Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nslookup command
Operating Systems Solaris nslookup command Post 302587323 by frappa on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 02:35:49 PM
Old 01-04-2012
hi,

you have to configure the nameservers to query for nslookup to work, or it' possible that already configured nameservers are not reachable.

in the first case, edit /etc/inet resolv.conf so that it contains the ip addresses of your nameservers (those may be your company nameservers or public nameservers), like:
Code:
nameserver nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the ip address of the nameserver.

in the second case, it may be a networking issue or some issue with the configured nameservers.
see ya
fra

P.S.
it may be valuable to have a look at http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/solari...iguration.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

named and nslookup

Guys , Am using Linux - Red Hat 6.1 . My DNS and nslookup command was working fine and ppl. can resolve through this server . but i changed something in /etc/named.conf , that stopped the DNS . The named proccess is working , but nslookup command is not , i get this error message : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

NSLOOKUP script

Hi Anyone know of a quick and simple way to script an NSLOOKUP's from a list/text file? Thanks, Gav (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gavcollins
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

nslookup strangness

hi, what would cause the nslookup to work one way but not the other? for most machine it works both ways. >nslookup 172.18.10.235 Server: 172.16.17.3 Address: 172.16.17.3#53 235.10.18.172.in-addr.arpa name = machine1.prod.local >nslookup machine1 Server: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: purest
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

nslookup command?

Hai guys, In which way does the command,"nslookup", will be helpful? Please give me examples. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nslookup for Unix

I am connecting from windows via Putty to some other Unix server. How can I display my current windows MachineName/NTID in putty? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

nslookup output

Hi All, If I give the hostname followed by nslookup, I get the output like below, commandprompt>nslookup efgh Using /etc/hosts on: xyz looking up FILES Trying DNS Non-authoritative answer: Name: abcd Address: 47.47.47.47 Aliases: efgh I am not sure on the bolded ones. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajakct84
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

nslookup: am I doing it right?

Hi guys, I'm back to get some help again :) I have a file that has a list of IP addresses, and I use nslookup in my script to resolve hostnames of those IPs. the problem I'm facing is that I not all the hostnames got resolved! and I don't know why. sometimes the same duplicate IP returns a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
8 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Nslookup!!! Please look up!!!

Hi all Nslookup command returns!!!! Code: nslookup 10.91.44.29 Server: 127.0.0.1 Address: 127.0.0.1#53 29.44.91.in-addr.arpa name = station1.example.com Code: nslookup station1.example.com Server: 127.0.0.1 Address: 127.0.0.1#53 Name: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

nslookup hanging

Hey folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a bit of a newbie at "coding" (obviously, scripting is a teensy bit different than coding) and I've run into a problem that I just can't seem to get around. I'm going through a list of servers to check their name, IP, reverse-NSLOOKUP name and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bearwhale
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk nslookup

Hi, I have a rather simple awk statement to perform an nslookup on a file (list of IPs). If the lookup yields a result, then it sends it to a file. If no result, there is no output. I've been trying to use !NR or !NF with an if statement to make the output state "NA" if there is no result,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umang2382
5 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)