Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting Date Field with Sort -k :/ Post 302586849 by Glitch100 on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 12:47:31 PM
Old 01-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
@whyte_rhino
There are rules for posting homework of which the O/P will be aware. Otherwise we assume a commercial environment.
This situation with weird sorts is often reached after poor system design.

On re-reading, I see that you know a filename which did not appear in post #1. Either a tutor or a someone working on the same problem?
Methyl, appreciate the help, however I did have that sort the first time round, starting the years first but I still have the same problem; Could it be my translation messing about with the ',' and '/'s?

Also rhyno, I did try what you said before methyl posted an answer;

I swapped the date to the first part of the file, and then used the delimiter as the / to skip apart however I thought it would but no luck.

So the problem I still have is that the -k only does one part of sorting.
So in this example it has only sorted the last part of testData.csv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a field in a file having date values

Hi All, I am having a pipe delimited file .In this file the 3rd column is having date values.I need to get the min date and max date from that file. I have used cut -d '|' test.dat -f 3|sort -u But it is not sorting the date .How to sort the date column using unix commands Thanks ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort files on date field

:cool: Hi all, I have a pecular issue in sorting these files in Solaris environment. All the below files are modified on November 4th, but I want to sort these files as per date column (eg: 01May07_1623 = ddmmmyy_hhmm) Nov 4 18:27 SONYELEC00.GI22973.01May07_1623.gpg Nov 4 18:27... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivaastrogun
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alpha on 1st field, numerical on 2nd field (sci notation)

I want to sort alphabetically on the first field and sort in descending numerical order on the 2nd field. With a normal "sort -r -n" it does this: abc ||| 5e-05 ||| bla abc ||| 3 ||| ble def ||| 1 ||| abc def ||| 0.2 ||| def As you can see it ignores the fact that 5e-05 is actually 0.00005... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort two columns in a field, one of them being a date

Hi, I have a set of columns in a csv file, my first row being an integer and 2nd being a date. I want to first sort it using the first column and then by the second. for e.g. i have , 1234,09/05/2009,hi 5678,01/01/2008,hi 1234,11/03/2006,hello 5678,28/07/2010,hello i tried this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting file by a field, and then by another field.

Hi all, Sorry the title is a mess, but did not find a better description at the time. So here is my problem: I have an input file: 8:Mass40s -- 0 48:Mass40s -- 0 67:Mass40s -- 0 86:Mass40s -- 0 105:Mass40s -- 0 9:Mass -- 1 49:Mass -- 86... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexis Duarte
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting on two fields time field and number field

Hi, I have a file that has data in it that says 00:01:48.233 1212 00:01:56.233 345 00:09:01.221 5678 00:12:23.321 93444 The file has more line than this but i just wanted to put in a snippet to ask how I would get the highest number with time stamp into another file. So from the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat4519
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort field by date mm/dd/yyyy

Hello Group, I would like to sort the below file by date (first year then month and day) and I used the following command but it does not work sort -n -t"/" -k3 -k1 -k2 "sample original file" 12/28/2009,1.0353 12/31/2009,1.0357 12/30/2009,1.0364 12/29/2009,1.0366 12/24/2009,1.0386... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

10. AIX

Sort by date field in AIX

I wanted to sort the below data on 4th field(comma seperator) based on month and date and time on AIX OS. Input data: 3,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,30 Jul 06:30 5,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,30 Jul 06:49 10,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,02 Jan 05:41 4,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,30 Jul 06:36 2,AJ,30 Jul 06:30,28 Jul 06:45 9,AJ,30 Jul... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
2 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult - Server Side Sort (SSS) result control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); use Net::LDAP::Util qw(ldap_error_name); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -age" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); if ($resp) { if ($resp->result) { my $attr = $resp->attr; print "Problem sorting, ",ldap_error_name($resp->result); print " ($attr)" if $attr; print " "; } else { print "Results are sorted "; } } else { print "Server does not support sorting "; } DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP sort request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.474 as defined in RFC-2891 A sort result control will be returned by the server in response to a search with a Server Side Sort control. If a sort result control is not returned then the user may assume that the server does not support sorting and the results are not sorted. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
attr If "result" indicates that there was a problem with sorting and that problem was due to one of the attributes specified in the sort control. "attr" is set to the name of the attribute causing the problem. result This is the result code that describes if the sort operation was sucessful. If will be one of the result codes describes below. METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. RESULT CODES
Possible results from a sort request are listed below. See Net::LDAP::Constant for a definition of each. LDAP_SUCCESS LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR LDAP_TIMELIMIT_EXCEEDED LDAP_STRONG_AUTH_REQUIRED LDAP_ADMIN_LIMIT_EXCEEDED LDAP_NO_SUCH_ATTRIBUTE LDAP_INAPPROPRIATE_MATCHING LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS LDAP_BUSY LDAP_UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM LDAP_OTHER SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::Sort, Net::LDAP::Control, http://ww.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-09-20 Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult(3)