=0 Previously it was working fine.But now its showing this output. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay mn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem

Hi, I have been trying to run a simple script CONFIG_FILE="/jay/check" . . . for i in `cat $CONFIG_FILE` do loc=`echo $i | cut -d "|" -f2` var=$(find $loc -mtime -1|wc -l) if then echo $loc has files older than 1 day fi done . . . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayii
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed: script for timely average from log file

Please repost your query: Help needed: script for timely average from log file - Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkfs
0 Replies
PTHREAD_COND(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   PTHREAD_COND(3)

NAME
pthread_cond_init, pthread_cond_destroy, pthread_cond_signal, pthread_cond_broadcast, pthread_cond_wait, pthread_cond_timedwait - opera- tions on conditions SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> pthread_cond_t cond = PTHREAD_COND_INITIALIZER; int pthread_cond_init(pthread_cond_t *cond, pthread_condattr_t *cond_attr); int pthread_cond_signal(pthread_cond_t *cond); int pthread_cond_broadcast(pthread_cond_t *cond); int pthread_cond_wait(pthread_cond_t *cond, pthread_mutex_t *mutex); int pthread_cond_timedwait(pthread_cond_t *cond, pthread_mutex_t *mutex, const struct timespec *abstime); int pthread_cond_destroy(pthread_cond_t *cond); DESCRIPTION
A condition (short for ``condition variable'') is a synchronization device that allows threads to suspend execution and relinquish the pro- cessors until some predicate on shared data is satisfied. The basic operations on conditions are: signal the condition (when the predicate becomes true), and wait for the condition, suspending the thread execution until another thread signals the condition. A condition variable must always be associated with a mutex, to avoid the race condition where a thread prepares to wait on a condition variable and another thread signals the condition just before the first thread actually waits on it. pthread_cond_init initializes the condition variable cond, using the condition attributes specified in cond_attr, or default attributes if cond_attr is NULL. The LinuxThreads implementation supports no attributes for conditions, hence the cond_attr parameter is actually ignored. Variables of type pthread_cond_t can also be initialized statically, using the constant PTHREAD_COND_INITIALIZER. pthread_cond_signal restarts one of the threads that are waiting on the condition variable cond. If no threads are waiting on cond, nothing happens. If several threads are waiting on cond, exactly one is restarted, but it is not specified which. pthread_cond_broadcast restarts all the threads that are waiting on the condition variable cond. Nothing happens if no threads are waiting on cond. pthread_cond_wait atomically unlocks the mutex (as per pthread_unlock_mutex) and waits for the condition variable cond to be signaled. The thread execution is suspended and does not consume any CPU time until the condition variable is signaled. The mutex must be locked by the calling thread on entrance to pthread_cond_wait. Before returning to the calling thread, pthread_cond_wait re-acquires mutex (as per pthread_lock_mutex). Unlocking the mutex and suspending on the condition variable is done atomically. Thus, if all threads always acquire the mutex before sig- naling the condition, this guarantees that the condition cannot be signaled (and thus ignored) between the time a thread locks the mutex and the time it waits on the condition variable. pthread_cond_timedwait atomically unlocks mutex and waits on cond, as pthread_cond_wait does, but it also bounds the duration of the wait. If cond has not been signaled within the amount of time specified by abstime, the mutex mutex is re-acquired and pthread_cond_timedwait returns the error ETIMEDOUT. The abstime parameter specifies an absolute time, with the same origin as time(2) and gettimeofday(2): an abstime of 0 corresponds to 00:00:00 GMT, January 1, 1970. pthread_cond_destroy destroys a condition variable, freeing the resources it might hold. No threads must be waiting on the condition vari- able on entrance to pthread_cond_destroy. In the LinuxThreads implementation, no resources are associated with condition variables, thus pthread_cond_destroy actually does nothing except checking that the condition has no waiting threads. CANCELLATION
pthread_cond_wait and pthread_cond_timedwait are cancellation points. If a thread is cancelled while suspended in one of these functions, the thread immediately resumes execution, then locks again the mutex argument to pthread_cond_wait and pthread_cond_timedwait, and finally executes the cancellation. Consequently, cleanup handlers are assured that mutex is locked when they are called. ASYNC-SIGNAL SAFETY The condition functions are not async-signal safe, and should not be called from a signal handler. In particular, calling pthread_cond_sig- nal or pthread_cond_broadcast from a signal handler may deadlock the calling thread. RETURN VALUE
All condition variable functions return 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
pthread_cond_init, pthread_cond_signal, pthread_cond_broadcast, and pthread_cond_wait never return an error code. The pthread_cond_timedwait function returns the following error codes on error: ETIMEDOUT the condition variable was not signaled until the timeout specified by abstime EINTR pthread_cond_timedwait was interrupted by a signal The pthread_cond_destroy function returns the following error code on error: EBUSY some threads are currently waiting on cond. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
pthread_condattr_init(3), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3), gettimeofday(2), nanosleep(2). EXAMPLE
Consider two shared variables x and y, protected by the mutex mut, and a condition variable cond that is to be signaled whenever x becomes greater than y. int x,y; pthread_mutex_t mut = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER; pthread_cond_t cond = PTHREAD_COND_INITIALIZER; Waiting until x is greater than y is performed as follows: pthread_mutex_lock(&mut); while (x <= y) { pthread_cond_wait(&cond, &mut); } /* operate on x and y */ pthread_mutex_unlock(&mut); Modifications on x and y that may cause x to become greater than y should signal the condition if needed: pthread_mutex_lock(&mut); /* modify x and y */ if (x > y) pthread_cond_broadcast(&cond); pthread_mutex_unlock(&mut); If it can be proved that at most one waiting thread needs to be waken up (for instance, if there are only two threads communicating through x and y), pthread_cond_signal can be used as a slightly more efficient alternative to pthread_cond_broadcast. In doubt, use pthread_cond_broadcast. To wait for x to becomes greater than y with a timeout of 5 seconds, do: struct timeval now; struct timespec timeout; int retcode; pthread_mutex_lock(&mut); gettimeofday(&now); timeout.tv_sec = now.tv_sec + 5; timeout.tv_nsec = now.tv_usec * 1000; retcode = 0; while (x <= y && retcode != ETIMEDOUT) { retcode = pthread_cond_timedwait(&cond, &mut, &timeout); } if (retcode == ETIMEDOUT) { /* timeout occurred */ } else { /* operate on x and y */ } pthread_mutex_unlock(&mut); LinuxThreads PTHREAD_COND(3)