Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to reduce the size of volume group? Post 302587086 by pinga123 on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 05:06:30 AM
Old 01-04-2012
I did this.
Code:
# pvresize --setphysicalvolumesize 150G /dev/xvdb5
  WARNING: /dev/xvdb5: Overriding real size. You could lose data.
  Physical volume "/dev/xvdb5" changed
  1 physical volume(s) resized / 0 physical volume(s) not resized

and able to update lvdisplay and vgdisplay now they both show 150gb .

Code:
# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vg00
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  8
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                3
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               150.00 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              38399
  Alloc PE / Size       25625 / 100.10 GB
  Free  PE / Size       12774 / 49.90 GB
  VG UUID               NL5ws1-uaxQ-Wmtm-75GZ-WnQX-S7Vd-XeHJuS

Code:
# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/xvdb5
  VG Name               vg00
  PV Size               150.00 GB / not usable 3.81 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              38399
  Free PE               12799
  Allocated PE          25600
  PV UUID               D7Cn29-bDLg-u153-LXEf-Jrel-y255-RCjEb6

But there is still problem in fdisk output cylinder size is not in sync????

Code:
Disk /dev/xvdb: 161.0 GB, 161061273600 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19581 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/xvdb1               1       26108   209712478+   5  Extended
/dev/xvdb5               1       26108   209712447   8e  Linux LVM

---------- Post updated at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
I recall there may be a vgmodify command but at the time I was using it, it was "at your own risk" unsupported still in developpment at HP and only very few non HP people (like me, perhaps methyl) knew and had access.
I know its included in hpux 11.31 ( sorry I have no, so no man to read...) but was it ported to linux?
Code:
# vgmodify
-bash: vgmodify: command not found

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check size of Volume Group

Did anyone knows how to check size/usage of a Volume Group in AIX 4.3.3? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
4 Replies

2. Solaris

How to reduce the size of a logical volume in solaris 9

Hi, I have the following problem. I just have a new machine with mirroring. The logical volume for /opt is dimensionned to 75 GB which is to much. I want a volume of 10 GB. How can I reduce the size ? I tried to reduce the size of the slice from 75 GB to 10 GB, but the size of the logical volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
6 Replies

3. AIX

Volume Group Size

Hello, Can somebody please help. I'm able to view volume groups by using the command "lsvg", how can I view what space is available to that particular volume group Many Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ugxd14
3 Replies

4. AIX

Volume Group - PP Size

Hi Friends- We know that the Max PP size in a Normal VG and Big VG is 1 GB and in case of scalable VG it is 128 G. My Questions: 1) What is the min PP size allowed for Normal VG, Big VG and Scalable VG? 2) Why is the max PP Size in Normal and Big VG is 1 G and 128 G in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deshaipet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to deactivate a Volume Group

We want to deactivate a VG but failed, because one of the LVs created there is busy. When we are trying to unmount the LV, it is telling "not mounted" and if I execute mount command it will be informing us "already mounted". dmsetup info is indicating "Open Count = 1". Please help me, how we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Increase Size of a Volume Group

Hi I have hp-ux 10.20 I have have my operating system VG of 7 GB in a 36Gb disk. So I have like 29GB of unused disk space. There is any way to increase my VG size, or to add another VG in the same disk so I can use all the disk space? Another question, what is the maximun size that a VG can ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmoren
10 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to extend volume group(VG)

Would some help me on this below I am trying to extend file system on AIX and however unable to extend the file system. 0516-306 extendvg: Unable to find physical volume 20 in the Device Configuration Database. 0516-321 extendvg: Physical volume u01-lv is not configured. 0516-792... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
15 Replies

8. AIX

/usr/sbin/extendvg: Unable to extend volume group

Dear Expret, Help me about my issue, I trying add new disk to volume Group but error: step add new disk to volume group. 1. ~Change a Volume Group Add a Physical Volume to a Volume Group Remove a Physical Volume from a Volume Group Reorganize a Volume Group... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
6 Replies

9. AIX

Restvg does not assign the correct PP size to volume group

hello, i am running an AIX6.1 machine and i am trying to restore a volume group that i backed up using mkvgdata command from another server. although i checked file .data and i make sure that PP size for this volume group is 128, when i run restvg command to restore it, it fails because it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies