Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace special characters with Escape characters? Post 302587596 by vgersh99 on Thursday 5th of January 2012 10:04:57 AM
Old 01-05-2012
Code:
echo 'test!=123' | sed 's:[!@#$%^&*()=-]:\\&:g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to escape special characters in Korn shell script

Hi, I would like to display the following message from my shell (Korn) script Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt" My code looks as follows print "Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt"" However, when I execute the script, I get the following output Copy old_file.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print $1 escape all special characters

I'm using awk '{print $1}' and it works most of the time to print the contents of a mysql query loop, but occationally I get a field with some special character in it, is there a way to tell awk to ignore all special characters between my FS? I have >186K records, so building a list of ALL special... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace new line with <br /> & escape special characters

Hi, I wish to replace a new line with br (html) but it doesn't seem to work message=$(echo ${FORM_message} | tr '\r' '<br \/>' ) what it gives me seems to be ... b...? I am also having problem escaping hash sign in cut command: list=$(echo "$line" | cut -d'\#;\#' -f1) ; my intention is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ted_chou12
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to replace special characters in vi?

Hi , I want to replace the special characters in the file. For eg: cat abc 1234/4455/acb 234/k/lll/ 234`fs`fd I want to replace / and ` with the letter a and the output should like below. How to achieve this. 1234a4455aacb 234akallla 234afsafd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to escape special characters

Hello Everyone, I need to read an encrypted password from the user and update that value in an xml file. I am trying to use "sed" for searching the appropriate tag and replacing this new value that get from the user. Since the encrypted password can contain special characters(like /,\,&,etc),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majose
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace special characters?

Hi Unix Guru, I have an requirement for replace some specail characters in a file, my file came from mainframe. please see below example: when open it with vi 17896660|89059215|04/24/1998 00:00:00.000000| abc 123-453-1312^M<85>^M<85>|124557 if I run cat -v I got following:... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
25 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape Special Characters in Expect programming?

Hi, I have written a unix expect utility "ssh-login.exp" which connects (ssh) to remote host and execute some shell script. I am calling this "ssh-login.exp" utility from another shell script. "ssh-login.exp" takes username, password, host and shell script path to execute on remote host. All... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahesh Desai
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape all special characters?

I have an application which I am integrating with that accepts the password via a CLI. I am running in to issues with passwords that contain special characters. I tried to escape them all, but I ran in to an issue where I cannot escape the characters ' ] My attempt is as follows: $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMG1978
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to replace special characters?

Hi Team, I have data like this. |*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| Would like to add zero (0) before the decimal point where there is no zero as |*|0.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| How to replace |*|. with |*|0. I tried below command which didn't work echo '|*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*' | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
4 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)