Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting difference in the two test operators Post 302587862 by methyl on Friday 6th of January 2012 06:05:20 AM
Old 01-06-2012
This is described in the "man" pages for Shells such as the Posix Shell and Korn Shell.
The single bracket version [ ] is a shorthand version of the unix "test" command and is described in outline terms in the Shell manual and in detail in "man test".
The double bracket version [[ ]] is a Conditional Expression and is described in that section of the Shell manual.
There is much overlap in basic syntax between the two. They have totally different syntax for boolean "and/or" conditions.

In your examples, both of them need mandatory double quotes round the string variable $z. Only the second example gave a syntax error, but both were wrong.

Code:
z=`cat T|cut -d, -f2,2`
if [[ -z "$z" ]]
then
       echo success
else
       echo fail
fi

if [ -z "$z" ]
then
       echo success
else
       echo fail
fi

Beware that the "cut" will misbehave if there is one field in the data file but no commas. Try it.

Always put string variables in double quotes and you will have much less trouble with syntax.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

If with set operators

Hi guys, I'm trying to run more than one "if" condition at once. What I want is something like if ] or ] or ]; then ... I can't remember the syntax for using this or/and set operators. Can someone please assist/ jog my memory? thanks Khoom (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operators

I am trying to understand Does the following: {tmp+=$10} Mean take $10 and add them all up and call it tmp thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

And and OR Operators with If Statement.

Hi All, I have 2 variables. Result1 and Result2. I want to put a condition that if Both are True then echo "All True" Else Show Error. Right now i am doing this and getting error. if ; then echo "All True" else echo "Failed" fi; Error. line 8: ' Solution: Looking for (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkashif
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operators

I really don't know the meaning of these operators. Could someone explain the meanings so I can make my test for today? <, <=, ==, !=, >=, >, ||, &&, ! ~ , !~ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Erjen
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operators

I really don't know the meaning of these operators. Could someone explain the meanings? <, <=, ==, !=, >=, >, ||, &&, ! ~ , !~ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Erjen
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash -o -v -R operators

I do not know the use of the -o -v -R operators. This is what the info says and I am confused of what optname and varname mean, are they just normal variable? -o optname True if the shell option optname is enabled. See the list of options under the ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - set status according to condition SYNOPSIS
test expr DESCRIPTION
Test evaluates the expression expr. If the value is true the exit status is null; otherwise the exit status is non-null. If there are no arguments the exit status is non-null. The following primitives are used to construct expr. -r file True if the file exists (is accessible) and is readable. -w file True if the file exists and is writable. -x file True if the file exists and has execute permission. -e file True if the file exists. -f file True if the file exists and is a plain file. -d file True if the file exists and is a directory. -s file True if the file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t fildes True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is the same file as /dev/cons. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. (Deprecated.) -n s1 True if the length of string s1 is non-zero. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are arithmetically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, or -le may be used in place of -eq. The (nonstandard) construct -l string, meaning the length of string, may be used in place of an integer. These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! unary negation operator -o binary or operator -a binary and operator; higher precedence than -o ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. The primitives -b, -u, -g, and -s return false; they are recognized for compatibility with POSIX. Notice that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to test. Notice also that parentheses and equal signs are meaningful to rc and must be enclosed in quotes. EXAMPLES
Test is a dubious way to check for specific character strings: it uses a process to do what an rc(1) match or switch statement can do. The first example is not only inefficient but wrong, because test understands the purported string "-c" as an option. if (test $1 '=' "-c") echo OK # wrong! A better way is if (~ $1 -c) echo OK Test whether is in the current directory. test -f abc -o -d abc SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/test.c SEE ALSO
rc(1) TEST(1)