Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting matching strings from different files Post 302587412 by tarun_agrawal on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 10:37:33 PM
Old 01-04-2012
you can try this as well
Code:
grep -f <(awk '{print $1}' f1) f2 > f3

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment How to use code tags

Last edited by Franklin52; 01-05-2012 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

matching characters between strings

please send the logic or program to find the matching characters between two strings for ex string1 :abc string2 :adc no .of matching characters is 2(a,c) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: akmtcs
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings not matching

Hi, I have got two variables holding strings, if i echo them, they print the same value but if i compare the condition fails?? can somebody suggest something?? I have checked the word count too, they are also same. Thanks, Atul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulmt
4 Replies

3. Programming

help with matching strings

In C programming how do i check if a char is equal to a vowel , like a e i o or u, small or big case. in my function i have the parameter like *word, and i am using word in a for loop, to check if its equal. i use tolower(word)=='a' || ..... but for some reason it only matches on lower case and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with finding matching position on strings

I have a DNA file like below and I am able to write a short program which finds/not an input motif, but I dont understand how I can include in the code to report which position the motif was found. Example I want to find the first or all "GAT" motifs and want the program to report which position... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking matching strings

I have a list of file names. However in some instances I might have a "-" at the beginning of the filename or an "=". For example I might have something like this set Lst = "file1 file2 file3 -file4 file5=" I want to pick up the ones having "-" at the beginning or "=" and store them in... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 2 lines from 2 files having matching strings

Hello All Unix Users, I am still new to Unix, however I am eager to learn it.. I have 2 files, some lines have some matching substrings, I would like to concatenate these lines into one lines, leaving other untouched. Here below is an example for that.. File 1 (fasta file): >292183... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohamed EL Hadi
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append matching strings in a file

Hi , I am writing a shell script to check pvsizes in linux box. # for i in `cat vgs1` > do > echo "########### $i ###########" > pvs|grep -i $i|awk '{print $2,$1,$5}'>pvs_$i > pvs|grep -i $i|awk '{print $1}'|while read a > do > fdisk -l $a|head -2|tail -1|awk '{print $2,$3}'>pvs_$i1 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanduri
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching only the strings I provide - sed

Hello.. I am currently learning sed and have found myself in some trouble.. I wrote this command: sed -ne 's/*\(\{2\}*\{2\}*\{2\}*\).*\(\{2\}*\{2\}*\{2\}*\).*/\1\2/p' and some of the output i get is : ->stockholm->paris<-stockholmpi<-tokyo->paris<-stockholmpi... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jozo95
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract the partial matching strings among two files?

I have a two file as shown below, file:1 >Contig_152_415 (REVERSE SENSE) >Contig_152_420 (REVERSE SENSE) >Contig_152_472 (REVERSE SENSE) >Contig_152_484 (REVERSE SENSE) File:2 >Contig_152:49081-49929 ATCGAGCAGCGCCGCGTGCGGTGCACCCTTGTGCAGATCGGGAGTAACCACGCGCACGGC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
2 Replies
GAPPLETVIEWER(1)                                                        GNU                                                       GAPPLETVIEWER(1)

NAME
gappletviewer - Load and runs an applet SYNOPSIS
appletviewer [OPTION]... URL... appletviewer [OPTION]... -code CODE appletviewer [OPTION]... -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT DESCRIPTION
The appletviewer tool loads and runs an applet. Use the first form to test applets specified by tag. The URL should resolve to an HTML document from which the appletviewer will extract applet tags. The APPLET, EMBED and OBJECT tags are supported. If a given document contains multiple applet tags, all the applets will be loaded, with each applet appearing in its own window. Likewise, when multiple URLs are specified, each applet tag instance is given its own window. If a given document contains no recognized tags the appletviewer does nothing. appletviewer http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ Use the second form to test an applet in development. This form allows applet tag attributes to be supplied on the command line. Only one applet may be specified using the -code option. The -code option overrides the URL form -- any URLs specified will be ignored. appletviewer -code Test.class -param datafile,data.txt gcjwebplugin uses the third form to communicate with the appletviewer through named pipes. OPTIONS
URL OPTIONS -debug This option is not yet implemented but is provided for compatibility. -encoding CHARSET Use this option to specify an alternate character encoding for the specified HTML page. APPLET TAG OPTIONS -code CODE Use the -code option to specify the value of the applet tag CODE attribute. -codebase CODEBASE Use the -codebase option to specify the value of the applet tag CODEBASE attribute. -archive ARCHIVE Use the -archive option to specify the value of the applet tag ARCHIVE attribute. -width WIDTH Use the -width option to specify the value of the applet tag WIDTH attribute. -height HEIGHT Use the -height option to specify the value of the applet tag HEIGHT attribute. -param NAME,VALUE Use the -param option to specify values for the NAME and VALUE attributes of an applet PARAM tag. PLUGIN OPTION -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT gcjwebplugin uses the -plugin option to specify the named pipe the appletviewer should use for receiving commands (INPUT) and the one it should use for sending commands to gcjwebplugin (OUTPUT). DEBUGGING OPTION -verbose Use the -verbose option to have the appletviewer print debugging messages. STANDARD OPTIONS -help Use the -help option to have the appletviewer print a usage message, then exit. -version Use the -version option to have the appletviewer print its version, then exit. -JOPTION Use the -J option to pass OPTION to the virtual machine that will run the appletviewer. Unlike other options, there must not be a space between the -J and OPTION. BUGS
SEE ALSO
AUTHOR
0.98 2010-07-05 GAPPLETVIEWER(1)