Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Probably the dumbest question you've read in a while... Post 302586669 by Peasant on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 02:21:33 AM
Old 01-03-2012
You are probably in the wrong directory.

When you open a terminal, you will be positioned inside $HOME e.g /home/username
The script which you saved thru text editor is probably located on your desktop e.g /home/username/Desktop.

Be sure to check.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Peasant.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Read File question

Hello all, I am trying to write a simple script that will parse through a text/properties file and check a couple of if statements. Here is what I have so far: FILENAME=$1 while read line do echo $line done < $FILENAME When I call ./simple.sh testfile.txt I recieve a file or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamagra
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumbest UNIX question ever

I haven't used UNIX is several years. But I became pretty good at it and love it. But I am rusty. I know this is basic, but how do you copy and paste? The user guide says what I remember, to highlight the text and the right-click. But it isn't working. I don't know if this will matter,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arungavali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line question

Here is my script: #!/bin/sh days=10 temporal_folder=/tmp/`basename $0`-$$ blacklist=bob.txt mkdir $temporal_folder find /home -type f -atime +$days | \ while read file do while read line do if ; then owner=`ls -l $file | awk ' { print $3 } '` basename $file >>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The dumbest of dumb Text Search questions

I've done some due diligence by searching the forum for an answer, but to no avail. Excuse this most elementary of questions. Using grep I can search a file and derive the line number of the text I'm searching for. Now for the elementary part, how do I continue a search for a different search... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.T.
3 Replies

5. Programming

Question about read writer lock

From <<Advanced Programming in the Unix>> section 11.6, it says: Although implementations vary, readerwriter locks usually block additional readers if a lock is already held in read mode and a thread is blocked trying to acquire the lock in write mode. This prevents a constant stream of readers... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question with read command in ksh

Hi, I was writing a script to accept input using read. When I put !#/usr/bin/ksh in the beginning of the script, it accepts only 258 characters. And I remove it, it accepts more. I'm wondering what the difference is. Thanks in advance, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swmk18
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read mail question

how do I save a email I just read to a new file? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defaults read/write question

OSX 10.9 How does "defaults" know where to look for .plists? To expand: defaults read com.apple.finder is located in ~/Library/Preferences but, defaults read com.apple.mail is located in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist So my question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
0 Replies

10. Solaris

This must be the dumbest question ever posted -T5140 power button

I have a T5140 and cannot find the power switch -is there an on/off button? Good grief ! Thank you in advance. joe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joboy
3 Replies
gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)					   User Commands					gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)

NAME
gnome-desktop-item-edit - GNOME Desktop file editor SYNOPSIS
gnome-desktop-item-edit [--create-new] filename DESCRIPTION
gnome-desktop-item-edit is the GNOME Desktop file editor, which you can use to create or edit the .desktop (known as desktop) file. GNOME uses a standard desktop file specification as proposed by freedesktop.org. A desktop file consists of a number of name-value pairs that define how a desktop should organize a particular application. As this is defined as an open standard, integration of applications into GNOME Desktop is relatively straightforward. A basic entry in the desktop file must start with a tag called [Desktop Entry]. It can then have a number of name-value pairs as defined by the standard. The minimum entries are as follows: Name the name of the application Comment a textual description of the application which is displayed as a tooltip message by gnome-panel. When set appropri- ately, the comment can be localized within the same file. Exec the name of the actual executable Icon the file name of the icon image Type the desktop file type Categories a multi-string field which is used by gnome-panel to group applications into the appropriate categories. These desktop files provide the information to gnome-panel, which places the application in the appropriate locations on the panel. In a similar manner, the GNOME file manager (Nautilus) uses information from the desktop files to display the 'applications:///' view. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --create-new Creates a new .desktop file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the desktop file to be edited or viewed. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Editing an existing .desktop file example% gnome-desktop-item-edit fullpath/filename This command invokes the launcher dialog and loads the contents of the specified desktop file into the relevant fields. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-desktop-item-edit Executable for GNOME Desktop file editor /usr/share/applications/ Location of system desktop files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-panel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-panel(1), nautilus(1), attributes(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Ghee Teo, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2003 gnome-desktop-item-edit(1)